C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift to reverse - back up light switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:19 AM
Jmelz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift to reverse - back up light switch?

Today, I had a new problem. Yesterday, I replaced the head unit in my 2005 vert, and took it to a local dealer who hooked it up to the tech 2 and unlocked the stereo. Drove back to work, drove home, no problem.

Drove to work today, drove to a restaurant for lunch. "SHIFT TO REVERSE" won't go away. Car won't lock, sat in restaurant a bit stressed out.

So I left work a bit early, got home, same thing. I knew if I didn't get it to recognize reverse, I'd have a dead battery. I very very carefully kept sliding the shifter in and out of reverse, until it finally "caught" and the relay turned the accessory mode off. Something is just barely working there... I restarted the car, and noticed that I don't appear to have reverse lights working. I did the method again, and got it to cut off.

Did some reading today, saw a few other threads, and the conclusion I've come to is that the reverse light switch is bad. I bought a new one locally, and have jacked the car up.

What is involved in replacing this thing? Any pointers? Any pics? I could use a hand...

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never done this, but I thought you could do this without removing exhaust components? Also test the switch. The switch could be good, since the shift linkage could be out of adjustment.

Removal Procedure:

1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
2. Remove the catalytic converters. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement - Left Side and Catalytic Converter Replacement - Right Side .
3. Disconnect the backup lamp switch electrical connector.
4. Remove the backup lamp switch.

Installation Procedure:

1. Install the backup lamp switch. Tighten the backup lamp switch to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).
2. Connect the backup lamp switch electrical connector.
3. Install the catalytic converters. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement - Left Side and Catalytic Converter Replacement - Right Side .
4. Lower the vehicle.

Last edited by calemasters; 02-02-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Jmelz
Advanced

Originally Posted by calemasters
I have never done this, but I thought you could do this without removing exhaust components? Also test the switch. The switch could be good, since the shift linkage could be out of adjustment.

Removal Procedure:

1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
2. Remove the catalytic converters. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement - Left Side and Catalytic Converter Replacement - Right Side .
3. Disconnect the backup lamp switch electrical connector.
4. Remove the backup lamp switch.

Installation Procedure:

1. Install the backup lamp switch. Tighten the backup lamp switch to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).
2. Connect the backup lamp switch electrical connector.
3. Install the catalytic converters. Refer to Catalytic Converter Replacement - Left Side and Catalytic Converter Replacement - Right Side .
4. Lower the vehicle.
Thanks for the info. I have the vehicle up. Unfortunately I got the wrong part at the local ac delco warehouse, and they are closed on saturday. 89060011 is the correct part. I saw in another thread that someone mentioned using 24221125, but that is NOT correct for a manual transmission, but rather an automatic.

I can see the switch clear as day, and it seems easily reachable without removing anything to get to it. I was worried that fluid would leak out if I removed it. I also saw in another thread that sometimes it will come back fine if you test it with a multimeter, but that is because it could be grounding out internally.

Legal Alien (a forum member here that has had several posts on the subject) said something about using a temporary work around until the part came in. I would love to know what that is.

Last edited by Jmelz; 02-02-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the benefit of future searches correct part number for the back up lamp switch (2 on the 05, 1 on the 06 thru 13) is

89060011 or 8906 0011 or 8906-0011

It's an ac delco part and a quick google today has me finding it for about $38.

It's come down $7 in 12 months! It must be the "c7 effect."
Old 02-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Jmelz
Advanced

Well, I got them out. Legal Alien was a great help. I used a 22mm deep socket (not the deepest, but deeper than a standard), and after applying a bit of elbow grease, I got them both out. I took a pic of them (1 is top, 2 is bottom) and then broke out the multimeter. Both tested fine for continuity when I depressed the roller ball. I then put them back in the transmission just in case I 'knocked something loose".

I think that the bottom one had finally had it; I couldn't find the 'sweet spot' any more, and had to disconnect the battery this time to cut accessory power.

Hopefully I can get this sorted out and have a happy ending by midweek.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Jmelz
Advanced

Update:

Replacing both of these fixed my problem. The vendor I dealt with got me the parts fast and installing them was very easy.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 PM
tripleblack05
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jmelz,

thank you for getting this issue going again. I recently purchased my first corvette, love it but I am finding out my dream car early model 05 Z51 6 speed could become a nightmare. I was getting the steering column lock message and got that to go away and in the process found the shift to reverse switch unplugged on the passenger side of the transmission and that seems to have fixed the column lock message, along with the COH eliminator. Tonight i got the shift to reverse message, but I was in reverse and it did shut the engine off but not the car. I will do some checking on my switches and see if that works.

Thanks for your input.
tripleblack05
Old 03-28-2013, 12:29 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

did it work before you swapped the radio ? maybe you bumper the shifter box and you just need to adjust it. otherwise you have BAD LUCK.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
sgrinavi
Advanced

Mine started acting up a few weeks ago - are both switches the same P/N? (89060011 )
Old 04-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both switches are the same part number.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 PM
SBEd
2nd Gear

Default Shift to reverse problem

My 2005 C6 coupe had the same "shift to reverse" problem that would not allow me to fully shut down the car even though the manual trans was in reverse. The problem appears to have been with the ECM that somehow had water intrusion. The parts that were replaced: ECM #19210071 and two relays #19116057. After replacement, the BCM, RCDLR, and ECM had to be reprogrammed. Not cheap, but after three weeks, so far, so good.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:56 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Sad to see this C5 problem carried over to the C6......thanks GM!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Shift to reverse - back up light switch?

Quick Reply: Shift to reverse - back up light switch?