C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 hot cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:28 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Ones anyone here have a GMPP hot cam in an LS3 with an A6? Looking for confirmation that it will still be totally driveable on the street. Not looking to put a stall convertor in it as it is not a drag application.
I was also advised to look at the LS7 OEM cam but the specs say it had a .591 valve opening and my heads say max .575.
I'm staying with all GM or GMPP at this time so it stays under warranty (confirmed with GM)

Thanks

Last edited by jbondfl; 11-09-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:34 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I was looking at that cam for my mn6, but I decided to go another route. In my research I've gathered that the Hot Cam is tough to tune with automatics.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:35 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

You won't have that much lift (more like .558) with your LS3 1.7 ratio rocker arms. The lift on the LS7 is done with 1.8 ratio rockers. Your springs are fine with with the LS7 cam as long as you're not planning to rev it to the moon. If you're not doing a custom spec cam along with upgraded springs/pushrods, the LS7 cam isn't a bad way to go. You won't be happy with the Hot cam along with an unstalled A6.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:44 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, so much to learn about cam application. The LS7 cam spec look more aggressive than the hot cam. Really appreciate the insight.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:53 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Why not just go with the LS9 bumpstick?
Old 11-09-2013, 01:39 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Had never considered the LS9 cam but lingenfelter specs that a boost cam, with a fairly large lsa. It's also a 3 bolt cam and requires a conversion kit. I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2013, 02:35 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by jbondfl
Had never considered the LS9 cam but lingenfelter specs that a boost cam, with a fairly large lsa. It's also a 3 bolt cam and requires a conversion kit. I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

Thanks
Going with a 3 bolt cam is no big deal, you just use the LS7 cam gear.

The LS9 can will work, but would be better with boost.

If your local dealer told you that installing a GMPP or a factory replacement part, in a non factory fashion will preserve your drive train warranty couldn't be more wrong. Aside from changing out the 'factory installed' part, or, as it came from GM, you will need a tune to maximize your parts, and that will certainly cause concern. There are plenty of threads where dealers say this, but are the only ones that will warrant it. No other dealer will stand behind this.

TBO, any cam that will not need tuning isn't worth the effort or money to install it. Your selection should start at 220 @ 0.50.

RLSebring installed the hot cam and had multiple problems with the tune and driveability.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:54 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by glenB

RLSebring installed the hot cam and had multiple problems with the tune and driveability.

I can attest I had a nightmare on my hands with the Hot Cam. Although I didn't install it it did come with the 480hp "hot cam" crate motor I installed in my 08 A6.

I have numerous post concerning the horror... In a nut shell the LSA was too low to allow for a livable idle/low speed drivability. Once rolling above 1000rpm it ran like a scalded dog.

We installed the LS7 came and all is good. Still has a lot of power. Tuned very easily and idles low speed driving is great.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:30 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the very welled timed information. I'll be going with the LS7 cam.

For the record (and continued discussion):
I'm okay with only one dealer willing to warrant the work. I'm usually within trailering distance to my dealer.
The dealer told me he believes the Hot Cam comes with a package tune from GM. Perhaps not optimum but neither is the stock tune in a stock engine.
I totally agree with the "any cam that doesn't need tuning....." statement. As a matter of fact I'd mostly carry that over to all performance mods, including CAI. The difference here is that you'd be breaking open the engine for very little gain. That wouldn't sound reasonable to me.

So,,,,, it looks like GMPP LS3 heads and an LS7 cam, headers, and if I can get that guy in WPB to part with it,, ,,, a FAST intake.

Really appreciate all the advice.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm okay with only one dealer willing to warrant the work. I'm usually within trailering distance to my dealer.
The dealer told me he believes the Hot Cam comes with a package tune from GM. Perhaps not optimum but neither is the stock tune in a stock engine.
I totally agree with the "any cam that doesn't need tuning....." statement. As a matter of fact I'd mostly carry that over to all performance mods, including CAI. The difference here is that you'd be breaking open the engine for very little gain. That wouldn't sound reasonable to me.

So,,,,, it looks like GMPP LS3 heads and an LS7 cam, headers, and if I can get that guy in WPB to part with it,, ,,, a FAST intake.

Headers and the 102 FAST intake are my two favorite mods for my 07.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:00 AM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'm shipping out a new LS7 cam to jbondfl on Monday.

I've also go NEW www.AmericanRacingHeaders.com available to fully optimize the cam swap, headers and a cam is the best "bang for the buck" mod on any LS1/2/3/7

Thanks very much
Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

You might want to research that FAST intake mani for your LS3. I don't think you'll get the results that the LS2 guys see....especially with a very mild cam.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:51 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm looking to do a cam as well, I'm looking for one thats right on the edge of of streetable. I do have a Manual GS so I should be able to go a bit more aggressive than our Automatic brothers... but I still want it to be able to idle well in traffic and still hold OD without bucking.

I'm new to the LS3 so I'm all ears on this tread.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 11-10-2013, 07:19 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I believe I would have really liked the hot cam had I had a manual. If I didn't have to come to a stop or drive around slow in traffic it would have been great.

The guy I sold the cam to loves it.

Get notified of new replies

To LS3 hot cam

Quick Reply: LS3 hot cam