C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa Xtreme w/ Black Diamond tips on my A6 pics and my opinion on sound/drone

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:23 PM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Corsa Xtreme w/ Black Diamond tips on my A6 pics and my opinion on sound/drone

I spent tons of time researching and getting opinions about drone but took the leap and went for the Xtreme's on my A6. Also have a couple other threads about this but seemed more appropriate to go with a new thread.

Only had them on for a week or so but I think they are very tame. Nothing Xtreme in my opinion at all. As a an example, when I got them installed I was a bit distracted getting the car off the lift but I did not even notice never less have that moment of "wow, that is much louder" when I started it up for the first time ... the mechanic had to tell me to rev it to see what it sounded like to make me remember I just had a new exhaust installed and even during this knew it was there and sounded good but still nothing Xtreme to me. First, got it on the highway and it sounded much better but nothing close to loud for me even holding various speeds from 55 to 75 to see if I could get the drone but nothing. Even when really getting on it you know it is there for sure but nothing too over the top either. The only time I really see a decent wow factor is when downshifting in paddle shift mode but even this is primarily only when going down to 2nd or 1st coming to a stop as the engine revs a bit when doing this so they do wake up pretty good. These opinions are also without the radio on or any other distractions ... just me "listening to the exhaust". They are a little step up from the Sport exhaust I had on my C5 but not a big step at all. No drone to me. Very little to almost no popping or gurgling that Corsas are known for on down shifts either for me even in paddle mode going down to low gears (my C5 Sport had a decent amount of this which I actually liked). I do also drive a Dodge Cummins diesel with exhaust and tons of drone when pulling a 5th wheel trailer so maybe I am more use to it but even my wife does not see any annoyance factor or feel that it is Xtreme. It is nearly silent during normal driving in standard drive mode and again can only wake it up when using the paddles downshifting to low gears or holding a low gear to high revs or really getting on the throttle. I actually lean more towards some of the input that I got from one out there that said it is actually too quiet on the A6. I think you need the manual tranny or the paddles to wake it up with higher revs and holding lower gears MUCH longer than the A6 does.

When I spoke with Corsa they said they actually don't have any problems recommending this exhaust for an A6. Said might be some slight drone due to the revs the automatic MIGHT produce/hold at cruising speed but not that would bother most or anything compared to most other exhausts. They said if have had other aftermarket exhausts and liked the sound in general this should still be fairly tame for most. Everyone's ears are different so it is very hard for them to not say that some might hear some drone regardless of stock, touring, sport, or Xtreme.

In summary, this exhaust is a little quiet for me in the A6 but I still like it ... so glad I did not settle for the Sport and be left wondering what the Xtreme might be.

Again, I have only had it for a week so maybe its just the newness of it but I really doubt I will ever be annoyed by it or even close to having much if any drone at cruising speeds. I will report back if the newness wears off and have a change of heart but really doubt it.

I could not find too many pictures or opinions on the black diamond tips either. I honestly went with them just to be a little different. I do like them but not so sure for most worth the extra money or time to order these. I also actually like that the rest of the muffler is not black as seems to give some reflections off the "black chrome" tips and this makes them just different enough to not be buried in the surrounding black plastic. The Corsa label on the tips is also a nice touch on these and yet subtle in this finish. To me it just has a more exotic look whatever that means. It is really hard to get good pics of these but here it goes ...

Last edited by AZvetteman; 05-12-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Victor'sVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the extreme...and a big cam, long tube headers, high flow cats and a supercharger...the car is nice around town, but when you get on it.....it's ear blasting loud.

I got the car tuned after the supercharger by Tom Wong in Vancouver and he stopped after about 4K on the rev, then got us both ear plugs...the exhaust is extreme with the right flow
Old 05-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Victor'sVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the extreme...and a big cam, long tube headers, high flow cats and a supercharger...the car is nice around town, but when you get on it.....it's ear blasting loud.

I got the car tuned after the supercharger by Tom Wong in Vancouver and he stopped after about 4K on the rev, then got us both ear plugs...the exhaust is extreme with the right flow
Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 AM
Exesivefire
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silly question, is it an illusion or do the outside tips stick farther out than the inside two?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 AM
njfl
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Exesivefire
Silly question, is it an illusion or do the outside tips stick farther out than the inside two?
My Xtremes don't, but it sure appears that way in the second to last picture. Interesting.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM
AZvetteman
Instructor

HaHa, that is black chrome majic for yeah ... good observation ... but, they are as even as it gets in reality.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Nice new exhaust setup
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM
ny32182
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

I just got Corsa extremes and X pipe installed on my otherwise stock M6 yesterday, and I agree... I was expecting them to be louder. They have a nice tone for sure, and have some burble on decel, but at idle and cruise they are not much louder than stock (though I can definitely tell a difference with the radio off, etc). They do wake up above 3k rpm.

Overall I do like the sound a lot more than stock, but at the same time I'm very glad at this point I did not get the Sports, and it would not hurt my feelings if the Extremes had been a bit more aggressive.

If you want "loud", you will need headers, cam, and/or a different system.

Also, I think they look awesome and I'm glad I got the 4" tips.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I think Corsas have a nice sound, but if you want loud, Bullets, ATAK or Loudmouths are the best, in that order. I get the same burble on drop throttle on my '13 A-6 that I did with my '06 M-6 from the Bullets. The idle is fantastic, and when you downshift to 4th on the highway from 6th--and it doesn't take much throttle to do this, they are unbelievable. Some say they drone, but not to me. Haven't had it wide open yet, less than 400 miles. Can't wait to hear them. Exhausts supposedly get louder with break in miles, so you may see some improvement yet.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
Exhausts supposedly get louder with break in miles, so you may see some improvement yet.
Oh yeah, this was another interesting point for me on my C5 Corsa Sports, but they actually seemed to get quieter with age. Again, maybe just me getting more use to them over time even though not loud at all but it was to the point I would park in front of friends driveway with their garage door open and them working in the garage and they would not even know I was there ... not cool for a Corvette with any exhaust to be stealth LOL.

Also, I did get a lot more popping and gurgling just after cleaning my intake air filter with the C5 SPorts. Not really that dirty but just seemed very sensitive to this to ge this sound. Kinda weird but maybe the stock air filter also not allowing me to get this on my C6 Extremes currently.

Anyways, hoping to hear from more A6 owners with Xtremes and point of thread was for those with A6's considering this exhaust as there is limited info/input out there specifically for A6's and the whole "not acoustically approved" statement and interpretation (right or wrong) of this statment to be due to potential drone with an A6.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteflier
I think Corsas have a nice sound, but if you want loud, Bullets, ATAK or Loudmouths are the best, in that order. I get the same burble on drop throttle on my '13 A-6 that I did with my '06 M-6 from the Bullets. The idle is fantastic, and when you downshift to 4th on the highway from 6th--and it doesn't take much throttle to do this, they are unbelievable. Some say they drone, but not to me. Haven't had it wide open yet, less than 400 miles. Can't wait to hear them. Exhausts supposedly get louder with break in miles, so you may see some improvement yet.
I've got a buddy that has bullets on a bone stock car and with my setup my Xtreme system is as loud or louder!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:43 PM
JDM555
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. I wonder if they get way louder as soon as you add headers. I like the sound of them, but thought I'd go with Borla Stingers as these would be too "extreme" with headers. Maybe I should consider these? I hear Stingers with Headers drone like hell, and Corsas don't drone, so that's a plus.

Any chance of videos, even though there are 1000's online, lol?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:44 AM
njfl
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
I've got a buddy that has bullets on a bone stock car and with my setup my Xtreme system is as loud or louder!
Interesting, I have a buddy with an LS3 with similar setup to mine ( LS2), but he has B&B Bullets vs. my Xtremes and he is significantly louder at idle. I actually like my setup better because there is limited drone at cruise compared to his. When I open up the throttle the Xtremes sound incredible. His sound great under load too, but the noise at low throttle is a little much for my taste.

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa Xtreme w/ Black Diamond tips on my A6 pics and my opinion on sound/drone

Quick Reply: Corsa Xtreme w/ Black Diamond tips on my A6 pics and my opinion on sound/drone