C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many HP gain with this

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 07:32 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Rape Ape

Does this guy look like he would hurt you?

NOT RAPE

A little humor is good for the soul

Last edited by secrt0007agt; 06-03-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Umbra
I'm very confused and don't understand the majority words said on the post for my english level, especially abbreviations words of mechanic parts. I try to understand something...

For the sound no problem, i like the B&B PRT exhaust, this i understand and no problem for install mechanics here.

But apart, i want HorsePower, what is the best way to increase power/horsepower ?.

The air intake it's not dangerous to install and no dangerous for engine? ( this needs a gadget tune ? )

What is exactly the "tune"?, the tune is the machine similar a smartphone? it's difficult to use or dangerous?, this device really give HP?. I see this gadget is in english, i see videos but don't understand the exactly use of that.

I stay more then 1 year TRY the mode of gain HP, and for moment all is confused and i dont know what piece buy!

Please, anyone can copy the link of the mod can buy for add HP, or say me the excatly way to use a "tune". Diablo sport is good?.

Sorry for the questions and sorry for my english level, i try as best i can..

Help me, please. Thank you !.

PS: Si alguien de Miami o donde sea que hable Español pudiera ayudarme de una vez por todas en decirme que comprar/hacer para ganar horsepower de una forma no perjudicial para el motor que me envie un mensaje privado, porfavor, le estaría muy agradecido, yo no me aclaro...
Long Tube Headers, a True COLD AIR INTAKE like the VARARAM, and a lower temperature coolant thermostat are the basic easy bolt on HP modifications.

Your engines Electronic Control Unit (ECU) has an operating system that was programmed by GM and was designed to efficiently operate your engine and meet all emission requirements.

When you change ANYTHING between the Catalytic Converters and the Mass Air Flow Sensor, it alters the way the engine operates and the ECU can not properly manage your engine properly/efficiency. You will gain some HP but the engine may operate very rich or lean. Either way, it will NOT be operating efficiently and not gain all the HP that the parts you installed have to offer.

Thats where a good TUNER comes into the picture. The TUNER uses his skills and and professional tuning equipment to recalibrate all the parameters in the ECU that need adjustment. Some of those are:

Spark Timing
Mass Air Flow Meter recalibration (MAF)
Volumetric Efficiency Table (VE) recalibration
Power Enrichment Air Fuel Ratio adjustment
There are many more tables that would require adjustment (especially if you have an A4 Transmission)

One way to achieve those ECU changes would be to pull the ECU out of the car and send it to a tuner for a MAIL ORDER TUNE.

Some Tuners have tuning devices that will allow you to plug them into the OBD2 port (under your dash) and up-load a complete tune into the computer and then DATA LOG the computer and send that information back to the tuner as a FILE in an E-Mail and then the tuner makes the necessary changes to fine tune the parameters in the ECU to manage the engine better.

Chuck has the EFI Live Auto Cal that you can use to tune in place...

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 06-03-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:54 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Long Tube Headers, a True COLD AIR INTAKE like the VARARAM, and a lower temperature coolant thermostat are the basic easy bolt on HP modifications.

Your engines Electronic Control Unit (ECU) has an operating system that was programmed by GM and was designed to efficiently operate your engine and meet all emission requirements.

When you change ANYTHING between the Catalytic Converters and the Mass Air Flow Sensor, it alters the way the engine operates and the ECU can not properly manage your engine properly/efficiency. You will gain some HP but the engine may operate very rich or lean. Either way, it will NOT be operating efficiently and not gain all the HP that the parts you installed have to offer.

Thats where a good TUNER comes into the picture. The TUNER uses his skills and and professional tuning equipment to recalibrate all the parameters in the ECU that need adjustment. Some of those are:

Spark Timing
Mass Air Flow Meter recalibration (MAF)
Volumetric Efficiency Table (VE) recalibration
Power Enrichment Air Fuel Ratio adjustment
There are many more tables that would require adjustment (especially if you have an A4 Transmission)

One way to achieve those ECU changes would be to pull the ECU out of the car and send it to a tuner for a MAIL ORDER TUNE.

Some Tuners have tuning devices that will allow you to plug them into the OBD2 port (under your dash) and up-load a complete tune into the computer and then DATA LOG the computer and send that information back to the tuner as a FILE in an E-Mail and then the tuner makes the necessary changes to fine tune the parameters in the ECU to manage the engine better.

Chuck has the EFI Live Auto Cal that you can use to tune in place...

Bill
Very well laid out for the OP as he is from Spain and is very limited on his English.... Finally someone actually gets to the point for the OP....

Nice job....
Old 06-03-2015, 09:58 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Not sure if this helps but this is translation of Bills post to Spanish from google translator

Encabezados tubo largo y un Verdadero ADMISION DE AIRE FRÍO como el VARARAM, y un termostato de temperatura del refrigerante inferior son el perno fácil básica sobre modificaciones HP.

Sus motores de la Unidad de Control Electrónico (ECU) tiene un sistema operativo que fue programado por GM y fue diseñado para operar de manera eficiente su motor y cumplir con todos los requisitos de emisión.

Cuando cambia nada entre los convertidores catalíticos y la Misa del sensor de flujo de aire, que altera la forma en que opera el motor y la ECU no puede gestionar correctamente su motor correctamente / eficiencia. Va a ganar un poco de HP pero el motor puede funcionar muy rica o pobre. De cualquier manera, no va a estar operando de manera eficiente y no ganar todo el HP que las piezas instaladas tienen que ofrecer.

Ahí es donde un buen sintonizador entra en escena. El sintonizador utiliza sus habilidades y equipamiento tuning y profesional para recalibrar todos los parámetros de la ECU que necesitan ajuste. Algunos de ellos son:

Timing Spark
La masa de aire Medidor de flujo recalibración (MAF)
Tabla Eficiencia volumétrica (VE) recalibración
Ajuste Power Ratio Enriquecimiento Aire Combustible
Hay muchas más tablas que requerirían un ajuste (especialmente si usted tiene un A4 Transmisión)

Una forma de lograr esos cambios ECU sería para tirar de la ECU del coche y enviarlo a un sintonizador para una melodía CORREO.

Algunos sintonizadores tienen dispositivos de ajuste que le permitirá conectar ellas en el puerto OBD2 (bajo el salpicadero) y hasta-cargar una canción completa en el ordenador y luego los datos de registro del ordenador y enviar esa información al sintonizador como un archivo en un E-Mail y luego el sintonizador hace los cambios necesarios para ajustar los parámetros de la ECU para gestionar el motor mejor.

Chuck tiene la EFI vivo Auto Cal que se puede utilizar para ajustar en su lugar ...
Old 06-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Very well laid out for the OP as he is from Spain and is very limited on his English.... Finally someone actually gets to the point for the OP....

Nice job....
Thank you!! And THANK YOU for the translation! Excellent work.

I felt bad that I rambled in his post about me and didn't provide any tangible input.

Hey,, I work with young sailors all day. BASIC COMMUNICATION is the KEY to success!
Old 06-04-2015, 01:47 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

As I have said, I don't know you, never had a beef with you. My bad experience with a certain vendor prompted me contributing some simple advice to the OP.

You came in, unprovoked and started these condescending/degrading/disrespectful postings:

Originally Posted by secrt0007agt
I would really beware of folks that seem to have a lot of opinions and knowledge, when they apparently have been driving too much with their top down causing deranged sun damage to their crowns.

Also beware of those "Google" groupies who live by the words of persons who whole-heartedly believe what is spit out by those who wish to try to damage a persons reputation without warrant. I would also advise to check dates of input from these Google geniuses and perhaps even "Google" the Googlers, if you can believe their identities are correct.

Getting back to some subject matter, don't be afraid of well established "tuners", but as the man said, check them out, there are good ones and some not so good ones out there.

I personally have had a ECS prepared Vette that was put together pretty darn good. I have also had experience dealing with one of the best tuners in the country (and out) and he not only tuned my current C6 perfectly, but he took the time (a lot of time) to solve some serious drivability issues related to a performance fuel system that was installed incorrectly. This guy not only got the car running perfectly, but provided me with a list of things that needed to be corrected with my fuel system. This all was done after my diligent search for someone who first could speak with some intelligence about my issues, and then was able to explain to me what needed to be corrected, when initially, I could find anyone that had any idea how the damn fuel system worked! I am here to tell you that Chuck Cow of Corvettes of Westchester knows his stuff, and regardless of what some old "Googles" from persons with vendetta's utter, look to those of us who here on the forum have worked with Chuck, and are familiar with his talents and expertise.

So my opinion on this subject after owning, restoring, tweaking and fix'in up seven Corvettes over the years, is have fun doing it, do your homework, don't take Mr. Google's information as righteous and look carefully on the forum for some good information from some really knowledgeable people on here. Go beyond those loudmouths that just wish to criticize and be negative.
Sorry to those who hail from those sun drenched areas, I was targeting the guy with the obviously deranged opinion of one of the forums best and foremost auto tuners.
Does this guy look like he would hurt you?

NOT RAPE

A little humor is good for the soul
Is that the best you can come up with?

Picking on spelling! Maybe next is my poor language? I still think and fluent in another language - can you?

After reading 9 pages of threads you started - getting to know you - other than the buy & sell - it seems you have more questions than answers!!!

Your claims of multiple car ownership: Where are the DIYs or constructive problem solving inputs for the Corvette Community???

Go ahead. Get into some of the post I have started - Maybe you still come away with "Nothing" - since you owned so many corvettes and other cars - you know everything - right?? With all those ownership experiences - wonder - why you would even need help from the Westchester shop!

This sound familiar?: one who knows the least, often, speaks the loudest!
Old 06-04-2015, 02:05 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Originally Posted by victorf
As I have said, I don't know you, never had a beef with you. My bad experience with a certain vendor prompted me contributing some simple advice to the OP.

You came in, unprovoked and started these condescending/degrading/disrespectful postings:

Is that the best you can come up with?

Picking on spelling! Maybe next is my poor language? I still think and fluent in another language - can you?

After reading 9 pages of threads you started - getting to know you - other than the buy & sell - it seems you have more questions than answers!!!

Your claims of multiple car ownership: Where are the DIYs or constructive problem solving inputs for the Corvette Community???

Go ahead. Get into some of the post I have started - Maybe you still come away with "Nothing" - since you owned so many corvettes and other cars - you know everything - right?? With all those ownership experiences - wonder - why you would even need help from the Westchester shop!

This sound familiar?: one who knows the least, often, speaks the loudest!
You 2 should just move on and stop trashing this thread.... if you want to hash it out go to private pms, but this isn't helping the OP at all.......Just sayin....
Old 06-04-2015, 02:11 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Well, actually it may be helping the OP. After all, just like some inexpensive headers, it's good to know if they work or don't, if there are issues with them or not, etc. That's why it's a forum and not an advertisement where only one POV is presented. Right?
Old 06-04-2015, 02:18 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default I agree with you....

You 2 should just move on and stop trashing this thread.... if you want to hash it out go to private pms, but this isn't helping the OP at all.......Just sayin....
I agree with you....But Mr. Fong sees fit (despite overwhelming positive support for me) to take every opportunity

to disrupt this and many other threads with his misguided rants about me.

Victor.... I (and many others) are quite sick hearing about all of YOUR credentials and accomplishment in the corvette world.

I especially am quite sick of your (very) petty frequent and unprovoked jabs and attacks on my skills, business, tuning, and character.

You seem outnumbered here and my advice is SHUT UP, GO AWAY, and find another forum where you can go and talk about

how much you know and how amazing you are....

Unless that is you want to pay a sponsorship fee here and then you can talk about yourself all you want.

The OP made no mentions of me, so neither should you.

Take a hike pal...
Chuck CoW
Old 06-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I tune my own car, and have for 8 years. I met Chuck at SEMA via a mutual friend, and I have to say, the Chuck you speak to in person or over the phone is NOT the Chuck I'd envisioned via reading his posts.

All due respect Chuck. And he will admit we've had conversations about this. Chuck and I openly disagree about his marketing. We do not disagree about his skills. Chuck thinks he's good at tuning. I think he is too.

One good thing about Chuck. Become his customer and see what you think about his customer service. The Chuck you speak to will surprise you by how much he cares to help you with your car. If you don't like it, he'll give you your money back. Really doesn't get much better than that. On that issue the someone keeps bringing up from 8 years ago, there are two sides to that story, just like all stories. You only read one side online.

The COW Booster gave me the throttle response I could not tune in myself even after HP Tuners opened up the throttle rate table. It flat out works. I highly recommend it.

BTW those that have been on this forum a while know that Bill Curlee deserves great respect for all the help he's given us over the years. He is the king of getting (unfortunately for him) and solving (fortunately for us, as he posts the solution) electrical problems. I think he sprinkles salt water on his car!

ENOUGH ABOUT CHUCK WHO WASN'T EVEN INVOLVED IN THE OP'S QUESTION.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Default And now, back to the question at hand:

UMBRA, to answer your original question:

Long tube headers will give you 35 RWHP pretty much guaranteed. You SHOULD tune your car after you install them, but you don HAVE to. You can run your car with the stock tune and it will be just fine, but it won't be optimized for the headers. It will be running richer than most tuners will make it, but it won't hurt anything and you WILL feel the performance increase.

You will get a check engine light (PO420-430) because the high flow catalytic converters will not be efficient enough to satisfy the computer's test. There are reports that if you install "Spark Plug Anti-Foulers" in your rear oxygen sensors that they will place them far enough out of the exhaust stream that their reduced sensitivity will pass the computer tests. It's very inexpensive to try. A tuner will disable the cat efficiency test as part of their tune so you wouldn't need the anti-foulers.

You might like this thread I put together, overlaying all of my mods from headers up to heads and cam on one dyno sheet with track results.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ast-heads.html

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Decided yesterday to overlay all my mods since I've self tuned and dyno'ed each time I did major mods.

I found it interesting and thought I'd share.

See below. Each line represents progressive mods:
1. stock;
2. headers & tune (3.90 gears at same time);
3. G5x3 cam & .040 gaskets (11.4 compression);
4. FAST, and
5. used AFR 205 heads.

What strikes me is how dramatic the gains from headers and a tune were. Combined with the gears, it felt like a different car, and I got a full second + 10 mph in the 1/4 from those mods, from 12.9@108 to 11.8@118. The car was dead nuts reliable at this level.

The second take away is how all the remaining mods really only mattered from 4500 on. Thus I very seldom notice them on the street, only on the track. Not counting the cool sound of the cam.

Mods 3-5 did take off another second and added 10 mph - to 10.8@128. But it cost a lot more and I broke a diff and two transmissions on my way.

This graph shows what I've been saying for while; headers, tune and gears give you by far the best bang for the buck from idle to redline, the remaining mods only matter from 4500 on. Most street driving is below 3000 rpm...you do feel gears and headers even at that level.

Hope someone finds this useful as they decide upon mods.

Another item Tommy kindly reminded me of, is weight reduction.

If you are drag racing, you can expect .1 to .15 from putting skinny tires up front (saving 50 lbs+ of rotating weight) and taking out your passenger seat (53 lbs).

By the way, If you don't race on the track but want your car to feel 10 times quicker for a very low price, look into the cow booster. Here is my review of that mod. After two years I'm still not used to the snappy throttle response my car has with it. It feels so quick just cruising around town, it's a great mod.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-buck-mod.html
Old 06-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
UMBRA, to answer your original question:

Long tube headers will give you 35 RWHP pretty much guaranteed. You SHOULD tune your car after you install them, but you don HAVE to. You can run your car with the stock tune and it will be just fine, but it won't be optimized for the headers. It will be running richer than most tuners will make it, but it won't hurt anything and you WILL feel the performance increase.

You will get a check engine light (PO420-430) because the high flow catalytic converters will not be efficient enough to satisfy the computer's test. There are reports that if you install "Spark Plug Anti-Foulers" in your rear oxygen sensors that they will place them far enough out of the exhaust stream that their reduced sensitivity will pass the computer tests. It's very inexpensive to try. A tuner will disable the cat efficiency test as part of their tune so you wouldn't need the anti-foulers.

You might like this thread I put together, overlaying all of my mods from headers up to heads and cam on one dyno sheet with track results.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ast-heads.html
Old 06-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

And another thought UMBRA, before you buy headers, you should look into your local inspection laws. In many states long tube headers will not pass a visual inspection and if you don't have a visual inspection (which is rare) even with catalytic converters, the long tube headers may not pass a sniffer test.

So be sure and find out your local inspection laws before you do any mods.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:27 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I have had 2 C6 Corvettes tuned by Chuck and both have been great tunes.

1st was an A6, the tune is worth it for the auto even with a stock engine.

2nd is my daily street driven track car C6Z with cam, headers, heads, intake ext and its a fantastic monster. No one can believe how smooth the car can be on the street with the cam I have, then how much vicious power you can unleash.

I really believe a tuner needs to have tuned hundreds of cars and had that years of feedback to know where the tune should start, especially on a modified car.

IMHO A dyno tune is just a rough starting point multiple data logs "with wideband on a modified car" are needed to refine to the point of being perfect.

Chuck is one of few guys that have the experience and database to accomplish great remote tunes on our cars.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4TMhA5A7hzo
Old 06-04-2015, 04:50 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thanks Matt!

Thanks Matt! Great video of our 180 MPH MAIL ORDER TUNE!

Chuck CoW

Last edited by Chuck CoW; 06-04-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:50 PM
victorf
Drifting

I will take your suggestion. Thank you!

Originally Posted by AORoads
Well, actually it may be helping the OP. After all, just like some inexpensive headers, it's good to know if they work or don't, if there are issues with them or not, etc. That's why it's a forum and not an advertisement where only one POV is presented. Right?
I agree it may help when it is read between the lines!

If he read, I, among others here on the forum, - the thread that was directed at the colorful vendor from Upstate N.Y. having poor after sale supports in the recent past - started last week.

***I saw it got locked!! It is now vanished and last I checked, not even in the Feedback Sub Forum!!***

This thread is still alive, because POV has not yet got to the boiling point, maybe!?

My point stays the same, OP, gotta do your diligence in research, before plugging in the few hundred bucks in hope of a magic boost to your ride, which cost many times over the cost of an inexpensive tune - having the potential of a time bomb!

Last edited by victorf; 06-05-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:59 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by victorf
I will take your suggestion. Thank you!

I agree it may help when it is read between the lines!

If he read, I, among others here on the forum, - the thread that was directed at the colorful vendor from Upstate N.Y. having poor after sale supports in the recent past - started last week.

***I saw it got locked!! It is now vanished and last I checked, not even in the Feedback Sub Forum!!***

This thread is still alive, because POV has not yet got to the boiling point, maybe!?

My point stays the same, OP, gotta do your diligence in research, before plugging in the few hundred bucks in hope of a magic boost to your ride, which cost many times over the cost of an inexpensive tune - having the potential of a time bomb!

Get notified of new replies

To How many HP gain with this

Old 06-05-2015, 04:22 PM
victorf
Drifting

Since you called me out!

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW
I agree with you....But Mr. Fong sees fit (despite overwhelming positive support for me) to take every opportunity

to disrupt this and many other threads with his misguided rants about me. My feel for you as misguided, well, I highly dispute that based on the "tune" I got from you!

Victor.... I (and many others) are quite sick hearing about all of YOUR credentials and accomplishment in the corvette world.

I made no claims of my accomplishment in the corvette world - other than, if you based on my few homemade DIYs or simple 4:10 rear end change out.

I especially am quite sick of your (very) petty frequent and unprovoked jabs and attacks on my skills, business, tuning, and character.

Character!? Aah....where should I begin?

You seem outnumbered here and my advice is SHUT UP, GO AWAY, and find another forum where you can go and talk about

how much you know and how amazing you are....

Outnumbered, with the few that favored you here, on this thread?

Do us all a favor! Link me to and for all others to see when did I "ever" exaggerated on how much I know or how amazing I am! If you count those simple DIYs or simple homemade projects to share with interested members?

Unless that is you want to pay a sponsorship fee here and then you can talk about yourself all you want. Many others and I are well aware, you are a paid vendor and how well/often you take advantage of that fact with unfavorable threads relating to you!

The OP made no mentions of me, so neither should you.

Take a hike pal...
Chuck CoW
I am not your pal!
Old 06-12-2015, 04:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

UMBRA

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Have you decided what you want to do? Did this post help you??

Please let us know.

BC
Old 06-15-2015, 11:18 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Umbra
Hello, my model of Vette is LS2 M6 coupe 2006. ALL STOCK.

¿ How many horsepower can gain with only this mod without tune ? https://www.lgmotorsports.com/lg-mot...e-headers.html

¿ And are these headers compatible together with B&B PRT exhaust ??.

I'm from Spain and here the mechanics don't have any idea of accessories/mods on this cars... But i hope to install any mod someday in a life in this country... I'm thinking on headars and this B&B with good sound...

Thank you experts!.
I would call LG and ask them. They are honest and can give good advice on their products.

Good luck, 2k (an old Alonso fan)

Quick Reply: How many HP gain with this