C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 rear wobble at high speeds-PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:54 PM
TxRedC6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 rear wobble at high speeds-PLEASE HELP

Hey guys, I just purchased my 2008 C6 last Wednesday. Everything was good up until Monday when I actually started getting on it, Got on it 1st and 2nd are nice and smooth just until I start throwing in 3rd at around 90ish, it starts to sway from left to right really bad so I have no choice but let off. The car is fine if I feather it through the gears but only starts to death wobble at WOT. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, I'm taking it Saturday to get it checked out at the dealership but I'm not sure they'll be able to pin point the problem. I've looked through some threads to try and see if other people had the same problem and what solutions they did to solve it but people say different things, like rear alignment(rear toe), change shocks, bushings, tie rods, sway bar, etc... Until I read that some people fixed it by changing their tires, looks like everyone who has encountered this problem was with Michelin Pilot sports or super sports and that's what I have on the car. They are 295-30-19s. So please can someone help me out here guys? Anyone ran across this problem, if so what was your solution? Thanks in advance. Car is a manual, with 23,000 miles
Old 02-04-2015, 08:05 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have Michelin Super Sports with a 416" strocker, coilovers and Quaife with 3:73 gears and no wobble at 120+. The 120+ plus was on a track, not the local school zone.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:14 PM
TxRedC6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by timd38
I have Michelin Super Sports with a 416" strocker, coilovers and Quaife with 3:73 gears and no wobble at 120+. The 120+ plus was on a track, not the local school zone.

Nice bro, I bet she moves. The pulls I do are on a isolated road beside some old train tracks, its rare to see a car come down that road.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:16 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by TxRedC6
Nice bro, I bet she moves. The pulls I do are on a isolated road beside some old train tracks, its rare to see a car come down that road.
Can you swap tires with someone?
Old 02-04-2015, 08:43 PM
TxRedC6
Heel & Toe

I'm working on that, I'm going to a friends tire shop this weekend to see if he has any. If he ends up not having any then I might just buy a used set of different tires to see if that solves the problem.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:45 PM
TxRedC6
Heel & Toe

I'm going to take a look at my local Craigslist.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:15 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

What pressure are you running in your rear tires? I had this trouble at extremely low (16 to 18psi) tire pressures at the drag strip. Happened right after the 3-4 shift. Aired them up to upper 20's. Still there, but not as bad. Went home, got it aligned perfectly and it was still there.

After a little research, here and elsewhere, it's apparent, to me at least, that the Michelin PSS's don't like anything less than mid 30's for tire pressure. After airing mine up to this range, I've had no trouble at speeds up to 140. Hope yours is that simple. BTW: I'm using 345/19 rears along with 285/18 fronts on a 650rwhp Grand Sport.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:28 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I wonder if this is due to the soft tire compound.

I know from experience that when new rubber was put on the Peterbilt (meaning the 8 drive tires) it took a few thousand mile for the truck to stop squirming over the road. Now this was at much less speed and more predominate in the turns. Still it was discomforting to have the feeling that the truck wanted to roll over.

I am guessing the tires need to harden a bit with wear or as suggested they just require a higher psi.. I could be way off base here but it is what comes to mind.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:15 PM
TxRedC6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by old motorhead
What pressure are you running in your rear tires? I had this trouble at extremely low (16 to 18psi) tire pressures at the drag strip. Happened right after the 3-4 shift. Aired them up to upper 20's. Still there, but not as bad. Went home, got it aligned perfectly and it was still there.

After a little research, here and elsewhere, it's apparent, to me at least, that the Michelin PSS's don't like anything less than mid 30's for tire pressure. After airing mine up to this range, I've had no trouble at speeds up to 140. Hope yours is that simple. BTW: I'm using 345/19 rears along with 285/18 fronts on a 650rwhp Grand Sport.

Left tire pressure is 32 PSI and right it 31 PSI. I'm going to play with the pressure tomorrow after work and hopefully it helps a bit. Might be forced to buy a used set of Pirelli's this weekend to see if the tires are the problem.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:20 PM
TxRedC6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I wonder if this is due to the soft tire compound.

I know from experience that when new rubber was put on the Peterbilt (meaning the 8 drive tires) it took a few thousand mile for the truck to stop squirming over the road. Now this was at much less speed and more predominate in the turns. Still it was discomforting to have the feeling that the truck wanted to roll over.

I am guessing the tires need to harden a bit with wear or as suggested they just require a higher psi.. I could be way off base here but it is what comes to mind.

I'm not sure what the problem is, hopefully it is just the tire pressure or tires because this problem is driving me butts. When I got the car I was like yes finally I get my first corvette after trading in my 13 GT 5.0 but then this problem came up . Hopefully I didn't get a lemon
Old 02-05-2015, 09:57 PM
tarik916
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip! I had the same issue with my PSS's at the track after dropping the pressure to 26. My active handling kicked in from 2-3 shift until the end of the track and the rear was dipping left and right.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:32 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TxRedC6
Hey guys, I just purchased my 2008 C6 last Wednesday. Everything was good up until Monday when I actually started getting on it, Got on it 1st and 2nd are nice and smooth just until I start throwing in 3rd at around 90ish, it starts to sway from left to right really bad so I have no choice but let off. The car is fine if I feather it through the gears but only starts to death wobble at WOT. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, I'm taking it Saturday to get it checked out at the dealership but I'm not sure they'll be able to pin point the problem. I've looked through some threads to try and see if other people had the same problem and what solutions they did to solve it but people say different things, like rear alignment(rear toe), change shocks, bushings, tie rods, sway bar, etc... Until I read that some people fixed it by changing their tires, looks like everyone who has encountered this problem was with Michelin Pilot sports or super sports and that's what I have on the car. They are 295-30-19s. So please can someone help me out here guys? Anyone ran across this problem, if so what was your solution? Thanks in advance. Car is a manual, with 23,000 miles
Are you sure of the size? 295/30/19 is undersized for a stock '08. What size front tire? A mismatch between front and rear sizes can cause A/H or T/C problems that will be magnified by speed.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Might be on to something here..
Old 02-06-2015, 10:41 PM
TxRedC6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by haljensen
Are you sure of the size? 295/30/19 is undersized for a stock '08. What size front tire? A mismatch between front and rear sizes can cause A/H or T/C problems that will be magnified by speed.

You have a great point. Front are 265 35 18, rear are 295 30 19 and the car came with the tires
Old 02-06-2015, 11:56 PM
Wakemaker89
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could it have something to do with the road? Have you noticed the wobble anywhere else or only at this location?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:10 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

This problem is almost always either alignment or tires. Shocks, air pressure are not the cause. Keep us posted.............. But I'll take that back and say that under certain circumstances shocks, if really blown out may contribute to this issue.

Last edited by meanjoe; 02-09-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:13 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by meanjoe
This problem is almost always either alignment or tires. Shocks, air pressure are not the cause. Keep us posted
Airing mine up to 35psi fixed it for me. This is on a 2013 Vette with less than 5K miles, fresh alignment, and almost new Michelin PSS tires. It's fairly easy and cheap to add a little air and make sure that's not the issue.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 rear wobble at high speeds-PLEASE HELP

Old 02-07-2015, 11:23 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

OP, if your car is a base model, the rear tires are too large. They should be 285's. The other issue may be both rear alignment and tire pressure. I run Michelin PSS's on my GS and have had no problems with them including several hpde's. They like higher pressures than the 30/30 on the door, mine seem to like 35/32 though the tire installer said Michelin recommended 37/35. I found 37 to be too much, they heat up enough to get to 42 and the DIC starts an over pressure warning.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:26 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
OP, if your car is a base model, the rear tires are too large. They should be 285's. The other issue may be both rear alignment and tire pressure. I run Michelin PSS's on my GS and have had no problems with them including several hpde's. They like higher pressures than the 30/30 on the door, mine seem to like 35/32 though the tire installer said Michelin recommended 37/35. I found 37 to be too much, they heat up enough to get to 42 and the DIC starts an over pressure warning.
While those tires are wider, they're more than a half inch shorter than the stockers. As far as the Vette's brain is concerned, width doesn't matter. Height (revolutions per mile) does. A shorter rear tire running with a stock size front tire can fool the PCM into thinking there's rear tire slip going on. Traction control can put a halt to the party. Not sure what it does to active handling.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:36 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Airing mine up to 35psi fixed it for me. This is on a 2013 Vette with less than 5K miles, fresh alignment, and almost new Michelin PSS tires. It's fairly easy and cheap to add a little air and make sure that's not the issue.
If jacking up the air pressure that much higher than it's supposed to be fixes this then you must have other problems you don't know about. If at 35 PSI cold you'd be 40 PSI plus hot and that's not even safe. The tire manufacturers recommend a max cold pressure at max load because the same tire can be used on several different cars, so the car maker will always suggest the tire pressure. That's why it's on the inside of the door on every car made.

Quick Reply: C6 rear wobble at high speeds-PLEASE HELP