C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regear the 6l80 (not the rear end)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:10 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Hal, I'm evidently not doing a good job of explaining what portion of that 436 peak HP is available at any MPH point in any gear.

I fully understand the drag is a constant at any given speed. The difference here is that the HP is not a constant. The gear ratio dictates the RPM at a given speed and the RPM dictates the HP available.

With a stock A6 and 2.56 axle at 182 MPH (your number) and 26.85" tires, the engine is turning 4942 RPM in 5th gear. At that RPM the engine is producing about 8-10% less HP than at it's 5900 RPM peak. Or in HP numbers about 396 at the crank. Now if we change the gear ratio in 5th from .85 to 1.00, the same 182 MPH will have the engine spinning at 5830 RPM or roughly about 1% below it's peak. Or in HP numbers about 431 at the crank. With the difference of the gears, we increased the RPM, which allowed the engine to produce 35 more HP. The HP increase now has the capability to push the car past that 182 MPH number. After reaching peak HP it will fade about 3% by the time it gets to 6500. That's why it's important to keep the engine in the 5500-6500 RPM power band at higher car speeds and why when you hit the highest attainable speed in a stock A6 in 5th gear, it will slow down when you shift to 6th, because the power is not there at the lower RPM. It's also why you downshift to go up steep hills, because the engine doesn't develop as much power at a lower RPM.
That 4942 RPM that you state above is very close to the PEAK HP RPM available for a stock LS3. The HP does not keep climbing with RPM past 5,000 RPM. Redline is not peak HP, it's a number the engineers have decided is the highest they want the motor turning.

Since you won't believe me find a stock LS3 dyno chart and look where the peak HP is, it's below the 5250 crossover and Horsepower DOES NOT increase with higher RPM with a stock LS3. That's why peak speed comes in 5th gear instead of a higher or lower gear ratio.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

But of course none of this has anything to do with the question asked by the OP...he wants to know if he can change gears inside the automatic so that 6th gear will run 3,250 rpm at 100 mph. Maybe a transmission builder can chime in and answer this question.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:47 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by el es tu
I was just wondering... Does anyone sell a kit (or have the capability to make one)that regears the 6l80?

It would be nice to be able to make 6th max out at ~200mph without going to some crazy rearend gearing that ends up making the lower gears useless...

cclive;

Above is his original post. He wanted 6th at 200MPH, we have attempted to explain why that can't happen.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by haljensen
cclive;

Above is his original post. He wanted 6th at 200MPH, we have attempted to explain why that can't happen.
I respectfully disagree with your interpretation of his question. He currently has 6th gear maxxed at about 300mph...it can't go that fast...we all know that. But that is the gear ratio that he currently has. He just wants a gear ratio for 6th that is lower such that 6,500 rpm is at 200 instead of 300. That equates to 3,250 at 100. This way no one will engage in telling him that he can't go 100. He just wants a different gear ratio, not to actually go 200.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by haljensen
That 4942 RPM that you state above is very close to the PEAK HP RPM available for a stock LS3. The HP does not keep climbing with RPM past 5,000 RPM. Redline is not peak HP, it's a number the engineers have decided is the highest they want the motor turning.

Since you won't believe me find a stock LS3 dyno chart and look where the peak HP is, it's below the 5250 crossover and Horsepower DOES NOT increase with higher RPM with a stock LS3. That's why peak speed comes in 5th gear instead of a higher or lower gear ratio.
Hal, you're confusing HP with torque. Remember the link about the press release I posted about 10 posts ago? Scroll down near the bottom for the HP and torque specs. HP is 436 @ 5900 and torque is 428 @ 4600.

HP always increases with RPM after the crossover point. It does on every one of my dyno charts, including the stock one, and on every dyno chart I've ever seen on this forum. Eventually they both drop and the torque drops first and fastest.

Here's an easy way to remember some results.
Oversteer is when the backend hits the wall.
Understeer is when the frontend hits the wall.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you push the wall after you hit it.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:23 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by cclive
I respectfully disagree with your interpretation of his question. He currently has 6th gear maxxed at about 300mph...it can't go that fast...we all know that. But that is the gear ratio that he currently has. He just wants a gear ratio for 6th that is lower such that 6,500 rpm is at 200 instead of 300. That equates to 3,250 at 100. This way no one will engage in telling him that he can't go 100. He just wants a different gear ratio, not to actually go 200.

dbratten's first chart (however he arrived at the ratios) was a perfect example to keep the RPM drops between the shifts in a good HP range for each subsequent gear. It just happens that when those ratios are used, the HP is available for a higher top speed. The ratios GM used were to meet MPG numbers at a lot lower speed.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

He could have also asked if he could re-gear the trans so that 6th gear was 1.00 to 1.00 and all the gears below it lowered to maintain a good overall spread. This would have avoided all the talk of being able to go 200.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by el es tu
The goal isnt to get the car to 200mph - thats just the max I want the gearing to get to - if the car makes it to 200mph then great...

The real goal is to regear it so all 6 gears are useful. For me the only purpose of the car is having fun driving it fast. Having 6 useful gears is more fun; plain and simple!

Here's his follow up post where he clearly says that his goal is not to get the car to go 200. He wants a gear ratio for 6th that gives an equivalent speed of 200 at redline. That's why I said that it's the same as asking to get a ratio that puts 3,250 rpm at 100... or 1,625 at 50 mph....how low do I need to go with this???
Old 01-31-2015, 04:51 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

dbratten's first chart (however he arrived at the ratios) was a perfect example to keep the RPM drops between the shifts in a good HP range for each subsequent gear. It just happens that when those ratios are used, the HP is available for a higher top speed. The ratios GM used were to meet MPG numbers at a lot lower speed.
I wish I had given this more thought but I simply and quickly adjusted the 6th gear ratio to yield a max possible 200 MPH speed. From there, I just set speed in gears for a even spacing and MPH that I find useful. I did not take the time to look at RPM drop with each shift which should yield slightly better performance. My only goal was to visualize what I felt the OP was asking. I'm surprised at what a "thing" this has become.

--Dan
Old 01-31-2015, 07:31 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Hal, you're confusing HP with torque. Remember the link about the press release I posted about 10 posts ago? Scroll down near the bottom for the HP and torque specs. HP is 436 @ 5900 and torque is 428 @ 4600.

HP always increases with RPM after the crossover point. It does on every one of my dyno charts, including the stock one, and on every dyno chart I've ever seen on this forum. Eventually they both drop and the torque drops first and fastest.

Here's an easy way to remember some results.
Oversteer is when the backend hits the wall.
Understeer is when the frontend hits the wall.
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you push the wall after you hit it.
You're right, I reversed the HP and TQ terms. TQ falls, HP increases after the crossover 5250RPM.

Still hold that the peak stock HP is not enough to support higher speeds with ANY gear changes. Top speed is aero limited and can only be increased by increasing HP.

Quick Reply: Regear the 6l80 (not the rear end)