C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I keep failing my inspection!!!

Old 12-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I keep failing my inspection!!!

I failed my sixth inspection today and I want to pull my hair out. It keeps reading EVAP and O2 system not ready. We have checked both issues with a tech tool and everything is working fine. I have had the car in the shop to check the tune and everything is turned on. The car has at least 100 - 150 miles on it since the computer was flashed the last time. So who can tell me what is going on, why does it keep saying system not ready? All I need is one of them to clear and it will pass inspection. Both of the O2 sensors are new and I know they are heating. I am not running the down stream O2 sensors. This is the first time I have had any issue getting the car inspected.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:47 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You need a specific number of "drive cycles" to clear some codes. Everyime you "reflash" the computer or disconnect the battery the cycle starts again.

Drive cycles are a PITA to drive. I had the same problem on inspection since I had just changed the battery 2 weeks before the inspection. I tried the drive cycles and drove the car another two weeks before I went back to the inspector and finally passed.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

So what counts as a drive cycle? Is it miles driven, number of times started and shut down, number of times you use the radio, turn on the AC, close the gas lid, etc? What a PIA!
Old 12-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

The cheap scanners you can get at Walmart normally tell you if the system is ready or not for inspection so you can check before you go.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:09 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Crowhater
So what counts as a drive cycle? Is it miles driven, number of times started and shut down, number of times you use the radio, turn on the AC, close the gas lid, etc? What a PIA!
I didn't bookmark it, sorry. I found it on a search of CF last January. It's miles driven at xx speed for xx length of time for xx number of times. It's a real PITA.

Don't change anything while you're in the middle of a drive cycle, don't tune, don't disconnect the battery.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Originally Posted by haljensen
I didn't bookmark it, sorry. I found it on a search of CF last January. It's miles driven at xx speed for xx length of time for xx number of times. It's a real PITA.

Don't change anything while you're in the middle of a drive cycle, don't tune, don't disconnect the battery.

Now we are getting someplace. Does anyone know the exact procedure?
Old 12-10-2014, 07:23 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

The cheap scanners you can get at Walmart normally tell you if the system is ready or not for inspection so you can check before you go.
Thanks Joe G; That's what I used before.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Thank you guys
Old 12-11-2014, 01:12 AM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I failed my sixth inspection today and I want to pull my hair out. It keeps reading EVAP and O2 system not ready. We have checked both issues with a tech tool and everything is working fine. I have had the car in the shop to check the tune and everything is turned on. The car has at least 100 - 150 miles on it since the computer was flashed the last time. So who can tell me what is going on, why does it keep saying system not ready? All I need is one of them to clear and it will pass inspection. Both of the O2 sensors are new and I know they are heating. I am not running the down stream O2 sensors. This is the first time I have had any issue getting the car inspected.
You don't need to go thru the BS of a drive cycle as it usually never works anyway.

Have somebody pull your tune and send it to me and I'll make the needed changes for you. My car doesn't have cats or any of the oxygen sensors and all my OBD systems show as ready, even if I've just flashed the car.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Ancient Warrior
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default GM OBD 2 Drive cycle

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...ving-cycle.php
Old 12-13-2014, 09:21 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
You don't need to go thru the BS of a drive cycle as it usually never works anyway.

Have somebody pull your tune and send it to me and I'll make the needed changes for you. My car doesn't have cats or any of the oxygen sensors and all my OBD systems show as ready, even if I've just flashed the car.
Very nice!
Old 12-14-2014, 10:07 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Disconnect the battery and then try to get a clear inspection, tune or no tune doesn't matter. If the battery has been swapped or disconnected/re-connected you won't pass a Texas OBD2 plug in Inspection without going thru the drive cycles.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:24 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Disconnect the battery and then try to get a clear inspection, tune or no tune doesn't matter. If the battery has been swapped or disconnected/re-connected you won't pass a Texas OBD2 plug in Inspection without going thru the drive cycles.
You know, I don't make this stuff up guys. If people would just listen to me when I tell them something I wouldn't need to go out on a cold Sunday morning and take videos like this:

The video demonstrates two key things - one, that even if the battery is disconnected and reconnected the OBD systems will show as ready without a drive cycle and two, they'll show as ready regardless of mods as the car doesn't have O2 sensors or cats for that matter.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Mike Farris
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree with Subfloor. This is a tune issue.

Crow: 510 race engineering and KP Racing have both tuned my car at different points and can easily handle this issue.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Suds
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I got my December inspection done last Saturday.
It passed with a cam, headers and high flow cats in Houston.
I Had To Know, because I could see some parameters that weren't in ready state.
Funny thing was the 50ish Indian guy that did the test walked behind my car and suggested that I get a tuneup because of the rough idle.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:19 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Subfloor knows EXACTLY what he's talking about...don't doubt him and what a generous offer he made.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Atomic C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Subfloor knows EXACTLY what he's talking about...don't doubt him and what a generous offer he made.
Subfloor is spot on!

Get notified of new replies

To I keep failing my inspection!!!

Old 12-15-2014, 01:02 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

On any older car the Evap system can be pesky----you can go thru all that BS that someone recommends about "drive cycles" etc---That's all fine in a perfect world---but in reality they can sometimes NEVER be set to ready----The easiest FIX as explained is to have your local tuner simply "tune out" the pesky Evap/02 codes and be done with them !!!
And don't feel guilty about creating smog---These EVAP /02codes are 99% false codes and there is NOTHING wrong with your engine---The readiness tests can be all set to READY immediately and all the DTC's can be removed Immediately--- then go to the smog shop on the same day !!!!!!! God Bless EFILIVE and HP !!!
Old 12-15-2014, 09:53 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You know, I don't make this stuff up guys. If people would just listen to me when I tell them something I wouldn't need to go out on a cold Sunday morning and take videos like this:

The video demonstrates two key things - one, that even if the battery is disconnected and reconnected the OBD systems will show as ready without a drive cycle and two, they'll show as ready regardless of mods as the car doesn't have O2 sensors or cats for that matter.
All I know is what I experienced. My stock '08 C6 A6 passed TX Inspection 2012 with no tune, no CEL, nothing wrong. The following year (2013) my battery failed the week before my Inspection was due, I installed a new battery, took the car to the same Inspection station as the prior year and failed because of too many "not ready"indicators. The Inspector told me about the drive cycles, I came on here and got the drive cycle steps, ran thru them as best I could a couple of times then went back and passed the inspection.

No tune was involved before or after the failure.The only change was installing a new battery and the only solution that worked was the drive cycle and re-inspection.

My '05 had lots of bolt on mods and a COW tune and always passed Inspection at the same place but it never had the battery disconnected the week before Inspection either and never had to be re-inspected.

Maybe there's a difference in where the Inspection is done? I read that Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston and Austin have different rules than the rest of the State?

Last edited by haljensen; 12-15-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add a line
Old 12-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Wakemaker89
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe there's a difference in where the Inspection is done? I read that Dallas/Ft Worth, Houston and Austin have different rules than the rest of the State?
Where did you read this? I have never heard of anything like this before and am curious since I live in DFW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I keep failing my inspection!!!