C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 06:20 PM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Shifting Issue

Hello All:

I am having some issues with my 2006 M6 Corvette Coupe. It has the Z51 package if that makes a difference. 23,500 miles on the clock. I purchased the car about 3 months ago and have put 1500 miles on in that time. I daily drive this car about 10 miles per day. The past week I have been noticing some issues when shifting.

The most noticeable thing is that when I attempt to downshift, I am getting very noticeable resistance when I try to shift into the lower gear. My usual downshift method is to do a throttle blip with the clutch held in, and then let the clutch out once I get it in gear. Since this problem started, I have tried double clutching and seen some definite improvement in getting it to go in gear.

The second issue, that has only happened to me twice, is that I will go to shift to the next higher gear, and the shifter will be "stuck" in gear, even with the clutch held all the way to the floor. After a couple seconds of coasting, I am able to pull it out without using much muscle.

The final thing I have noticed, which may or may not be in my head, is that when shifting in general, I feel like there is just a bit more resistance and a bit more of a "metal-on-metal" feel in the shifts, both up and down.

My suspicion is that the clutch is not fully disengaging when I push the clutch in. Does this sound correct? I have been reading about the "ranger method" of clutch fluid flushing and im wondering if this would alleviate my problem. If not, does anyone have any other ideas? Or should I just take it in to the dealer. I do have an extended warranty on the car.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:52 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

For sure do the ranger method. I do it several times a year and it does make a difference.
Next time you down shift try blipping the throttle with the clutch pedal out in neutral.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:14 PM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

Defiantly start by changing the clutch fluid. That usually helps in most cases. If your issue still occurs and you have a warranty to cover it then take it in to be fixed.

If your warranty does not cover it then feel free to give us a call if we are close to you. We change clutches in c5's and c6's on a weekly basis and can get you taken care of.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:26 PM
njvetteguy1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, a bump and a follow up question. My mom works for the local chevy dealer, so I asked her to pick up a pint of brake/clutch fluid while at work today. I wrote down the part number that is given in the owners manual (88958860) and wrote that it is for a 2006 Corvette on the note. She gave the note to the parts guy, and he sent her home with a pint of DOT3 brake/clutch fluid, part 19299818. My manual specifically says to use "Super DOT-4" brake fluid.

I am assuming there is a difference between DOT3 and DOT4 brake fluid, and that there is a reason the manual calls for the DOT4. Should I use this or should I take it back and hold out for the DOT4 stuff. Is it possible they don't keep it on hand or that the tech made a mistake? Or are they used interchangeably?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2013, 01:35 AM
ROUTE 66
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Dot 3 or Dot 4....

Originally Posted by njvetteguy1
OK, a bump and a follow up question. My mom works for the local chevy dealer, so I asked her to pick up a pint of brake/clutch fluid while at work today. I wrote down the part number that is given in the owners manual (88958860) and wrote that it is for a 2006 Corvette on the note. She gave the note to the parts guy, and he sent her home with a pint of DOT3 brake/clutch fluid, part 19299818. My manual specifically says to use "Super DOT-4" brake fluid.

I am assuming there is a difference between DOT3 and DOT4 brake fluid, and that there is a reason the manual calls for the DOT4. Should I use this or should I take it back and hold out for the DOT4 stuff. Is it possible they don't keep it on hand or that the tech made a mistake? Or are they used interchangeably?

Thanks

For the clutch in a C6 use Dot 4 only. Do not mix or put dot 3 in....Good Luck.........
You can get brake fluid for a lot less at a parts store ......

Last edited by ROUTE 66; 05-29-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:38 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

THe only difference is DOT4 has a higher boiling point, which prevents the fluid from boiling and introducing air in the system. It's pretty cheap, so I'd get DOT4 just to be on the safe side, but you can mix them without any issues in an 'emergency'. Even Walmart carries it (Prestone).
Old 05-29-2013, 06:50 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

DOT 4 for sure.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by njvetteguy1
She gave the note to the parts guy, and he sent her home with a pint of DOT3 brake/clutch fluid
Many Chevy dealers don't stock their "Super DOT 4". They can order it, of course, or just get a good quality DOT 4 elsewhere.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

You can find it at Walmart for minimum cost. If the Ranger method flushing doesn't help, the bushings in your shifter box may be shot, which is fairly common with a car of your age. They deteriorate from heat with age causing shifting problems. A new shifter box may be needed. If you are handy, it can be a DIY project with a new box going for about $150 from GM parts suppliers on the forum.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 PM
njfl
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have the extended warranty AND your mom works at the dealer, it's a no brainier. Don't touch it, take it in and see what they say.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch/Shifting Issue

Quick Reply: Clutch/Shifting Issue