C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport Brake Dust

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:52 AM
C5-2003
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Grand Sport Brake Dust

The brake dust on my 2011 Grand Sport is horrendous. Never seen so much brake dust. Would appreciate any information on possible replacement pads that are quiet and extremely low dust. GS only has 3100 miles but I am ready to replace the pads to get rid of this level of brake dust. Yeah it's that bad. Thanks for any info/help based on your experience.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree, driving me nuts, can't drive 50 miles without having to clean the wheels due to the pink fairy dust. I've heard the ceramic pads are much better, but not sure how much they reduce stopping power. Anybody?
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Carbotech 1521 brake pad is a low dust quiet performance street pad that will not decrease stopping ability.

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.

If interested let me know, I will be happy to help.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 AM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
Carbotech 1521 brake pad is a low dust quiet performance street pad that will not decrease stopping ability.

The Carbotech™ 1521™ is our high performance street compound. The 1521™ compound is known for its release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. 1521™ is also a very low dusting and low noise compound with an excellent initial bite. This compound's excellent linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Carbotech™ 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 800°F (426°C+). 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle or fleet vehicle. Carbotech™ 1521™ is NOT recommended for ANY track use.

Crap, guess I need to add this to my order too for the GF's GS. That thing dust more than mine and it just gets cruised around occasionally. Can you PM me the price for these as well? Thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by carbotech adam

Do they squeak?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:03 AM
0MarylandSpeed
Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Hawk Performance ceramic work great and are very low noise and dust! I use this compound on several of my own cars!

http://marylandspeed.com/hawk-one-pi...rt-p-3265.html
Old 03-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Do they squeak?
No noise should not be an issue.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:16 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by C5-2003
The brake dust on my 2011 Grand Sport is horrendous. Never seen so much brake dust. Would appreciate any information on possible replacement pads that are quiet and extremely low dust. GS only has 3100 miles but I am ready to replace the pads to get rid of this level of brake dust. Yeah it's that bad. Thanks for any info/help based on your experience.
as others here have stated... go ceramic pad/padlets

i did on my 2011 GS and dust has almost gone completely. no noise problems at all. that and replaced my tires to Nitto Invo non run flats, now i have no dust, quieter ride, smoother ride.

very satisfied
Old 03-22-2013, 03:38 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Do they squeak?
Just don't get padlets . Ordered CT padlets and squealed worse than anything I've heard in my 51 years. Just got the replacement single-piece pads and am waiting for CT to answer if the front pads are supposed to be chamfered or not before installing them (rear ones are chamfered, but fronts are not). CT's owner warmed me the rear pads could squeal a little since they haven't found the answer to avoid it, but I haven't read anything to that effect. And even if that's the case, the stock ones also squealed a little when cold, so I'd be fine with that. I don't like to use aftermarket brake pads, but didn't have a choice with the GS, since I just can't live with the insane red dust from the stockers. It's a shame GM didn't offer their ceramics on GS sizes. Oh well. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed
Hawk Performance ceramic work great and are very low noise and dust! I use this compound on several of my own cars!

Agreed. I've run Hawk HPs on my last two vettes. Low dusting, no noise, good bite for the street and great price.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Had the same problem with my Z51 brakes. Switched to GM ceramics about five years ago and have had little/no dust problems since. Braking performance is fine for street driving.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tape over the brake vents! Hah!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:11 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed

I installed the one piece Hawk ceramic pads that I purchased from MarylandSpeed........they work great, and much less brake dust!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 AM
kmikem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to clean my rims constantly as well, pretty much every time I drive it. The front wheels obviously experience the worst amount. I purchased some Hawk performance ceramic 1pc sets. Waiting for them to arrive. Can't wait to get them on the car.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Bob Sandy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried applying Armorall wheel protectant?

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...?product_id=33

A friend recommended it and I was VERY sceptical. It REALLY works. If I apply it after a wash, then I usually don't see brake dust until I'm about ready to wash the car again anyway....

I love the braking and really didn't want to change it so I'm glad I found this. Give it a try before you go to the expense of changing pads.

Bob
Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 AM
C5-2003
Instructor

For those who have purchased Hawk pads......what model of HAWK brake pads have you purchased and your experience with them. Looking for no noise and extremely low dust. Also looking at Carbotech pads but already have info on those but need info on specific HAWK pads. 2011 GS will not be tracked. THANKS
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Crap, guess I need to add this to my order too for the GF's GS. That thing dust more than mine and it just gets cruised around occasionally. Can you PM me the price for these as well? Thanks.
Ceramic pads were the first mod I made 70,000 miles ago...store brand ceramics from Advanced. Same pads still going strong 7 years later. Great mod, you'll be happy.

BTW they were fine in my mile runs, 3 stops from 180+ and 494 from 130 or so on the drag strip. They are NOT fine on the road course I found out on my C5...I didn't listen to folks and tried them, broke them apart in one day. Don't do that.

Pedal pressure is greater with them but stopping is fine, you can still activate the anti lock brakes, just have to press harder. And after a couple of days you don't notice the harder pedal pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport Brake Dust

Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Bedouin
So who makes a low-dust GS/Z06 pad that's good for folks doing a couple track days/year? So far it sounds like the CT XP10/8's will work, but I'm researching less pricey alternatives..

My theory on the stock Ferodo GS/Z06 padlets, & possibly why they make so much dust, is the extra pad material(s) were needed to keep these quiet on the street while still being aggressive enough for track work...not sure about this logic however.
I tried "combo pads" and what I found is they are noisy and dusty on the street to the point of being unusable, and lousy on the track, compared to actual track pads. I threw away the "combo" pads, they were horrible.

It's such a dramatic difference that I consider swapping pads to be part of track prep, along with bleeding fluid. Ceramics on street, dedicated track pads on track. Same as tires, I swap tires for different venues as well. The proper shoes and brakes make the experience much more enjoyable.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 AM
C5-2003
Instructor

Thanks for the great info. Will probably go with the Hawk Performance Ceramics. The CTs are also great but they are a little more than I want to spend at this time. Thanks again guys/gals
Old 03-28-2013, 09:35 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Read this thread. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1583476225

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Brake Dust