C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Cold Air Intake for my c6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:44 AM
limerockracer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Cold Air Intake for my c6?

I'm considering replacing my stock air filter on my c6 with a cold air intake. Does anyone have a recommendation?
Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Can't give any answers until we know what year and model C6 you have. C6, C6 GS, C6 Z06?
Old 11-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Easy answer Halltech intake hands down.
The following users liked this post:
damascus1986 (04-23-2018)
Old 11-09-2013, 12:35 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I just bought an Z06 intake off ebay for $35, right about now I think that is the best one. I will cut a big f'n hole in my rad support and add an aftermarket filter. It doesn't get any better than that. The only turbulence I expect is the Flak I am about to get from this post I am currently writing.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
I just bought an Z06 intake off ebay for $35, right about now I think that is the best one. I will cut a big f'n hole in my rad support and add an aftermarket filter. It doesn't get any better than that. The only turbulence I expect is the Flak I am about to get from this post I am currently writing.

Post a few pics of the process please.....
Old 11-09-2013, 07:49 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
great choice let us know how it works out, any 1/8 mile times, I use to live near the peaks of otter and play bingo in roanoke salem and vinton bedford lynchburg
Old 11-09-2013, 08:52 PM
limerockracer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
Can't give any answers until we know what year and model C6 you have. C6, C6 GS, C6 Z06?
I have a 2007 base c6, LS2 engine
Old 11-09-2013, 09:37 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

The worst part about the LS2 is the intake, IMO. I would save for a FAST 102 and maybe some headers. Those are my two favorite mods on my 07. If you are drag racing, I hear the http://www.vararam.com/sc1.html is very good.
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Vararam by a landslide! And I have had just about all of them!

Last edited by meadowz06; 11-10-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by limerockracer
I have a 2007 base c6, LS2 engine
Hands down the Vararam is the fastest, its on all the fastest c6s in the top spots bolt/ons, heads & cam, and on 90 % of the top 20 , you will get opinions from many that there homemade is best or putting a z06 stock filter is best or any cai is best or even how it works with there own scientific theory on how it doesn't work, or even the common sense angle on how it does work, all those claiming to know don't race but they know what makes a car go fast at least that's there claim thank GOD i didn't listen to any of the closet racers and dyno racers, I chose Vararam and my car has held the top bolt/on spot for many years, also the cam only, and .006 from the heads and cam, now how could all these top times be wrong. thats scientific documented proof not just
Old 11-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

I've owned over six intake brands on previous Corvettes and the fit and finish of the vararam in my opinion is garbage. I was not a fan of that foam filter they supplied on my C5 kit and I switched to the Halltech intake both on my C5 and C6 and hands down the Halltech is the quality intake on the market.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:54 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gering
The worst part about the LS2 is the intake, IMO. I would save for a FAST 102 and maybe some headers. Those are my two favorite mods on my 07. If you are drag racing, I hear the http://www.vararam.com/sc1.html is very good.
Funny thing Pete some people were saying an over heating problem with vararam, I have not had this problem as i have a cartek fan module and 160 state and fan tuning, I have a hard time reaching 180 need 4-5 hot laps or 20 minutes at higher rpms to reach 180, the air comes up from the dam and the opening blocks no more air then the front license plate
Old 11-09-2013, 10:01 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by Brandon619
I've owned over six intake brands on previous Corvettes and the fit and finish of the vararam in my opinion is garbage. I was not a fan of that foam filter they supplied on my C5 kit and I switched to the Halltech intake both on my C5 and C6 and hands down the Halltech is the quality intake on the market.
I hear that a lot from other intake owners, but how is there black plastic any different then the stock black plastic or the vararam black plastic I cant see any difference then whats in my engine compartment, that upper has been there for 8 years
Name:  004-1.jpg
Views: 9162
Size:  112.6 KB
Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Hands down the Vararam is the fastest, its on all the fastest c6s in the top spots bolt/ons, heads & cam, and on 90 % of the top 20 , you will get opinions from many that there homemade is best or putting a z06 stock filter is best or any cai is best or even how it works with there own scientific theory on how it doesn't work, or even the common sense angle on how it does work, all those claiming to know don't race but they know what makes a car go fast at least that's there claim thank GOD i didn't listen to any of the closet racers and dyno racers, I chose Vararam and my car has held the top bolt/on spot for many years, also the cam only, and .006 from the heads and cam, now how could all these top times be wrong. thats scientific documented proof not just
The funny thing is Dennis... your the only one I have ever heard who suggested the Vararam does not work. Even in the last tread you attacked everyone in; nobody suggested the Vararam did not work except you...You need to get control of those voices in your head.

We did inform you that your gains had nothing to do with Ram Air... but other than that nobody said it was a bad intake... Perhaps you should see a doc about those voices... Just saying.

On a side note... it does look monstrous under the hood and I like the fact that its making use of all the available space. And I agree that the plastic should not make a difference unless its weak and flimsy, I have never installed one so I cant speak for the quality but the size and shape shown in the picture above appears to be a decent intake.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 11-09-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:56 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Vararam.
The following users liked this post:
Jlang1 (06-06-2020)
Old 11-10-2013, 02:55 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I cannot believe he continues this BS from thread to thread. I guess the old saying hold true. and yes when I get it done I will post pic's of what I have done and then you can attack me again lol.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 AM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Originally Posted by AIR_RAM
The funny thing is Dennis... your the only one I have ever heard who suggested the Vararam does not work. Even in the last tread you attacked everyone in; nobody suggested the Vararam did not work except you...You need to get control of those voices in your head.

We did inform you that your gains had nothing to do with Ram Air... but other than that nobody said it was a bad intake... Perhaps you should see a doc about those voices... Just saying.

On a side note... it does look monstrous under the hood and I like the fact that its making use of all the available space. And I agree that the plastic should not make a difference unless its weak and flimsy, I have never installed one so I cant speak for the quality but the size and shape shown in the picture above appears to be a decent intake.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Listen!!! I never said the Vararam didn't work in any thread, I told you and anyone else it is the best, its the best CAI. you thought you told me how it worked, but you dont have one how the hell could you, I have had probably one of the first vararams for the c6, I attribute my super fast ets and mph to vararam, the fastest c6s all have vararam. now i will ask you this question another time, if vararam doesn't have any forcing of air, hence a ram air effect, this is the simple part, with the stock air intake the iat's will reach ambient in about 100 ft at speed, so no difference would be seen in getting cold air to the engine after 100 ft because the iat's prove that they are the same, so how the hell does someone gain 5/10 and 5 mph in just 100 ft, the vararam doesn't show no gain on the dyno, but it does in the 1/4 so it must do more then just cold air, force cold air at speed, the whole time your accelerating and more the faster you go. is that really so hard to understand. I have the Vararam, you can see it on my car its been on since December 2005 it fits perfect never hydroloc, driven in snow and heavy rain super storm sandy hitting deep puddles, less then $400 same green race filter, Installed by me before all the others without cutting there ac condenser. I really dont care how you think it works, I know it works and if you dont have one you have no chance of ever beating me NA or bolt/on now you can tell me your car will never see the 1/4 mile that doesnt mater, you are already trying to make it faster by changing or some homemade system to go faster, the 1/4 results that vararam claims are proven so you dont need to take it to the track you will feel it, I let Larry Wood driver of the 10.5 outlaw ZR1 take mine for a ride, he came back and said thats a high 9 second car NA, I said yes it is with you driving, you weigh 150 i weigh 293 and went 10.16 so he was right, if he can tell that seat of the pants then you can tell with the gains from vararam, But please answer my question for the 5th time has anyone have the answer, you can still have forced air with out boost,

Get notified of new replies

To Best Cold Air Intake for my c6?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:24 AM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
Listen!!! I never said the Vararam didn't work in any thread, I told you and anyone else it is the best, its the best CAI. you thought you told me how it worked, but you dont have one how the hell could you, I have had probably one of the first vararams for the c6, I attribute my super fast ets and mph to vararam, the fastest c6s all have vararam. now i will ask you this question another time, if vararam doesn't have any forcing of air, hence a ram air effect, this is the simple part, with the stock air intake the iat's will reach ambient in about 100 ft at speed, so no difference would be seen in getting cold air to the engine after 100 ft because the iat's prove that they are the same, so how the hell does someone gain 5/10 and 5 mph in just 100 ft, the vararam doesn't show no gain on the dyno, but it does in the 1/4 so it must do more then just cold air, force cold air at speed, the whole time your accelerating and more the faster you go. is that really so hard to understand. I have the Vararam, you can see it on my car its been on since December 2005 it fits perfect never hydroloc, driven in snow and heavy rain super storm sandy hitting deep puddles, less then $400 same green race filter, Installed by me before all the others without cutting there ac condenser. I really dont care how you think it works, I know it works and if you dont have one you have no chance of ever beating me NA or bolt/on now you can tell me your car will never see the 1/4 mile that doesnt mater, you are already trying to make it faster by changing or some homemade system to go faster, the 1/4 results that vararam claims are proven so you dont need to take it to the track you will feel it, I let Larry Wood driver of the 10.5 outlaw ZR1 take mine for a ride, he came back and said thats a high 9 second car NA, I said yes it is with you driving, you weigh 150 i weigh 293 and went 10.16 so he was right, if he can tell that seat of the pants then you can tell with the gains from vararam, But please answer my question for the 5th time has anyone have the answer, you can still have forced air with out boost,
I answered your question several times... your the one who refused to read what others have posted.

Ok... Here it goes Dennis... The answer to your question AGAIN!!!

More un restrictive, Non turbulent, cool air. (With a big credit to the "NON TURBULENT"

That is why you saw the gains you are seeing!

I honestly feel your giving way to much credit to the placement of the air scoop when you should be giving it to the actual intake design!

I have been trying to suggest to you that the design of the VR may be the reason so many people are seeing such great gains. I believe the placement of the scoop is just one small part of it.

And again, I know your going to keep asking the question so here is the answer AGAIN!

More un restrictive, Non turbulent, cool air.

Honestly Dennis, your the worst possible representative for the Vararam intake could possibly have...your trash talking scares anyone who may be on the fence for one away... They really should do some damage control where ever you post about their intake.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Last edited by AIR_RAM; 11-10-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:29 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by AIR_RAM
I answered your question several times... your the one who refused to read what others have posted.

Ok... Here it goes Dennis... The answer to your question AGAIN!!!

More un restrictive, Non turbulent, cool air. (With a big credit to the "NON TURBULENT"

That is why you saw the gains you are seeing!

I honestly feel your giving way to much credit to the placement of the air scoop when you should be giving it to the actual intake design!

I have been trying to suggest to you that the design of the VR may be the reason so many people are seeing such great gains. I believe the placement of the scoop is just one small part of it.

And again, I know your going to keep asking the question so here is the answer AGAIN!

More un restrictive, Non turbulent, cool air.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
why do you continue? just give up, something is dense and it is not the COLD AIR.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:38 AM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

I think he means well, he's just a bit abrasive with his replies... Also, posting on forums is so impersonal it's easy to misunderstand emotion and meaning. I'm simply discussing the topic... I assume he is as well.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Quick Reply: Best Cold Air Intake for my c6?