C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Cold Air Intake for my c6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Just because I don't type like a secretary, failed English and quit school, I still been married 42 years raised six kids, have my own business, my c6 is paid off, looks great, really fast, and lots of mods. so weather it genius or common sense, I have already done it,, don't need to prove anything to anybody especially you, I am giving my expert opinion on the product, that I have had since 2005, yet you don't even no where your car gets its air from to the stock air intake and never had a vararam and state the lg super ram looks bad ***, how about how it works. and do your testing at the 1/4 mile, I can build race and drive circle around you. debate the forced air with Patrick at vararam, read every part of the literature, read the gm high tech article, obviously you didnt, you just make false statements to act smart. like drive it around it will get better he did 1000 miles home, the effects of DA, I can calculate in my head exactly what i will run on any given day. stop trying to act like your smarter then a dropout, and illiterate, i taught myself to type, and spell thanks to repetition on the corvette forum. and i can sit here all day and still afford $400 for a vararam and I laugh at anything you idiots say, match my skills in the 1/4, if i dont like you you wont win

Dennis, if you have nothing to prove... then why are you attacking EVERYONE who is not sold on the intake you have? If you say you have nothing to prove, then stop trying to prove it by attacking everyone... Personally I dont think you need to prove anything either... You do have a fast car, you do have the VR intake , the only thing you an I disagreed on is how that power was made. You say "RAM AIR" I say due to intake design... Really dude, your going to attack me every corner on the site because you strongly disagree with me? You have bent this entire subject out of proportion.

And now you want to pass your debate on RAM AIR to Patrick? Your the one who attacked EVERYONE so perhaps you should stop trying to let others clean up your mess. Just agree to disagree...

And dont let my being new to the C6 fool you... I have plenty of track time under my own belt. I have built my fair share of Pontiac and Chrysler engines and have made a good reputation while doing it. So try not to be so quick to Judge people, your car is not exempt from physics, fluid dynamics and every other trick that has been used on race cars since the 60's... In the end, they are all the same... your car is NOT special. I dont need to "LEARN" my C6 to be good at what I do... I just need to familiarize myself with it and Ill be able to execute my goals. Its going to be a very short learning curve as I apply what i already know based on 20+ years of experience and the experiences of others who have already accomplished what I'm looking to do.

As for 1/4 racing goes. I'm taking my GS to the road course... thats what it will be doing. I do have a 1969 Pontiac 455 Firebird Convertible that would give your vett a run for its money... Buidling a Pontiac 455ci bored and stroked out to 515. It will be Fuel Injected and Supercharged... That will be my weekend 1/4 mile track car... driven to the track of course!

Can we just let this rest and move on?

Also, drastic changes in altitude will require the vehicle PCM to adjust. Depending on how much a change in altitude will determine the time it takes for the PCM to catch up. In his case, he went from sea level to 5,000 feet in less than a day or two... As the OP said, a good amount of power did return after several days. I never suggested it would all return... I do know their is a HUGE difference in pressure... but he should have seen a good amount of power return after some driving cycles. Also I think you missed him post, the same advice was given to him by GM reps. So although I may not be smarter than a 5th grader.... I did know the answer to that one! FYI, Resetting the PCM has also been known to help vehicles adjust to new mods quicker as well. Same principle. You should try it!

Happy Veterans day!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 11-11-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:16 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AIR_RAM
Dennis, if you have nothing to prove... then why are you attacking EVERYONE who is not sold on the intake you have? If you say you have nothing to prove, then stop trying to prove it by attacking everyone... Personally I dont think you need to prove anything either... You do have a fast car, you do have the VR intake , the only thing you an I disagreed on is how that power was made. You say "RAM AIR" I say due to intake design... Really dude, your going to attack me every corner on the site because you strongly disagree with me? You have bent this entire subject out of proportion.

And now you want to pass your debate on RAM AIR to Patrick? Your the one who attacked EVERYONE so perhaps you should stop trying to let others clean up your mess. Just agree to disagree...

And dont let my being new to the C6 fool you... I have plenty of track time under my own belt. I have built my fair share of Pontiac and Chrysler engines and have made a good reputation while doing it. So try not to be so quick to Judge people, your car is not exempt from physics, fluid dynamics and every other trick that has been used on race cars since the 60's... In the end, they are all the same... your car is NOT special. I dont need to "LEARN" my C6 to be good at what I do... I just need to familiarize myself with it and Ill be able to execute my goals. Its going to be a very short learning curve as I apply what i already know based on 20+ years of experience and the experiences of others who have already accomplished what I'm looking to do.

As for 1/4 racing goes. I'm taking my GS to the road course... thats what it will be doing. I do have a 1969 Pontiac 455 Firebird Convertible that would give your vett a run for its money... Buidling a Pontiac 455ci bored and stroked out to 515. It will be Fuel Injected and Supercharged... That will be my weekend 1/4 mile track car... driven to the track of course!

Can we just let this rest and move on?

Also, drastic changes in altitude will require the vehicle PCM to adjust. Depending on how much a change in altitude will determine the time it takes for the PCM to catch up. In his case, he went from sea level to 5,000 feet in less than a day or two... As the OP said, a good amount of power did return after several days. I never suggested it would all return... I do know their is a HUGE difference in pressure... but he should have seen a good amount of power return. Also I think you missed him post, the same advice was given to him by GM reps. So although I may not be smarter than a 5th grader.... I did know the answer to that one! FYI, Resetting the PCM has also been known to help vehicles adjust to new mods quicker as well. Same principle. You should try it!

Happy Veterans day!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
the op got use to the power decrease, it adjust fuel gm reps are there to give you an answer and make you happy telling you what you want to hear, if you think that car runs close to the same, lets put all the tracks at 7000 ft and correct are dyno to 7000 ft I haven't attacked anyone, just stated the facts, anyone who reads any of these threads can clearly see you are the aggressor, as far as your Pontiac or whatever bring it to MIR no excuses2 and we will see how many car lengths my special car can put on yours talk talk talk, oh and we can move on anytime you stop posting to me, if every post i make you have a wise *** comment, bring that will be car mine is ready now!!!! will be in one hand and **** in the other and see which one fills up first my friend

Last edited by dennis50nj; 11-11-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:46 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...provement.html

also AIR RAM go back and re read this thread and the one i am answering you in,1st no where does it say i said vararam was bad, thats another lie from your mouth. 2nd read it I was in these threads before you, and answered you civilly, with my opinion which i have a vararam, and after a couple posts back and fourth you attacked my intelligence and common sense. Sir you are the attacker, its in black and white for all to read. you are an internet Bully, I wont be bullied spew your lies all you want. people can read. and of course ask Patrick he designed the vararam, you did state bad things about the sales practice they answered you in how it works, maybe you can advise him personally its not a good business decision to have me talk about vararam now that made me really spit my drink out oh your 3rd lie the email you said you sent me, still haven't received it

Last edited by dennis50nj; 11-11-2013 at 10:48 PM. Reason: another air ram lie
Old 11-12-2013, 05:38 AM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...provement.html

also AIR RAM go back and re read this thread and the one i am answering you in,1st no where does it say i said vararam was bad, thats another lie from your mouth. 2nd read it I was in these threads before you, and answered you civilly, with my opinion which i have a vararam, and after a couple posts back and fourth you attacked my intelligence and common sense. Sir you are the attacker, its in black and white for all to read. you are an internet Bully, I wont be bullied spew your lies all you want. people can read. and of course ask Patrick he designed the vararam, you did state bad things about the sales practice they answered you in how it works, maybe you can advise him personally its not a good business decision to have me talk about vararam now that made me really spit my drink out oh your 3rd lie the email you said you sent me, still haven't received it

Dennis... I never said I sent you an E-mail... I'm starting to think our disconnect is your ability to comprehend the meaning as to what is being said.

Most of us get E-mail notifications when ever someone replies on a tread I'm following. In that e-mail notification they include a snapshot of the reply. Since you suggested I deleted my post because I was trying to hide something... I suggested that you to look at the e-mail notification to see what it was that I posted.

I have posted no lies... Simply attempted to have a discussion which you willing jumped in on passionately attacking EVERYONE who did not agree with your opinion.

Originally Posted by Mark Twain
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
I completely give up on you Dennis... You truly are a lost cause with a cool car. If only your car could make you a better person!

Originally Posted by The best feature EVER on Corvette Forum!
This message is hidden because dennis50nj is on your ignore list.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 11-12-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 AM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by limerockracer
I'm considering replacing my stock air filter on my c6 with a cold air intake. Does anyone have a recommendation?
I must apologize for hijacking your tread...

Lets allow this to get this back on track.

As you can see there are several options out there. My recommendation would be based on what your actual needs are. I personally dont believe one size fits all.
  • Are you planning on going to the track? If so how often?
  • Are you trying to squeeze the absolute most out of your engine NA?
  • Do you plan to boost down the road? If so you may want to hold out and put the money spent on an intake towards the blower.
  • Are you simply looking for increased Fuel Economy?
  • Are you limited on the amount of money you can spend? They can range from FREE to $400 and even up to $1,500.00

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by AIR_RAM
Dennis... I never said I sent you an E-mail... I'm starting to think our disconnect is your ability to comprehend the meaning as to what is being said.

Most of us get E-mail notifications when ever someone replies on a tread I'm following. In that e-mail notification they include a snapshot of the reply. Since you suggested I deleted my post because I was trying to hide something... I suggested that you to look at the e-mail notification to see what it was that I posted.

I have posted no lies... Simply attempted to have a discussion which you willing jumped in on passionately attacking EVERYONE who did not agree with your opinion.

I completely give up on you Dennis... You truly are a lost cause with a cool car. If only your car could make you a better person!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
your right, i mis read the email notification, and get your point but i dont get email notifications when someone answers my post, i can wait. I am only posting this because you cant see it
Old 04-21-2018, 04:16 PM
edmedlin
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMcoolX
I keep hearing that the air intake system on the LS3 engine is almost as good as the aftermarket systems. Any truth to that?
Yes. A cai (pick any) needs more to make a significant difference. Tuning, exhaust, cam, and whatever else your experienced tuner recommends. The cai alone does very little by itself.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:26 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by edmedlin

Yes. A cai (pick any) needs more to make a significant difference. Tuning, exhaust, cam, and whatever else your experienced tuner recommends. The cai alone does very little by itself.
This is a 5 year old thread. You need to notice the date of the last posted response. If it's more than a few months old, don't bother replying unless you have significant new information.

BTW, I have documentation confirming that colder air makes a solid difference by itself. No "tuner" required.
It's on this forum, so search and read, but don't reply if you have nothing to add.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:28 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Vararam and tune.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:58 AM
tmryann
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Halltech and Vararam are both nice intakes. Good quality and performance.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:18 PM
BlueVetteGS
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmryann
Halltech and Vararam are both nice intakes. Good quality and performance.
Well lets not leave out the Hammerhead Ram Air SS cold air intake - I installed this intake on '12 GS and my service engine light came on and started flashing at the upper rpm because air fuel mixture was way too lean I had to increase fuel by 5% in midrange and 6% at 5000+ rpm and the car is definitely faster with this intake.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:53 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Remember with more air flow comes dirty engine. The stock air filter for the Base C6 is used on the Z06 so it gives plenty of air for the LS3 and the filter is excellent keeping out dirt.

Now going to a true cold air intake, getting colder air, will show gains and likely have worse filtering of contaminants.

Your choice but no free lunch.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:53 PM
BlueVetteGS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Remember with more air flow comes dirty engine. The stock air filter for the Base C6 is used on the Z06 so it gives plenty of air for the LS3 and the filter is excellent keeping out dirt.

Now going to a true cold air intake, getting colder air, will show gains and likely have worse filtering of contaminants.

Your choice but no free lunch.
I see your point and I'm concerned about the quality of air into the engine however, my situation more has to do with the size of the opening I had to cut due to the size of the Ram Air SS.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:10 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Have you experienced hesitation with constant throttle input.

I did with the Vararam. Has to do with a finicky mass air sensor.

Tuner helped some but I could still feel it although very slight.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:39 PM
BlueVetteGS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Have you experienced hesitation with constant throttle input.

I did with the Vararam. Has to do with a finicky mass air sensor.

Tuner helped some but I could still feel it although very slight.
Actually not but, however the car did develop a exhaust noise in front due to the excessive air entering the throttle as well as the way the LS3 heads is designed I cut the resonator off the oem intake and attached it to the Ram SS intake which greatly reduced the intake/exhaust noise also I do have the GM hot cam installed.

Quick Reply: Best Cold Air Intake for my c6?