C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supercharged 05' need drag radial suggestions

Old 02-27-2014, 09:07 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kruser0922
JPEE,
What are you using for rear wheels with the MT DR.... size 305/35x18" ?? Where did you buy the tires and wheels? Any links or pictures would be great! Thanks.
I'm using 2004 front wheels (thin 5 spoke) they almost match my OEM 5 spoke polished aluminum wheels...

My wheels are 9.5 x 18" and the MT work great with the old motor.. not sure of how they will do with the new 403 ci motor ?? I plan on a T&T Fri March 7th .. (weather permitting)

I'll post here on how I make out "IF" we can run on that date...
Old 02-27-2014, 10:08 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Is 275 wide enough to hook up really good for that power level ? It must as I have seen that size mentioned many times. Haven't looked at the Hoosiers yet. You are talking about their drag radial I presume? Would it be better yet to go wider with a say a 285 or 295 or 305? Guess I'm not sure if 295 or 305 even fits in stock C6 rear fenders. Trying to do this on sort of a budget since we don't go to the strip more than a couple times in the summer. Also sounds like from research that having some more sidewall helps launch too?
Sorry about all the questions. New territory for us. Thanks.
Guys run 6's on 275 wide radials. Yes. Bigger is not better
Old 02-27-2014, 11:40 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Is 275 wide enough to hook up really good for that power level ? It must as I have seen that size mentioned many times. Haven't looked at the Hoosiers yet. You are talking about their drag radial I presume? Would it be better yet to go wider with a say a 285 or 295 or 305? Guess I'm not sure if 295 or 305 even fits in stock C6 rear fenders. Trying to do this on sort of a budget since we don't go to the strip more than a couple times in the summer. Also sounds like from research that having some more sidewall helps launch too?
Sorry about all the questions. New territory for us. Thanks.
Not trying to be an ***, but I find it strange that you keep asking about other stuff when the answer in post #4 is about as good as it gets. The bigger problem that your dad will have, is lack of seat time to understand how to get a really good launch. Yes, it's good to start with good equipment, but that's no substitute for experience. Two or three trips to the track each year will still leave you well short of the capability of the car itself.

It reminds me of the guy who after a few years of owning a Z06, decided to run it at the local dragstrip. After making several passes in the 14 second range and finally getting one in the 13's, he said "Gosh, this isn't as easy as it looks.". The guys who run 11's with the same car are out there a lot more than 2-3 times a year.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:40 AM
kruser0922
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
I'm using 2004 front wheels (thin 5 spoke) they almost match my OEM 5 spoke polished aluminum wheels...

My wheels are 9.5 x 18" and the MT work great with the old motor.. not sure of how they will do with the new 403 ci motor ?? I plan on a T&T Fri March 7th .. (weather permitting)

I'll post here on how I make out "IF" we can run on that date...
Thanks for the info. Please do share if you run.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:48 AM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The guys who run 11's with the same car are out there a lot more than 2-3 times a year.
You all know how "OLD" I am and I can tell the difference on how well OR S#ITTY I run depending on how often I go to the track..

I think last yr was my worst ever, but I didn't have a car for many races and missed a lot of days I'd usually go to race..

Back about 7 years, I would drive down to NJ on a Fri. night to race Fri night Gamblers, then sleep at either Dennis's or Mackey's place and race Sat. in the CC or whatever class they (RP) had that I'd fit into..

I now have my new 403" Cartek motor, and would like to see what index class I would fit.. I know 11.5 is a given.

But I'd like a 10.0 index.. & I think I'm going to need more converter, tire, and gears...

But even at my "advanced" age I "think" I can run pretty competitively as long as I go to the track at least 2x or 3x a month...

Last edited by jpee; 02-28-2014 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:58 AM
kruser0922
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Not trying to be an ***, but I find it strange that you keep asking about other stuff when the answer in post #4 is about as good as it gets. The bigger problem that your dad will have, is lack of seat time to understand how to get a really good launch. Yes, it's good to start with good equipment, but that's no substitute for experience. Two or three trips to the track each year will still leave you well short of the capability of the car itself.

It reminds me of the guy who after a few years of owning a Z06, decided to run it at the local dragstrip. After making several passes in the 14 second range and finally getting one in the 13's, he said "Gosh, this isn't as easy as it looks.". The guys who run 11's with the same car are out there a lot more than 2-3 times a year.
I didn't mean to offend or bother anyone. I guess I though the purpose of these forums was for people to share knowledge and educate each other.

People learn by asking questions. If the 4th post was the end all be all answer then why are others using wider tires? That is why I asked more questions to educate myself and find new avenues to research.

Are newbies frowned upon at the drag strip or something?
Point taken on the 2-3 times a year comment. However, our main goal is to have fun with the car at the strip and to make improvements wherever we can. We do not intend to be at the strip every weekend and are not out to prove anything to anyone.

We are hoping that some good DR's will be the answer to traction that will allow us to improve skills.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:03 AM
kruser0922
Advanced

I think we have decided on C5Z front wheels and 275/40R17 MT ET streets.
Winter won't go away up here in Fargo. We have had a record number of days for below zero temps. Hopefully we can hit the strip this spring once the 6' deep frost comes out of the ground. I will let you know how we do.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:58 AM
DillingerRadio
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Winter won't go away up here in Fargo. We have had a record number of days for below zero temps. Hopefully we can hit the strip this spring once the 6' deep frost comes out of the ground. I will let you know how we do.
Newbies aren't frowned on at the strip no. The people runnin' the show can be a little brusque every now and then, but don't be offended by it. They're usually just trying to insure as smooth and quick a day as possible for everyone. Just make sure you take some time to head there and ask questions and what not about how to act, what's expected of you, etc. If you fail big time at a launch though and get laughed at a bit, just take it in stride hehe It's all in good fun.

Don't worry about HOXXOH, anybody who feels the need to precede a sentence with "Not to be an ***" knows they are, in fact, being an ***. You get it every now and then

2-3 times a year is fine, you'll still learn, albeit much more slowly heh. So long as you're not expecting to come out with pro times, and have fun, you're good to go!

Let us know your times. I'm surprised Fargo has a strip at all, I thought that place was always buried under snow/ice
Old 02-28-2014, 08:03 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

I didn't mean to offend or bother anyone. I guess I though the purpose of these forums was for people to share knowledge and educate each other.

People learn by asking questions. If the 4th post was the end all be all answer then why are others using wider tires? That is why I asked more questions to educate myself and find new avenues to research.

Are newbies frowned upon at the drag strip or something?
Point taken on the 2-3 times a year comment. However, our main goal is to have fun with the car at the strip and to make improvements wherever we can. We do not intend to be at the strip every weekend and are not out to prove anything to anyone.

We are hoping that some good DR's will be the answer to traction that will allow us to improve skills.
This forum is a great place to get answers. Unfortunately you will get both good and bad ones. Be very careful from whom you may receive advice. Sometimes it is far better researching the poster than trying to wade through the vast array of answers. I personally know the gentleman of post #4 and he has sage advice.
For a budget/performance combination, it is hard to beat the OEM C5Z front wheels. To give you insight on the tires, our crew has been running Hoosiers for approximately 6-7 years now. (This is not to say that the M/Ts are bad tires. I currently have a set of 305/35R19s on the C6Z as a good compromise street/strip tire to replace the OEM runflats.) The Hoosiers are lighter and extremely aggressive more so than the M/Ts. They will consistently outperform similarly sized DRs at the track. We have ran both auto and stick, N/A, sprayed and FI on 275/40R17s and 255/50R16s producing sixties in the 1.3s and 1.4s. The downside of the Hoosiers are the decreased amount of wear and the inability to drive the car in the rain should you elect to drive them to the track. With that said, the M/Ts are a good tire and will last should you choose them.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was running 305-35-18's for a while and finally took everyone's advice. I run 17" GTO spares with MT 275-40-17's on C5 wagon wheels now. I get great traction for my 60' and picked up a few tenths as well in the quarter. If you have an automatic, you will need your shift points adjusted in the computer.
Jeff

Last edited by Justasheet; 02-28-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:38 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I ran 305/35/18 MT's on a 9.5" repro C6Z06 wheel. Now I run the 295/45/17 on a 9.5" wide WS6 wheel (56mm offset). The traction is much better with the 17's.

'05 here too (although manual) and I cracked the diff at the track with the 17's. DTE brace is probably all that saved the output shaft of the transmission.

Don't need the 18's anymore if anyone is interested. Cheap.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stanger383
what he said ^ I just got a 1.281-60 with my 315 hoosiers last week
If I could get that 60' I wouldn't look back either. My diff might be on the ground Norm. Lol
Jeff

Last edited by Justasheet; 02-28-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:19 PM
kruser0922
Advanced

Originally Posted by DillingerRadio
Newbies aren't frowned on at the strip no. The people runnin' the show can be a little brusque every now and then, but don't be offended by it. They're usually just trying to insure as smooth and quick a day as possible for everyone. Just make sure you take some time to head there and ask questions and what not about how to act, what's expected of you, etc. If you fail big time at a launch though and get laughed at a bit, just take it in stride hehe It's all in good fun.

Don't worry about HOXXOH, anybody who feels the need to precede a sentence with "Not to be an ***" knows they are, in fact, being an ***. You get it every now and then

2-3 times a year is fine, you'll still learn, albeit much more slowly heh. So long as you're not expecting to come out with pro times, and have fun, you're good to go!

Let us know your times. I'm surprised Fargo has a strip at all, I thought that place was always buried under snow/ice
Yeah, believe it or not we have a strip. Its actually just a little to the east of Fargo just across the ND/MN border. Its not the best track I'm told but its all we have. We only go to the street legal events with fellow Corvette club members to have fun and obtain bragging rights

We have quite a range of temps in Fargo. Wintertime can get down to -32 F (actual temperature and as high as 100 F in the summer. Stinks because then the vettes have to sit so darn long in the garage til the snow and cold weather is gone.

I will let you know what times we get.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:33 PM
DillingerRadio
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Yeah, believe it or not we have a strip. Its actually just a little to the east of Fargo just across the ND/MN border. Its not the best track I'm told but its all we have. We only go to the street legal events with fellow Corvette club members to have fun and obtain bragging rights

We have quite a range of temps in Fargo. Wintertime can get down to -32 F (actual temperature and as high as 100 F in the summer. Stinks because then the vettes have to sit so darn long in the garage til the snow and cold weather is gone.

I will let you know what times we get.
Haha, good business man! I'm glad to hear it.. I still can't get "Fargo" out of my mind when I hear it "Glad to hear it Margie!". Hahaha..

Nevermind me though, good luck at the strip and hopefully you get the times you're looking for! I look forward to the results
Old 02-28-2014, 04:36 PM
kruser0922
Advanced

Now its between MT 275/40/R17 & 295/45/R17 for the tires.

Had these wheels in mind for the rear in a 17x9.5 +54mm size.
http://www.corvette-wheels.com/c6-z0...hined-lip.html

Any comments or approvals on the above?

Trying to stay away from the Hoosiers. Not concerned so much about the wear. More the safety. We will bolt on the MT's at home and drive them to the track, race, then back home and put the street tires back on.

Thanks fellas.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

MT 275/40/17 tried and true as stated before. Just IMHO
Jeff
Old 02-28-2014, 04:47 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Now its between MT 275/40/R17 & 295/45/R17 for the tires.

Had these wheels in mind for the rear in a 17x9.5 +54mm size.
http://www.corvette-wheels.com/c6-z0...hined-lip.html

Any comments or approvals on the above?
I'm looking at similar wheels, just Chrome Z06 deep dish replicas but same size and offset. The WS6 wheels I run my 295/45/17's on are 9.5" wide with a 56mm offset and they rub slightly, not a big deal though. But I'm afraid if I get those, the 2mm will make all the difference and I'll crack a fender. So I'm thinking of getting them and having 2mm shaved off the hub.

Get notified of new replies

To supercharged 05' need drag radial suggestions

Old 02-28-2014, 05:00 PM
kruser0922
Advanced

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I'm looking at similar wheels, just Chrome Z06 deep dish replicas but same size and offset. The WS6 wheels I run my 295/45/17's on are 9.5" wide with a 56mm offset and they rub slightly, not a big deal though. But I'm afraid if I get those, the 2mm will make all the difference and I'll crack a fender. So I'm thinking of getting them and having 2mm shaved off the hub.
So I assume with the wheels I mentioned being nearly similar to what you had your eye on, it is the extra tire width of (20 mm overall) between the 275/40/17 and 295/45/17 that is doing the rubbing?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:03 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

So I assume with the wheels I mentioned being nearly similar to what you had your eye on, it is the extra tire width of (20 mm overall) between the 275/40/17 and 295/45/17 that is doing the rubbing?
Perhaps. I've not tried the 275 but thats a good point, I would imagine the smaller width would more than make up for the 2mm offset.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:12 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11

Just giving up some sidewall and width (and overall height, but that may or may not be desireable for you).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: supercharged 05' need drag radial suggestions