C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GS vs. Z06 performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 AM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

Originally Posted by 1MEANGS
Dont take the trade in price hit on getting rid of yours... Take some money & do add ons to your GS... Honestly your not gana get a good opinion on the forum because all the Z06 guys are gana side with the Z's and the GS guys are gana side with the GS's honestly its up to you what u wana do..
I have a 2011 GS convertible, Added Vararam CAI with V power wedge, a 232/234 .595/.598 cam, pfadt 1 3/4 headers, 160 degree thermostat with a professional tune by Joey of Excessive Autosports and TA DA!!! a convertible GS Z06 with 525HP.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The Z06 will be faster for the first 20k miles. After that, the GS may be faster.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

Originally Posted by jedblanks
The Z06 will be faster for the first 20k miles. After that, the GS may be faster.
huh?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garye
huh?
Engine failure
Old 06-19-2013, 01:49 PM
kmikem
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen many posts from forum members with crazy modified GS and base Coupes with listed high milage. I would be interested in seeing some of their feed back here in regards the people bashing on the GS as not being able to handle modifications.

Last edited by kmikem; 06-19-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Callaway has had great success with their supercharged 606 HP engine using the TVS2300 blower and using the stock A6.

You already have most of the Z06's performance except for the acceleration with your GS.

If I were in your shoes I would go with the Edelbrock E-Force 554 HP(at the flywheel) supercharger. No new hood required. The Edelbrock also uses the 2300 Eaton rotors that the Maggie and the ZR1 uses. just different housings and innercooler. If you later decide you need more go, then install the Z06 fuel pump and the smaller pulley for 599 HP(at the flywheel).

You will have around 200 pounds more weight than the Z06, but you will have 50 to 95 more horsepower over the Z06 to compensate for the additional weight.

A friend of mine has a 2012 Callaway GS SC606 convertible A6 and she loves it.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-19-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:09 PM
All2Easy
Racer

Keep your LS3 and mod it as long as you are okay with losing your warranty. The LS3 is a solid power plant that can take a lot thrown at it.

The Z06 is an awesome package right out of the box, but not worth the hit you would be taking financially. That, and the worry some 427 owners deal with regarding the valve issue. Perhaps the C7 Z06 will have this issue covered.....
Old 06-19-2013, 05:37 PM
jarmist
Heel & Toe

Great stuff. Thanks again, all, for the great comments.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:44 PM
tcccac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by All2Easy
Keep your LS3 and mod it as long as you are okay with losing your warranty. The LS3 is a solid power plant that can take a lot thrown at it.

The Z06 is an awesome package right out of the box, but not worth the hit you would be taking financially. That, and the worry some 427 owners deal with regarding the valve issue. Perhaps the C7 Z06 will have this issue covered.....
why do you say mod it if you are ok with losing your warranty? that is totally untrue. granted if something breaks in the internals or drivetrain that they can prove was a cause of a mod fine. but the warranty covers so much more. the electronics are the main cause of expensive warranty claims and you will still be covered. I bought the extended warranty even knowing that I was going to mod.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:53 PM
All2Easy
Racer

Originally Posted by tcccac
why do you say mod it if you are ok with losing your warranty? that is totally untrue. granted if something breaks in the internals or drivetrain that they can prove was a cause of a mod fine. but the warranty covers so much more. the electronics are the main cause of expensive warranty claims and you will still be covered. I bought the extended warranty even knowing that I was going to mod.
In particular, I am refering to drivetrain components.

I have internal engine mods (namely a cam and valvetrain), and don't expect GM to warranty any of it. In fact, I would not be surprised that a warranty denial could come regarding other non drivetrain electrical components because I have altered the tune, and they try to present that as a reason for other systems failing.

In essense, I can hope for the best, but am prepared to pay for the worst case scenario. YMMV
Old 06-19-2013, 06:09 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 PM
tcccac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by All2Easy
In particular, I am refering to drivetrain components.

I have internal engine mods (namely a cam and valvetrain), and don't expect GM to warranty any of it. In fact, I would not be surprised that a warranty denial could come regarding other non drivetrain electrical components because I have altered the tune, and they try to present that as a reason for other systems failing.

In essense, I can hope for the best, but am prepared to pay for the worst case scenario. YMMV
got it. depending on the issue the car will be towed to my house vs. the stealership and mods and tune reversed. multiple dealerships if necessary as well. But we are big boys and girls so we know you gotta pay to play. but again that is off topic of this thread.

btw, can someone explain how the GS gets faster over time than the Z. I would love to bottle and sell that stuff.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 PM
All2Easy
Racer

Originally Posted by tcccac
got it. depending on the issue the car will be towed to my house vs. the stealership and mods and tune reversed. multiple dealerships if necessary as well. But we are big boys and girls so we know you gotta pay to play. but again that is off topic of this thread.

btw, can someone explain how the GS gets faster over time than the Z. I would love to bottle and sell that stuff.
I think the implication is that the 427 will eventually drop a valve and pop, while the LS3 will hammer on.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

On a short track the GS coupe will probably be as good if not better than a Z06 or ZR1. This is the opinion of a professional instructor I have met who is the Chief Instructor at one of the southeastern motorsports tracks. From my experience driving my Z and riding as an instructor in GSs once you get into the upper rpm ranges the Z06 just leaves the GS in the dust. I am not talking about drag racing on a 1/4 mile track. I am talking about sections of track that are a 1/2 mile in length that you can exit a turn at about 70 mph and then just plant your foot on the floor until the next braking zone. About 1/2 way through that the GS starts to fall behind with a stop speed 10 to 12 mph slower than the Z by the time the braking zone is reached.

Of course the OP can't do any of that in his Vert GS since they don't allow them unless they have a roll bar. Another reason to buy a GS coupe or just get the Z06.

Bill
Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by kmikem
I have seen many posts from forum members with crazy modified GS and base Coupes with listed high milage. I would be interested in seeing some of their feed back here in regards the people bashing on the GS as not being able to handle modifications.
I'm not crazy modded, but with only bolt-ons, I run low 11's and high 10's. It's an '08 with 109K miles and over 400 1/4 mile passes. I killed the first motor 3 years ago, due to some odd conditions and a bad tune from a traveling tuner. However, the second one has had absolutely no issues, nor has the rest of the original drivetrain.

Other than the extra weight, I see no reason why a bolt-on GS can't match the 1/4 mile times of a stock Z06. With the addition of a cam, even the weight becomes a non-issue. Durability at a 450-480 rwhp level is not a problem either.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 AM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
On a short track the GS coupe will probably be as good if not better than a Z06 or ZR1. This is the opinion of a professional instructor I have met who is the Chief Instructor at one of the southeastern motorsports tracks. From my experience driving my Z and riding as an instructor in GSs once you get into the upper rpm ranges the Z06 just leaves the GS in the dust. I am not talking about drag racing on a 1/4 mile track. I am talking about sections of track that are a 1/2 mile in length that you can exit a turn at about 70 mph and then just plant your foot on the floor until the next braking zone. About 1/2 way through that the GS starts to fall behind with a stop speed 10 to 12 mph slower than the Z by the time the braking zone is reached.
I got to drive the GS, Z06, and ZR1 back to back at Spring Mountain. On the back straight, about a second before getting on the brakes, I was at 118-119 in the GS, 124-125 in the Z06, and 129-130 in the ZR1. And I agree with Bill - the primary difference is in the top 2000 RPMs.

I initially found the GS to be the easier to drive. The response to driver inputs is a bit more deliberate and that was helpful when learning the track and initially driving near the limit. As the class progressed, I ended up preferring the Z06. It just felt more precise and responded to inputs immediately. It gave great feedback on what to do and not to do on a track. Got to say, though, that the ZR1 with PTM is a much better suspension than a regular Z06.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Without a question you will be money ahead modding your car to your liking.

Just for fun call Carmax and see what they will give you for your car. Don't be insulted, it's what you will get unless you find a local seller to buy your car from you.

Now that you have that number in mind, consider what mods you want to for your intended usage.

Here is my thread with all my mods overlaid on my 74,000 mile daily driver 05 Vette. with 494 hard drag strip runs on it.

The beauty of the path I chose is that the mods were done over time so each time I did some mods it was like a new car.

Here's my thread, you might find some nuggets of wisdom:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ast-heads.html

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Decided yesterday to overlay all my mods since I've self tuned and dyno'ed each time I did major mods.

I found it interesting and thought I'd share.

See below. Each line represents progressive mods:
1. stock;
2. headers & tune (3.90 gears at same time);
3. G5x3 cam & .040 gaskets (11.4 compression);
4. FAST, and
5. used AFR 205 heads.

What strikes me is how dramatic the gains from headers and a tune were. Combined with the gears, it felt like a different car, and I got a full second + 10 mph in the 1/4 from those mods, from 12.9@108 to 11.8@118. The car was dead nuts reliable at this level.

The second take away is how all the remaining mods really only mattered from 4500 on. Thus I very seldom notice them on the street, only on the track. Not counting the cool sound of the cam.

Mods 3-5 did take off another second and added 10 mph - to 10.8@128. But it cost a lot more and I broke a diff and two transmissions on my way.

This graph shows what I've been saying for while; headers, tune and gears give you by far the best bang for the buck from idle to redline, the remaining mods only matter from 4500 on. Most street driving is below 3000 rpm...you do feel gears and headers even at that level.

Hope someone finds this useful as they decide upon mods.

I need to add...without question...the best mod for return on $$ is...

SEAT TIME.

And personally, I find that mod the most rewarding.

Another item Tommy kindly reminded me of, is weight reduction.

If you are drag racing, you can expect .1 to .15 from putting skinny tires up front (saving 50 lbs+ of rotating weight) and taking out your passenger seat (53 lbs).

Get notified of new replies

To GS vs. Z06 performance

Old 06-20-2013, 10:30 AM
jarmist
Heel & Toe

Thanks for sharing this information, and to the others who have sent some great comments. Definitely giving me some great ideas to consider!

Without a question you will be money ahead modding your car to your liking.

Just for fun call Carmax and see what they will give you for your car. Don't be insulted, it's what you will get unless you find a local seller to buy your car from you.

Now that you have that number in mind, consider what mods you want to for your intended usage.

Here is my thread with all my mods overlaid on my 74,000 mile daily driver 05 Vette. with 494 hard drag strip runs on it.

The beauty of the path I chose is that the mods were done over time so each time I did some mods it was like a new car.

Here's my thread, you might find some nuggets of wisdom:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ast-heads.html
Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jarmist
Thanks for sharing this information, and to the others who have sent some great comments. Definitely giving me some great ideas to consider!
Sharing info makes this forum great!

Check out the discussion on gears in my thread, with dyno sheets to prove my points.

If you have a manual car I'd say CAI, & 4.10 gears if you are wanting to keep the warranty and you will be good to go. The car will feel like it lost 500 lbs.

If you have a manual car and want it to feel like a rocket ship, 3800 stall and a trans cooler and tune and call it a day. That's a recipe for a low 11 second machine and today the converters are a lot better than they used to be.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:50 AM
jarmist
Heel & Toe

Thank you, Joe. I do have a manual - no offense to anyone with an auto, but can't beat the feel of driving w/ a manual.

OK, I have to plead ignorant here... I've read yours, as well as other numerous replies, regarding a "tune." Maybe people have different takes or interpretations, but what do you consider a "tune?"

Sharing info makes this forum great!

Check out the discussion on gears in my thread, with dyno sheets to prove my points.

If you have a manual car I'd say CAI, & 4.10 gears if you are wanting to keep the warranty and you will be good to go. The car will feel like it lost 500 lbs.

If you have a manual car and want it to feel like a rocket ship, 3800 stall and a trans cooler and tune and call it a day. That's a recipe for a low 11 second machine and today the converters are a lot better than they used to be.

Quick Reply: GS vs. Z06 performance