C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons of the APS Twin Turbo System vs Other Brands of Turbos vs Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of the APS Twin Turbo System vs Other Brands of Turbos vs Superchargers

What are the Pros and Cons of the APS Twin Turbo System vs the other vast array of other power adders for a completely stock LS2 or LS3?

How does the APS Twin Turbo Kit compare to the other brands of single turbo systems, and twin turbo systems, and the other various brands of Superchargers??

(not comparing the APS or other power adders to cams and headers or nitrous)
Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Superchargers are RPM referenced for boost. You always have the same boost level for a given RPM. Turbos are able to make full boost at any rpm which is harder to tune and harder on the bottom end.

Turbos dont have belt issues. Superchargers require much more belt tension eventually cause issues with accessories.

Turbos produce a ton of heat.

Cost is a toss up as most who get a supercharger also buy headers. Turbo cars cant run headers.

Superchargers such as the Eforce are very limited on power although they fit well. If all you want is 550rwhp as those kits produce, just buy an ERL shortblock. Its about $1500 to install a $5700 434 cu inch shortblock and 550rwhp N/A is faster than 550 from boost because you lose boost pressure on shifts. This assumes you are using your stock heads /intake manifold. Later you can upgrade many parts and hit 630rwhp N/A. What good here is that you are resetting the clock to zero on your engine and you can sell the existing shortblock to help reduce costs. I've done stroker swaps entirely free to keep the existing shortblock.

Turbo kits being more exotic, dont have the support of the ECS and A&A supercharger kits. ECS and A&A are forum tuners here with a personal relationship with members. Corvettes are their primary business.

UPP's twin turbo kit has gained quite a bit of support and has been used on 9 sec cars at or over 800rwhp. Pipes have lifetime warranty and now come with turbo options.

Last edited by SpinMonster; 08-31-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:04 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

I had a 06/A6-Z51 Coupe that had the APS turbo system. It worked very well on my stock car, it ran 507hp and 512tq with 7 pounds boost. Never had in issues in the 3 years I had it on the car. I eventually put the car back stock, sold it and now have a Z06.

The complete system is sitting my shop if you are interested.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:03 AM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I've been running an APS tt set-up on the origonal LS2/A6 since 07.
Bone stock fuel pump with KB bap.
Also has cam and 3" APS exhaust (not cheap).
One word...AWESOME!
9 psi: 620whp/620tq last time on the dyno (about a year ago).
Tons of low-end torque (500+ ft lbs tq @2800rpm)
VERY VERY reliable set-up.
Zero heat issues with stock radiator/fan.
Tuned by Ernie @ Westech Performance (experienced tuner makes all the difference in the world).

Cons: The C6 kit has been discontinued from production in N America.

Last edited by DSOMC6; 09-01-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:00 PM
Jetblackc6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw
I had a 06/A6-Z51 Coupe that had the APS turbo system. It worked very well on my stock car, it ran 507hp and 512tq with 7 pounds boost. Never had in issues in the 3 years I had it on the car. I eventually put the car back stock, sold it and now have a Z06.

The complete system is sitting my shop if you are interested.
what are you looking to get out of it?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:10 PM
J Christensen
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Superchargers are RPM referenced for boost. You always have the same boost level for a given RPM. Turbos are able to make full boost at any rpm which is harder to tune and harder on the bottom end.

Turbos dont have belt issues. Superchargers require much more belt tension eventually cause issues with accessories.

Turbos produce a ton of heat.

Cost is a toss up as most who get a supercharger also buy headers. Turbo cars cant run headers.

Superchargers such as the Eforce are very limited on power although they fit well. If all you want is 550rwhp as those kits produce, just buy an ERL shortblock. Its about $1500 to install a $5700 434 cu inch shortblock and 550rwhp N/A is faster than 550 from boost because you lose boost pressure on shifts. This assumes you are using your stock heads /intake manifold. Later you can upgrade many parts and hit 630rwhp N/A. What good here is that you are resetting the clock to zero on your engine and you can sell the existing shortblock to help reduce costs. I've done stroker swaps entirely free to keep the existing shortblock.

Turbo kits being more exotic, dont have the support of the ECS and A&A supercharger kits. ECS and A&A are forum tuners here with a personal relationship with members. Corvettes are their primary business.

UPP's twin turbo kit has gained quite a bit of support and has been used on 9 sec cars at or over 800rwhp. Pipes have lifetime warranty and now come with turbo options.
Good info written to the point.

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:47 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Twins turbos is MUCH MORE efficiene than supercharger. and poeple who says E- is maxxed out at 550 whp dont know ****.many LS9 running more than 8xxWHP on boost with the TVS 2300!

Get notified of new replies

To Pros and Cons of the APS Twin Turbo System vs Other Brands of Turbos vs Superchargers

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of the APS Twin Turbo System vs Other Brands of Turbos vs Superchargers