C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brakes are on my 2011 GS Callaway????

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:45 PM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What brakes are on my 2011 GS Callaway????

Ok, 20k miles on our 2011 SC606 Callaway-optioned Grand Sport coupe, brakes are worn, front especially.

What's on the car: 6-piston front, 4-piston rear silver-powdercoated calipers, massive cross-drilled rotors, individual puck pads.

I call the dealer to order rotors & pads for front. They need VIN#, end up selling me:
Front Rotors GM# 22812086 ACDelco# 177-1126 Cross-drilled rotors
Front Pads GM# 88909667 ACDelco# 17D731CH Standard pad (not puck pads)

I told the dealer parts guy that the car had the puck pads and HD rotors, ZO6 style. He said the parts he was selling me would work. I took everything home, got wheel off, and for sure these pads arent going to work in these calipers.

I do not have the Callaway Big Brake option, I know that for sure. I believe I have the HD/Z06 brakes though, but why is this standard duty parts coming up with my VIN?

Anyone run into this? Input?

Thanks

Robert
Old 09-22-2012, 09:47 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Pads are unique in compound, Z06 to GS. But either will physically fit.

The dealer should be able to source the right pads by using the SPI Label info, or simply plugging GS into their system.

I hope this helps
Old 09-23-2012, 02:37 PM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Callaway Chris
Pads are unique in compound, Z06 to GS. But either will physically fit.

The dealer should be able to source the right pads by using the SPI Label info, or simply plugging GS into their system.

I hope this helps
Thanks Chris. Which aftermarket padlet would you recommend for aggressive street use? Stick w stock semi-metallic, or a Hawk PC ceramic, or other? And, does the GS have a brake pad wear system, a padlet with a wear sensor/circuit? If so, which aftermarket accommodates this?

Thanks Chris, et al
Old 09-23-2012, 03:39 PM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Carbotech will likely chime in here.

San
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 491 Likes on 418 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I would go with a 1 piece design not the pucks. Take a look at the Carbotech 1521 compound in 1 piece design. I will be happy to help you give me a call at 216-780-8825.

We set out to redesign the new One Piece all on our own. We wanted to make sure it was perfect and even more user friendly. This new design will drop right into the caliper and you don't have to take out the caliper pins or spring clips. The spring clips are critical in keeping the brake pad square to the rotor surface and ensuring that the pads slide smoothly along the pins. The spring clips also assist in reducing the noise inside the caliper.

This new one piece will make changing pads a lot faster and easier. The newly designed Carbotech One Piece will give longer pad life and a little more bite as well. We are molding the new One Piece pad just like we do with all the C6, C5, and C4 brake pads.

We are also using industry leading NRS technology. If you're not familiar with NRS technology it gives molded pads up to 8 times stronger sheer strength vs. conventional molded brake pads and riveted pads. NRS technology also helps in reducing noise and vibration of the brake pad inside the caliper as well as aiding in longer wearing pads. We use NRS technology on all C6 & C5 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

F $290 R $246 Less 5%.

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28

Get notified of new replies

To What brakes are on my 2011 GS Callaway????

Quick Reply: What brakes are on my 2011 GS Callaway????