C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 A/T Shifter trouble

Old 06-11-2014, 02:21 PM
JShocik
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 A/T Shifter trouble

I'm having trouble with my '06 A/T shifter, it won't shift into anything but N & D, can't even get it into P. I brought it straight to the local dealer & they're saying it needs a new shifter & gear ****, at around $800 installed. Has anyone had an issue with their C6 like this?? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:10 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Very common.

You could probably do a little better on the cost with an independent mechanic.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:42 PM
JShocik
Intermediate

Thanks for replying Rick...unfortunately it's all ready at the dealership apart. Worse still, the shifter assembly is "on backorder". Don't know for how long. Is there an aftermarket shifter assembly available??
Old 06-12-2014, 01:12 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JShocik
Thanks for replying Rick...unfortunately it's all ready at the dealership apart. Worse still, the shifter assembly is "on backorder". Don't know for how long. Is there an aftermarket shifter assembly available??
Not that I'm aware of.

Have you tried our vendor gmpartshouse.com? They might be able to help. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:28 PM
JShocik
Intermediate

Right after I replied to you, I looked at that site & they list a shifter assembly for a '13 C6. I don't know if it'll fit or not...I would think so as they're all C6's & hopefully the same.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: I just had this happen to me 2 days ago while I was getting an alignment. The sad part is that I just replaced a broken shift **** about 4 months ago. I think a new **** was around $150., but not sure. At least I was able to drive to my independent mechanic. They were able to get a new **** the next day. Good Luck.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:29 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Right after I replied to you, I looked at that site & they list a shifter assembly for a '13 C6. I don't know if it'll fit or not...I would think so as they're all C6's & hopefully the same.
I'm sure it does but call Patrick or Gene. They will do their best to help.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:13 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

make sure to record your issue at the NHTSA's site www.safercar.gov . The issue is part of the safety system on the Vette and the solenoid goes bad causing the entire shifter (and sometimes cable) to be replaced. The challenge is the part is no different than the original and GM refuses to recall these issues. Becareful as you could get stuck somewhere with no ability to move the car.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 06-12-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:52 PM
JShocik
Intermediate

Rick, I looked at another C/F advertiser, MacMulkin Chev. in Nashua, NH, which isn't that far away from me, got some info from their web site, & I'll call them tomorrow to see if they have the part.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:01 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Rick, I looked at another C/F advertiser, MacMulkin Chev. in Nashua, NH, which isn't that far away from me, got some info from their web site, & I'll call them tomorrow to see if they have the part.
They're probably fine but don't know anything about their parts operation.

Another source is Forum vendor Fichtner Chev in Montana.....talk to Bob in parts.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 PM
JShocik
Intermediate

If MacMulkin doesn't have it, I want to talk to the dealership that has my car now to see how much "effort" they're using to find the needed parts. If MacMulkin does have the parts, then I'll have a "different" talk with my dealership, though I don't think that'll be necessary as they're pretty good service wise.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 A/T Shifter trouble

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 A/T Shifter trouble