C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 C6 6-Speed Reverse Lockout (not locking out of reverse)

Old 11-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Joey41920
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 C6 6-Speed Reverse Lockout (not locking out of reverse)

Hey Everyone,

This is my first Corvette and I have had it since Feb. I was driving the other day and went to shift into 5th gear and felt the shifter slip further to the right than where 5th is (close to reverse). I put it in 5th then shifted to 6th. Out of curiousity, I slowed back down to 4th gear, went to shift to 5th and then felt the shifter slip past 5th again (towards reverse). It has done this a few times now in the past few weeks but the majority of the time it will (not lock me out of reverse). Does this sound like a reverse lockout solenoid going bad?

Thanks for your help!

-Joey

Last edited by Joey41920; 12-05-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added a few details in parenthesis
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Maybe.

Since it's easy to do, I suggest checking the Reverse Lockout fuse in the engine compartment. It's #13, 25 amp. Frankly I don't know if a blown fuse would cause your symptoms but like I said it's easy to check.

If that's okay then I have this thread to offer on DIY replacement of the Reverse Lockout solenoid:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-solenoid.html
Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey41920
Hey Everyone,

This is my first Corvette and I have had it since Feb. I was driving the other day and went to shift into 5th gear and felt the shifter slip further to the right than where 5th is. I put it in 5th then shifted to 6th. Out of curiousity, I slowed back down to 4th gear, went to shift to 5th and then felt the shifter slip past 5th again. It has done this a few times now in the past few weeks but the majority of the time it will lock me out of 6th. Does this sound like a reverse lockout solenoid going bad?

Thanks for your help!

-Joey
It sounds like a gear selector with worn-out bushings.

You could safely test the lockout by trying to select reverse at, say, 3mph. Mine won't disengage unless the car is at a dead stop.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:56 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Reverse is normally locked out (you cannot select R with engine off), and ECM only energizes the solenoid below 3 mph. So it's unlikely to be the solenoid IMO, since it's obviously working if you're able to shift into R at all. So definitely a different issue.

I'd start by checking the shift box and shift rod collar. If they look good, tighten all 3 T-40 bolts to 22 ft/lbs and hope that was the problem. The shift box is relatively cheap, by the way. And wears out over time, due to plastic parts. But I like it . Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 11-30-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Joey41920
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RicK T
Maybe.

Since it's easy to do, I suggest checking the Reverse Lockout fuse in the engine compartment. It's #13, 25 amp. Frankly I don't know if a blown fuse would cause your symptoms but like I said it's easy to check.

If that's okay then I have this thread to offer on DIY replacement of the Reverse Lockout solenoid:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-solenoid.html
I checked the fuse with an Ohm-meter and am getting 0.3 Ohms so the fuse is good to go. Thanks for the link to the DIY, I will probably end up trying this since it isn't that expensive to replace.

Originally Posted by torquetube
It sounds like a gear selector with worn-out bushings.

You could safely test the lockout by trying to select reverse at, say, 3mph. Mine won't disengage unless the car is at a dead stop.
I tried this and 3 out of 5 times it locked me out, the other 2 it let me slip the shift lever over towards reverse.

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Reverse is normally locked out (you cannot select R with engine off), and ECM only energizes the solenoid below 3 mph. So it's unlikely to be the solenoid IMO, since it's obviously working if you're able to shift into R at all. So definitely a different issue.

I'd start by checking the shift box and shift rod collar. If they look good, tighten all 3 T-40 bolts to 22 ft/lbs and hope that was the problem. The shift box is relatively cheap, by the way. And wears out over time, due to plastic parts. But I like it . Good luck.
I didn't know about reverse lockout with the engine off so I tried this and I can put my car in reverse with the engine off. I will check those bolts though and see if that helps. The problem with this issue is that it is intermittent so it is hard to troubleshoot.

I appreciate you guys helping me out!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:43 AM
BadSalad
Advanced

Had same issue with mine (2006) a few years ago. Intermittent at first & became more consistent. It was lock out solenoid GM part# 12523300. Located near top of trans.Mine was still under warranty & dealer fixed. But have read if your hands are small enough that it’s possible to change without lowering the trans.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Joey41920
Heel & Toe

Cool, thanks BadSalad. Sadly, mine is not under warranty but I will try to replace it myself. I will let you all know if this fixes it.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey41920
Sadly, mine is not under warranty but I will try to replace it myself.
Just to make sure it's the solenoid, disconnect it first. If you cannot engage reverse, then you might have an electrical issue. If you can, then it's going to be the solenoid for sure. Check the wires/harness and connectors too. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually this is how it works, from the 2008 service manual.

In the OFF state, meaning the solenoid is off it is supplied battery power, 12 volts. This happens when the car is off or on and under 2 miles an hour.

In the ON state, meaning the solenoid is on, you have an open circuit, 0 volts. The car is on and exceeding 2 mph. The command for this is provided by the ECM.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:10 PM
unethikl
Advanced

Sorry for the resurrection, but did you get your problem fixed?
My 2007 is doing this and its driving me nuts.
So is it the reverse solenoid for sure? Or should I check elsewhere first?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 PM
1972bluelt1
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by TMyers
Actually this is how it works, from the 2008 service manual.

In the OFF state, meaning the solenoid is off it is supplied battery power, 12 volts. This happens when the car is off or on and under 2 miles an hour.

In the ON state, meaning the solenoid is on, you have an open circuit, 0 volts. The car is on and exceeding 2 mph. The command for this is provided by the ECM.
So I understand this correctly. With the engine off, I should be able to shift into rev and it is only locked out with the engine running and the car exceeding 2 mph?

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 C6 6-Speed Reverse Lockout (not locking out of reverse)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 C6 6-Speed Reverse Lockout (not locking out of reverse)