C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning "dings" when I open the door on my C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 PM
nbergma
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning "dings" when I open the door on my C6

This just started happening this past weekend. The car wasn't doing this prior to that. Here are the details.

When I turn off the car and open the door, the car starts doing "ding ding ding ding" audible alerts about once per second until I shut the door. I had other cars (not Corvettes) do that if you open the door with the ignition switched off and the headlights are turned on to warn you so you will turn off the headlights before the battery goes dead. That was my first thought when I heard it in my C6 but my headlamp switch was in the Auto position like I almost always have it and the headlamps were not on.

Does anyone have any idea why it started doing this all of a sudden? It may be coincidence, but maybe not so I'll mention it. Just a few minutes before it started doing this, my wife was adjusting the sun visor on the passenger side when the post on the right side of the visor fell right out of the housing and was kind of dangling there in my wife's hands with all the wires hanging down that power the vanity mirror etc. She was able to push the post back up into the housing and pushed the flat plate back up flush with the bottom of the housing. (I'm not sure the visor is really "fixed." Seems like a poor, cheap-o design to me). Shortly after that when we stopped and I opened my door, the dinging started.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Jetblackc6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

does it read shift to park on the dash also? if so one of the micro switches on the shifter is sticking or gone bad.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:45 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I'm thinking that it's one of 2 things or both:

1) When you shut the car off and open the door, your key fob is still in your right pocket and close to the interior, so it's trying to let you know to remove the fob from inside the car.
or:
2) Your spare fob is in the car
Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 PM
nbergma
Cruising

The DIC has no message asking me to shift to park.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM
nbergma
Cruising

I have already experienced the 3-ding tone when the second fob is still in the car in my wife's purse after I have exited the car. That tone doesn't sound immediately when I open the door; rather it sounds after I exit the car and close my door while the spare fob is still inside. And it's only 3 horn beeps, not the continuous "ding ding ding" that I'm getting now.

If the first part of your suggestion is correct, "When you shut the car off and open the door, your key fob is still in your right pocket and close to the interior, so it's trying to let you know to remove the fob from inside the car," why hasn't it ever done that in the past? I always have my fob in my pants pocket and up until this past weekend it never caused anything to "ding" when I opened the door of the car after shutting off the engine.

I'm still perplexed.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 PM
RearDriveV8
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2009 did this to me a few days ago. While shutting off the engine it appears I double tapped the off side of the start/stop button and put the car in accessory mode. The yellow LED light was illuminated on the start/stop button. Pushing stop a second time fixed the problem. I think accessory mode shows on the DIC so this is probably not your situation.

My suggestion is commit the sins that normally cause this. Turn on your lights and see if you get the audible dings with the door open. Put the car in accessory mode and open the door. Then make sure you have remedied those errors/sins and see if the tones extinguish. Can't think what else generates a tone...Dome light? maybe.

Also try using your other fob for a day then go back to your regular fob.

The tones got my attention so I know how this must be driving you nuts. Let us know what you find.

Tom

PS -- went and played with my car and the lights on produced a fast chime as did the accessory on. The only slow chime (once a second) was ignition on (engine not running). Dome light and/or passenger visor illuminated did nothing.

Last edited by RearDriveV8; 08-19-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: more information
Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,820 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Here are the times when the chime is sounded:

1)
Lockout Protection
Your vehicle can be programmed to sound the
horn three times and unlock the driver’s door when
both doors are closed and there is a keyless
access transmitter inside the vehicle. When the
driver’s door is opened, a reminder chime will
sound continuously. The vehicle will remain locked
only when at least one transmitter has been
removed from the vehicle and both doors are
closed.

2)
Headlamps on Reminder
A warning chime will sound if the exterior lamp
control is left on in either the headlamp or parking
lamp position and the driver’s door is opened
with the ignition off.

3)
When the ignition is turned on, a chime will come
on for several seconds to remind people to
fasten their safety belts, unless the driver’s safety
belt is already buckled.
The safety belt light will
also come on and stay
on for several
seconds, then it will
flash for several more.
This chime and light will be repeated if the driver
remains unbuckled and the vehicle is in motion.
If the driver’s belt is already buckled, neither
the chime nor the light will come on.

Those are the only instances I found in the User's Manual that indicated more than one ring of the chime in our cars.

Elmer
Old 08-20-2013, 01:25 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Welcome to the crappy GM quality . Unfortunately, perfectly 'normal' man. My '12 GS does it randomly since day 1. And yes, that's with fob notification turned off. Crappy programming of the keyless ignition is the culprit. Some people say you need to get away from the car with the key asap the moment you turn the engine off. My car still does that every once in a while even when I walk away, so maybe I need to run away instead No idea what the hell goes on man. Finally, you can quiet the stupid bong if you close and open the door again once, and sometimes twice, so you know (if you want to clean the interior, or something like that). It's a little embarraassing that your new car does that crap with a female companion, but there's nothing we can do about it. If you find a 100% solution for that, let us know so we know what to do when we want to avoid that. Good luck.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-20-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:30 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I've noticed three chimes when I open the door to my '13 once in a while. Have no reason why they would sound--lights not left on, fob in my pocket. Only happens once in a while, as I said, so some preexisting condition must be causing it, but have no idea what. I disabled the 3 horn beeps when you leave the fob in the car with the ignition off.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:37 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/852600/blondestar/

Somebody had to post this and this time it's me.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM
sb-stroker
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default warning dings

Check and see if your map lights on the rearview mirror ar on, this happened to me and drove me crazy untill I saw they were on, then had to try to figure out how to turn them off. Interior light switch on the left side of dash. That'll teach me to play with the buttons!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 PM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Welcome to the crappy GM quality . Unfortunately, perfectly 'normal' man. My '12 GS does it randomly since day 1. And yes, that's with fob notification turned off. Crappy programming of the keyless ignition is the culprit. Some people say you need to get away from the car with the key asap the moment you turn the engine off. My car still does that every once in a while even when I walk away, so maybe I need to run away instead No idea what the hell goes on man. Finally, you can quiet the stupid bong if you close and open the door again once, and sometimes twice, so you know (if you want to clean the interior, or something like that). It's a little embarraassing that your new car does that crap with a female companion, but there's nothing we can do about it. If you find a 100% solution for that, let us know so we know what to do when we want to avoid that. Good luck.
Don't think that you are being realistic when you say 'crappy GM quality'.I believe GM produces high quality cars and trucks.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:05 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Left in accessory mode.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 PM
nbergma
Cruising

Thanks to all who replied. RearDriveV8, you were right on. Apparently I had put the car into Accessories mode unintentionally the several times this happened. Since reading your post I've been careful to note what I do when I turn it off and make sure the DIC does not show Accessories mode. I haven't had a single instance of this happening again since being careful to just turn it off. One time as a test I tapped the Accessories side of the ignition button and opened my driver door and, sure enough, "ding, ding, ding..."

Sigh.

Mystery solved.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mracer14
I believe GM produces high quality cars and trucks.
You can believe what you want man. I'm just stating the sad reality. Compare almost any Chevy with a Hyundai, and the difference in quality is obvious, even with the crappiest Hyundai. Just look behind the seat of a Corvette. Look down and see the holes on the base of the seat. Look up where the license plate is, and see at the ugly holes with the lights and hatch button. Taillights bolted on the exterior; who does that? Look under the engine and you'll see no bellypan at all (yes, the cheapo Hyundais have it). Look at the rental-quality plastics and panels on the interior, plus the lousy fit. Look at the switches and controls (embarrassing). Almost everything looks cheap on GM cars. Read the brand new Malibu and the new Vette are much better. Hope so for GM's sake, but I'm done with GM. This '12 GS was my last GM vehicle ever for me. Yes, the Vette is probably the best performance bang for the buck, but there's a lot more than just that, especially if you can afford something nicer. I regretted buying mine due to all the issues I'm having; didn't expect that after 8 freaking years of production. If I'm going to have issues, MUCH rather buy something I enjoy more driving . Bought the Vette for its supposed reliability, and after the THIRD try, didn't get it either. It wasn't the engine, like the first 2, but almost everything else. Time to move on.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-05-2013 at 02:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
koreanbeefcake (09-26-2018)
Old 09-06-2013, 10:49 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The appearance, reliability and performance of the corvette c6 has met and exceeded my personal expectations over the last 65k miles...

We all have different expectations and situations so please don't see my post as an affront to the gentlemen not satisfied...

I guess that's the reason the c7 has continued to evolve and improve.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:57 PM
iznthesky
6th Gear

Hyundai cars may be a bargan...but bottom line is they are cheap disposable cars. They are good for what they are designed for, but they are in NO way any comparison to the Corvette. If you want perfection and attention to detail, its going to cost you much much more than a corvette. But for the price of a Corvette (any model) its hard to find another car that packs as much performance and technology into it within the same price point...PERIOD. For between 40 - 75 grand, its an abundance of performance and I love it.

Get notified of new replies

To Warning "dings" when I open the door on my C6

Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 PM
pcolarossi
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iznthesky
Hyundai cars may be a bargan...but bottom line is they are cheap disposable cars. They are good for what they are designed for, but they are in NO way any comparison to the Corvette. If you want perfection and attention to detail, its going to cost you much much more than a corvette. But for the price of a Corvette (any model) its hard to find another car that packs as much performance and technology into it within the same price point...PERIOD. For between 40 - 75 grand, its an abundance of performance and I love it.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:23 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go in and reset your features in the car so it does not do that
Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by iznthesky
They are just average vehicles with an average a little below Chevy's. In the 2013 JD Power dependability study of 3 year old cars Chevy has 125 failures per 100 cars and Hyundai has 141 failures per 100 cars. Toyota has 112 failures per 100 cars. Basically one problem per car when the cars are 3 years old. When you look at overall market quality is about the same across all major brands and when you look back over time that has been true for at least a decade.

Bill

Quick Reply: Warning "dings" when I open the door on my C6