C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying daily while staying within CA Emissions? 06 A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:11 PM
VetteofSD
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Modifying daily while staying within CA Emissions? 06 A6

I've been loving my C6 and have recently been looking for some more power and sound. My only concern is if it will no longer pass smog for CA. It has been my daily driver for some time so I don't need a monster, just a bit faster than stock. I've read a dyno tune is the best bang-for-buck mod so I'm considering taking it to West Coast Corvette. My only concern is if it will no longer pass smog for CA. Anyone see any problem with any of the below? thought I'd ask some experts before finding out the hard way!

Currently I have:
K&N Cold Air Intake
Z06 Bi-Mode Mufflers

Considering adding:
Vararam Power Wedge/Spacer
West Coast Corvette Full Tune
LS7 Exhaust Swap
Old 01-29-2015, 03:56 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,182 Likes on 682 Posts

The LS7 exhaust swap is a good way to gain some better exhaust flow and retain a look that will pass visual inspection.

I don't put much faith in TB spacers.

You didn't say what year you have. If you have an LS2, porting the TB and intake manifold are not too expensive, maintain a stock look, and should add at least 10 HP and 10 TQ. An LS3 can also be ported, but on an otherwise stock motor don't see as big gains.

A tune is a good idea. I'd do the mods first so that the tune is based upon the car after the hardware changes.

You can also do a mild cam and still pass the snifer test. WCC can help you select a cam that they know will pass the tailpipe test.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:07 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

In CA, any mod/after market part you do to the car has to have a C.A.R.B # so it will pass the visual part of the test as a Ca approved after market part.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

You might get away with the Z06 exhaust manifolds and cats if the inspector does not notice them, but then again, you may not since they did not come OEM on the LS-2/LS-3 motors if the inspector does notice them.

So before you start adding after market parts on a CA car, make sure that the parts/mods has a C.A.R.B#.
Note, the E-force 600HP superchargers have a C.A.R.B. #, hence D-215-85 and is a legal mod in CA.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:57 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pwalsh117
I've been loving my C6 and have recently been looking for some more power and sound. My only concern is if it will no longer pass smog for CA. It has been my daily driver for some time so I don't need a monster, just a bit faster than stock. I've read a dyno tune is the best bang-for-buck mod so I'm considering taking it to West Coast Corvette. My only concern is if it will no longer pass smog for CA. Anyone see any problem with any of the below? thought I'd ask some experts before finding out the hard way!

Currently I have:
K&N Cold Air Intake
Z06 Bi-Mode Mufflers

Considering adding:
LS7 Exhaust Swap
If you currently have a K&N filter then you'll fail an Inspection. From what I've read on this Forum K&N doesn't have a CARB #.

BTW, it's not a CAI, K&N has never made a CAI for a C6.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:22 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by pwalsh117

Currently I have:
K&N Cold Air Intake
Z06 Bi-Mode Mufflers

Considering adding:
LS7 Exhaust Swap
K&N and vendors that sell them them said that they can not ship to Ca,why is that?? K&N factory was located in Riverside Ca. when I lived out there..
Old 01-30-2015, 06:47 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Honestly clean power...

If you really want to make honest power in CA and do just about everything you want switch over to E85 like I did yesterday Though I'm not in CA.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:03 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
K&N and vendors that sell them them said that they can not ship to Ca,why is that?? K&N factory was located in Riverside Ca. when I lived out there..

Because it cost money to get a CARB #, plus part of the stock intake is a noise reduction system, and may not allow the device to get the Carb# if also does not reduce intake noise.

As for headers, the glitch here is that it moves the location of the Cats farther down stream, and why no one has a Carb # for long tube headers

Note, shorty header do have a CARB #, since it does not move the cats farther down line that those on a Z06. So instead of a z06 system that may not get through inspection, these shorty headers will have a CARB # to pass inspection, and will give you the same gains as the exhaust manifolds on the ZO6.

Last edited by Dano523; 01-30-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:06 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I do not think anyone will be the wiser regarding the Z06 manifolds on the LS3. The important thing is the cats are in the correct spot and the manifold itself looks like a stock unit (as compared to long tub design).

Yes I know it is not kosher as far as the air resources board is concerend. Codes are all in "ready" mode when tested.

I'm sure the shorties will be at a premium over the Z06 system cost wise.

Also while the Z06 system offers good gains in the hp area it does fall significantly short in matching the gains regarding torque, as compared to true long tubes.

I solved this with the addition of steeper gears, 4:10.

Last edited by Boomer111; 01-30-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:46 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dano523
Because it cost money to get a CARB #, plus part of the stock intake is a noise reduction system, and may not allow the device to get the Carb# if also does not reduce intake noise.

As for headers, the glitch here is that it moves the location of the Cats farther down stream, and why no one has a Carb # for long tube headers

Note, shorty header do have a CARB #, since it does not move the cats farther down line that those on a Z06. So instead of a z06 system that may not get through inspection, these shorty headers will have a CARB # to pass inspection, and will give you the same gains as the exhaust manifolds on the ZO6.
Problem being that nobody makes a shorty header that's CARB approved.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:38 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I have z06 manifolds, cats and Hpipe for sale. Pm me if your interested. As mentioned above, there are cams you can use and still pass.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:38 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

CARB # for the 2005 K&N filter.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:42 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES

CARB # for the 2005 K&N filter.
Oh snap! I knew they had a CARB sticker on some of their intakes.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:15 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Brandon619
Oh snap! I knew they had a CARB sticker on some of their intakes.
Somebody posted about this a year ago. It was for the 2005 ONLY and not available now.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:41 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
Somebody posted about this a year ago. It was for the 2005 ONLY and not available now.
2005 only is correct.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by haljensen
Yep, that C.A.R.B.# D-269-31 is only good for the 2005 corvette, K&N part #57-3052.
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-269-31.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To Modifying daily while staying within CA Emissions? 06 A6

Quick Reply: Modifying daily while staying within CA Emissions? 06 A6