C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zinc plated Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:21 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Default Zinc plated Rotors

I just ordered a set of Zinc Plated Rotors and Ceramic Pads from Brakemotive for my 08 Z51. My OEM rotors have that Custom Rust line around the Center of the Rotor. For those who know.....should I paint the center now or will the Zinc plating keep the rust away?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:30 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ls1121
I just ordered a set of Zinc Plated Rotors and Ceramic Pads from Brakemotive for my 08 Z51. My OEM rotors have that Custom Rust line around the Center of the Rotor. For those who know.....should I paint the center now or will the Zinc plating keep the rust away?
The zinc eventually will corrode to form a dull chalky appearance about the time the rest of the car falls apart. (aka a long time) A type III clear chromate finish will retard that corrosion and most likely was part of the process specified. In the meantime, you'll have no rust on any covered area. The zinc is much softer than the cast iron, so it'll go away quickly in the pad contact area. Normal thickness is .0003-.0005". I'd suggest using your old pads initially to wear off the first bit and avoid contaminating the new pads. It won't take many stops to do that. If you bevel the edges of the old pads first, it'll assure the zinc removed is smaller than the new pad swept area.

You'll gonna like it.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:10 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

cool.... I was hoping that was how it is. I can't wait till they get here. I got a Great deal.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:22 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One track day on them and the rust just like every other rotor. If you want good looking centers get two piece rotors. Heat kills the coating and then they rust.

Just my experience.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:40 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by timd38
One track day on them and the rust just like every other rotor. If you want good looking centers get two piece rotors. Heat kills the coating and then they rust.

Just my experience.
I doubt he's tracking the car with those ceramic pads he bought.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:31 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I doubt he's tracking the car with those ceramic pads he bought.
LOL no my track is I-85. I might go to a charity event maybe.

I'm just tired of looking at rust on my Beautiful Corvette. It's kinda like looking out a window at a Beautiful landscape with sunshine, flowers and a field of green grass with a pile of cow **** right in the middle of the picture.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:33 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by timd38

Just my experience.
For how I drive my Corvette those two piece Rotors would be a huge waste of good money, but thanx for the heads up.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:32 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Very interested in what you get. I just received my rotor from brake motive last week. The front and rear rotors have two different sized holes. Not even close. Looks terrible and they agree that they don't look right but that is the way they are made now. I will not put them on my car. Front holes are 1/2 the size as the rear. They said they checked their warehouse and all Z51 rotors are like mine. Please let me know what you get when they arrive. My are just sitting here waiting for an answer on how to return a 100# package for a full refund.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:31 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Very interested in what you get. I just received my rotor from brake motive last week. The front and rear rotors have two different sized holes. Not even close. Looks terrible and they agree that they don't look right but that is the way they are made now. I will not put them on my car. Front holes are 1/2 the size as the rear. They said they checked their warehouse and all Z51 rotors are like mine. Please let me know what you get when they arrive. My are just sitting here waiting for an answer on how to return a 100# package for a full refund.
If it were me I would send them pictures of your rotors and of what they sent you to show them they sent the wrong part and have them pay the return shipping.

can you post up some pictures here also?
Old 02-15-2015, 12:15 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I took the precaution of painting before use.

Although surrounded with salt air 24/7 in the middle of the Pacific. Other then the brake wear path gets rusted when wet, no problem with the rest of the F/R DBA rotors.

I don't race but do like my front two piece DBAs in all respects:

Aloha!
Old 02-15-2015, 12:37 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

They have already viewed the photos and have actually admitted that "something is not right". They have gone through their entire stock of Z51 rotors and claim that they are all like this. The fronts are the rotors with the small holes. They are the right part but the holes do not match front to rear. They claim they will give me a refund if we cannot fix the problem but so far, seven days in, four phone calls, three "I will call you early tomorrow's" that never happened and two unanswered e mails and I am still waiting. The person I talk to is very nice and understanding when I call her. She does not respond to e mails and has not called back in the three time she has said she would call me. They think there was a machining error and she said she was waiting for instructions from her Tech guy. I will be on the phone again on Monday.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:03 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

They have already viewed the photos and have actually admitted that "something is not right". They have gone through their entire stock of Z51 rotors and claim that they are all like this. The fronts are the rotors with the small holes. They are the right part but the holes do not match front to rear. They claim they will give me a refund if we cannot fix the problem but so far, seven days in, four phone calls, three "I will call you early tomorrow's" that never happened and two unanswered e mails and I am still waiting. The person I talk to is very nice and understanding when I call her. She does not respond to e mails and has not called back in the three time she has said she would call me. They think there was a machining error and she said she was waiting for instructions from her Tech guy. I will be on the phone again on Monday.
Really??

You wouldn't think putting both rotors on the "Front Driver Side" would cause so much of a problem.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 02-15-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:55 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would paint them like victorf recommended. That coating isn't as good as the hype.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:00 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Just curious,,, if you're going to paint them why did you bother with zinc plated? You can paint a steel rotor just the same, for less money, and the paint will last just as long....
Old 02-15-2015, 04:22 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jbondfl
Just curious,,, if you're going to paint them why did you bother with zinc plated? You can paint a steel rotor just the same, for less money, and the paint will last just as long....
Exactly!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:26 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Really??

You wouldn't think putting both rotors on the "Front Driver Side" would cause so much of a problem.
The rotor on the right is a rear rotor. They put the wrong stickers on them (so they say). Both front and rear rotors are the right size for the Z51. The only problem is the hole sizes, but that is enough for me to not use them. Powder coated calipers and five spoke wheels make the area pretty exposed and what they sent me is not acceptable. Function should be fine but I am not using them this way. Really curious what the OP gets. If they are telling me the truth, he should get exactly what I show in the photos. They claim they are all exactly like mine.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 02-15-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:53 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

The rotor on the right is a rear rotor. They put the wrong stickers on them (so they say). Both front and rear rotors are the right size for the Z51. The only problem is the hole sizes, but that is enough for me to not use them. Powder coated calipers and five spoke wheels make the area pretty exposed and what they sent me is not acceptable. Function should be fine but I am not using them this way. Really curious what the OP gets. If they are telling me the truth, he should get exactly what I show in the photos. They claim they are all exactly like mine.
I was kidding about the stickers both marked the same.

I'm guessing the guy that did the drilling couldn't tell the difference between a 5/32 drill bit and a 5/16.
Just get a quote from a local machine shop to get the fronts opened up to match the rears. Then double the amount (for your hassle) and offer that as an acceptable settlement.

Get notified of new replies

To Zinc plated Rotors

Old 02-15-2015, 10:14 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

I know we all have things we are OCD about but let me offer another opinion.

Perhaps the hole size is an issue to you because you're comparing the rotors right next to each other. Once they're behind the wheels and calipers and 10 feet apart, I doubt anyone would even notice or care. But I realize that's no consolation if they're really bothering you. If you can get them replaced/refunded, go for it.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

I have gone back and forth a couple of times about just installing them. Nobody would notice but me but I know it will bother me. Never thought about having a machine shop enlarge the holes. That is another option. I will be calling Brakemotive again tomorrow and am still curious what the OP gets in the mail this week.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:24 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I have gone back and forth a couple of times about just installing them. Nobody would notice but me but I know it will bother me. Never thought about having a machine shop enlarge the holes. That is another option. I will be calling Brakemotive again tomorrow and am still curious what the OP gets in the mail this week.
yea me too lol.

my question would be...... are the holes drilled first then they are coated?

Last edited by ls1121; 02-15-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Zinc plated Rotors