C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Noise (vid included)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Spoolin8
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bad Noise (vid included)

2006 C6 85k
Installed headers and new spark plug wires this past weekend and have been trying to track down an exhaust leak when I heard something tragic. The car is going to 21st Century Motor Cars for a tune and to replace a leaking axle this weekend but it looks like ill be dropping it off early

The sound is not overly consistent and you cant really hear it until I move the camera away from the fan to the intake manifold. Sounds like it is on the passenger side. Could this be a bad roller/cam Looks like I may be getting some mods I wasnt planning for :/

http://s111.photobucket.com/user/xXC...15131.mp4.html

I sold my normal DD about 3 months after buying the vette because I loved driving it so much I decided to make it my all the time car despite it being the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned I love it. Im pretty mechanically inclined and did the header install myself very easily. Im debating between paying to have it fixed or simply purchasing a new car and rebuilding this one myself.

Opinions welcomed
Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

slip the belt off and see if it is still making the noise, only run it for a minute, waterpump wont be turning so has the potential to overheat after a couple minutes.

sounds like a tensioner pulley bearing to me.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Spoolin8
Racer

I hope you are right as that should be soooo much cheaper
Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 PM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carlrx7
slip the belt off and see if it is still making the noise, only run it for a minute, waterpump wont be turning so has the potential to overheat after a couple minutes.

sounds like a tensioner pulley bearing to me.
That's a great idea, I have a similar sound that comes on at around 2k rpm's and can't figure it out. Maybe I'll try your advice.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Spoolin8
Racer

The car has normal oil pressure, idles fine, drives seemingly fine (hard to tell with the exhaust leak). Its dark out there now so Ill just carefully drive it down the road to 21st tomorrow and have them take a listen.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 PM
JDM555
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Spoolin, that actually sounds similar to mine. It has a vibration/metal scraping type of sound on the passenger side right?

Here's my video. Is that the same sound as yours?

http://s30.photobucket.com/user/LilJ...42928.mp4.html

Mine wasn't making that noise before I got my harmonic balancer/belts replaced. But I'm worried cause it sounds off.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Spoolin8
Racer

Yep, that sounds just like it. Yours may be a tiny bit more frequent but I would say we have the same issue. I got my harmonic balancer/belts replaced about a year and a half ago. Keeping my fingers crossed its just some pulley bearings. Ill know tomorrow morning.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 PM
JDM555
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep me updated cause no one else can really help with my sound. I hope it's just a belt or something going bad. Don't feel like paying more money on my car besides mods.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Spoolin8
Racer

I just dropped the car off and they took a quick look/listen and said it was not a lifter roller or something too terrible. Once they start working on it they will give me a call letting me know what is causing it. Fingers crossed its something inexpensive and I cannot wait to get my tuned car back on Sunday!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:35 AM
Legal Alien
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, hope you get sorted. My first thought was pulley bearing/belt tensioner.

Just want to add, a cheap stethoscope is worth it's weight in gold for issues like this! Just be careful where you poke it but if it is a pulley you'll isolate it easily!

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad Noise (vid included)

Quick Reply: Bad Noise (vid included)