C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 manual tranny spinning noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 05:55 PM
presvt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 manual tranny spinning noise

So this may be the same common noise, but I did not find anything that was specific to the noise I hear. Just bought a 2011 c6 coupe, 11k miles. When leaving an intersection, after 1st gear is engaged ( ie you are rolling and clutch fully released), I hear a spinning noise for the first few seconds. Usually is gone by the time I cross the intersection. Sounds like if you had a loose ring on a rod and spun the ring. Is this normal and what people refer to the marbles in the can? Clutch engages fine, no squeals or grinding shifting gears.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:18 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Mine has sounded like marbles rolling around in a can from day 1. Not sure if yours is the same but mine is a common complaint. It helps to leave with more rpm.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:31 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

sorry can't help, my 06 is dead quiet and after a broken pin{kept me from going in reverse} the dealer replaced the tranny with a 07 still no "marbles in a can"
Old 05-30-2015, 01:49 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by presvt
So this may be the same common noise, but I did not find anything that was specific to the noise I hear. Just bought a 2011 c6 coupe, 11k miles. When leaving an intersection, after 1st gear is engaged ( ie you are rolling and clutch fully released), I hear a spinning noise for the first few seconds. Usually is gone by the time I cross the intersection. Sounds like if you had a loose ring on a rod and spun the ring. Is this normal and what people refer to the marbles in the can? Clutch engages fine, no squeals or grinding shifting gears.
The "marble in the can" is also referred to as "Gear Rollover". The tolerances in the transmission gears are taken up when you are leaving from a stop sign, thus "marbles in a can sound". This is normal and there was GM service bulletin released years ago about this condition. I had this since my car was new and the dealer said it is "normal". I had the fluid changed out and no difference. Recently, I had a new mantic dual disc clutch kit installed which included flywheel, pressure plate, clutch discs, slave cylinder/throw out bearing, new bolts and a new pilot bushing. The torque tube bearings were inspected and fine. Currently, with 66k miles and no transmission issues, the "marbles in the can" is still there.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 06-05-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:41 PM
cheetah45
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

All of my manual transmissioned cars/trucks that I have had in the last 25 years have had gear rollover noise and that include my C5Z and my C6 Base. Some were worse than others. Don't lose sleep...enjoy the ride.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:38 PM
fevest
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2002 c5 with the same noise. I now have a 2012, only 3500 miles when I picked it up. Same noise. The 2002 had 97k miles and no issues and always made the noise.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 manual tranny spinning noise

Quick Reply: C6 manual tranny spinning noise