C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/4 Mile Noob here!

Old 11-27-2015, 10:47 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by HardcoreABN
wow, a TON of good info in here! Going to have to read it a few times to really digest it, as I really wasn't understanding what I was seeing in the graphs and such.
Thanks, the graphs are from passes that were Data logged using HP tuners (software) using a laptop. works great to see what EXACTLY you are doing so that you have a better idea of how the car and you are reacting. Great investment indeed. Can't improve without seeing your short comings.

I have gotten some great help on my quest for a 10.....and with a 10.35 under my belt I not did far better than I had hoped for initially....I got hooked and now gunning for a 9.9x The cars parked for the Canadian winter ahead but my brain is a turning and ideas are flowing to make some adjustments to align myself up for that new goal. Staying N/A and Manual of course

Old 11-27-2015, 11:09 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

James here's why I referred him over... it's fun to see a guy make great strides like you did. He's set a big goal for himself which is very cool.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...to-10s-na.html

and

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ns-record.html
The following users liked this post:
rpmextra (11-27-2015)
Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
James here's why I referred him over... it's fun to see a guy make great strides like you did. He's set a big goal for himself which is very cool.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...to-10s-na.html

and

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ns-record.html
Not sure I quite follow. Are you going to stay N/A or using the 100 shot. Are you hoping to chase robZ 9.33 N/A or with a power adder. that's a tall order and driving get's real technical at that level. Everything thing better be just right. I haven't personal seen gary or rob go but I have become close friends with Sebast19x (seb) and watching him at the track for a whole day made me realize just how different of a playing ground the Top Tier guys are. Seb is the fastest N/A manual Z06 as he just posted his new Best time "finally" lol I was there 2 months ago with a 9.61@144.68 It's takes far more than $$ and HP as that will only get you so far. It's a giant goal to say the least, but as they say, go big or go home hahahah. Can't wait to see your path

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590991347
Old 06-29-2016, 11:15 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Reviving the Noob post a little. It's the start of a new season with new goals. Last season I came here in seek of some help. I had way too much car for what I was even capable of handling and attempted to chase a 10 second goal. Absolutely embarrassing myself I ran a 11.77@roughly 128mph with terrible 2.1x 60ft the first night out....I decided that I would reach out with this thread and came across a few important people who took the time to help. Joe, Rob, and Seb took me under their wing and helped me achieve a 10.35@136.22 with a 1.48 60ft by the end of the season.
Well this year is here and the new goal is a 9.9x the car is more than capable, and I'm getting real close. The car is still more car than I am driver but I'm game a ready to get it done.
Meeting Seb and having him give me 1 one 1 time has really brought me to another level. He isn't too bad of a tuner either lol

About the run, It was really hot nearly 95f and 1800DA. Wasn't optimal weather but when you have a chance to meet up with Seb and get some help you take it. Still using the Zr1 clutch was able to constantly launch low 1.4x. Come this fall when the temp drops a bit, a 9 is coming.....I'm sure of it. new best ET10.14 and new best 60ft 1.40
Old 06-30-2016, 12:07 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Your improvement is OUTSTANDING and 1.4's are no joke... your car looks like it was shot off an aircraft carrier!!

Meeting gentlemen like you and others mentioned in this thread are the reason why I love this forum. What a joy it is to ride along with you as you accomplish your goals.

That single digit slip is heartbeat away.

Last edited by Joe_G; 06-30-2016 at 12:08 AM.
rpmextra (07-01-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmextra
He isn't too bad of a tuner either lol

Great run my boy
Anyway, welcome to S.I.R.P. Team

Seb
rpmextra (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 06:18 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Congrats again.
Perhaps the nine second pass will have a new thread. Not sure if you are a noob anymore.
Better start planning the trip south in November.
We expect Team Canada to be representing down here.
rpmextra (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 11:25 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

LOL Thanks Guys. Gary i may not be a noob anymore but I'm not a veteran either lol and still feel like i have much to learn and improve upon. I'm definitely on the fastest path given so many are willing to Help. I may sound like a broken record sometimes but Seb has been pushing me hard and constantly helping me achieve the next level. Whether it's the car's set-up, suggestion on a mod, tuning or driving skill he's had my back and always with good intention. Working my way up the ladder but some guys like yourself, Seb, Rob and even Bruce (thought he'd like a compliment) seem intangible. I didn't see the post for MIR this year. I definitely want in. I bought a trailer this spring and had that in my mind the whole time. I had to sell my spot last year due to clutch issues but that hopefully won't be an issue this time around
Old 07-02-2016, 09:56 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Yeah I need to start the thread. The date will be November 18th this year. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:58 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
Yeah I need to start the thread. The date will be November 18th this year. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
OK let me know I'll get my spot right away
Old 07-03-2016, 08:54 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

LOL Thanks Guys. Gary i may not be a noob anymore but I'm not a veteran either lol and still feel like i have much to learn and improve upon. I'm definitely on the fastest path given so many are willing to Help. I may sound like a broken record sometimes but Seb has been pushing me hard and constantly helping me achieve the next level. Whether it's the car's set-up, suggestion on a mod, tuning or driving skill he's had my back and always with good intention. Working my way up the ladder but some guys like yourself, Seb, Rob and even Bruce (thought he'd like a compliment) seem intangible. I didn't see the post for MIR this year. I definitely want in. I bought a trailer this spring and had that in my mind the whole time. I had to sell my spot last year due to clutch issues but that hopefully won't be an issue this time around

Excellent post, start to finish. Read the whole thing in one sitting. Living thru your experience. Seems you have met some very generous posters here with their time and experience. I for one come here for exactly that, and appreciate their input. I am envious of your Z06 as I will have to settle for now with my 08 ls3, A6 with z51 option. This makes me want even more to take it to the track to see what it will do.

Keep posting so we can follow along with your continued progress. ps also very envious of your garage and mechanical skills not to mention your driving!!
rpmextra (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 01:10 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sfrank2886

Excellent post, start to finish. Read the whole thing in one sitting. Living thru your experience. Seems you have met some very generous posters here with their time and experience. I for one come here for exactly that, and appreciate their input. I am envious of your Z06 as I will have to settle for now with my 08 ls3, A6 with z51 option. This makes me want even more to take it to the track to see what it will do.

Keep posting so we can follow along with your continued progress. ps also very envious of your garage and mechanical skills not to mention your driving!!
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you were able to absorb a few things as that's what the thread was all about from the very beginning. I reached out in hope of getting some help. Little did I know I'd end up with an all-star cast consisting of some of the very elite. I hit the Jackpot there and for that I'm very fortunate.

I encourage you to get out there with yours and have fun. Its very addictive but it's a great time. If I could give any advice, it would be to be organized with your approach (take notes from Joe on that).....and when playing with set-up change one thing at a time. it's nice to know what did what and was it worth it. You can also write on the back of time slips tire pressure, burnout time, temp, DA, launch rpm ect.

Thanks for the compliments, The only reason I'm able to afford a car like this is because I can work on it myself. I have actually started to work on many other vettes as of late as the word is getting out lol. My friend Shawn (07Z06) just went from 11.2@129 to 10.4@134 from the cam and intake swap I just did. He's a great driver....better shifter than me and will likely catch me eventually lol But that's just another reason to get back out and improve my skills further.
Is2scooby (12-18-2016)
Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 AM
Chris Arnold
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, this is good stuff! Thanks for the read and felt like I was getting advice as I read all of it. Thanks guys!
rpmextra (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:51 AM
2L8LUZ
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

None of us were born with the ability to coax a 1.4 (or in Rob & Gary's case, 1.3) 60 foot out of a high horsepower manual car with an aluminum rear end; so we've all been right where you are.

Now the good news is you're a smart gentleman asking questions and wanting to learn, not a cocky guy who thinks he knows it all and can't learn anything from us guys who have already been down the path. Your path to becoming a sharp driver will be greatly compressed! My friend (now, we met here actually but remain friends even after he sold his Vette) went from 11.2's and thinking his car was a dud to this pass in just a few dozen passes listening to Rob Z and me.

He did a flat shifting mod to his HP Tuners (also self taught) which is how he can shift like this.

Justinjor 10 6 @ 129 1 48 60 foot - YouTube

And more great news that you have HP Tuners. Now we can really help you. If you send me your best runs to joegut at gmail dot com I will do an analysis and tell you what you are doing. I really stepped up my game when I started scanning and reading the passes to see what exactly I was doing. I'm a CPA; my motto is you can't improve it until you measure it. lol

I recommend a cheap suction mount for your smart phone - put it on your side window so we can see your tach like you saw in my video above, along with an outside video if you can do it. Alternatively, a go pro showing your shifting would be ok, but I personally like to see the tach.

Here's what I'm talking about in the analysis - you can get all this info from HP Tuners once you learn what you are looking for:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r1-w-dr-s.html

What cam was in this car during the run and what HP/TQ numbers were you making???

THX!!
Old 09-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 2L8LUZ
What cam was in this car during the run and what HP/TQ numbers were you making???

THX!!
Hi there,

G5x3 cam from LG (now with 80,000 miles on it)

474/413

Still going strong in my burnout duel with my buddy yesterday.

rpmextra (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 08:23 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Chris Arnold
Man, this is good stuff! Thanks for the read and felt like I was getting advice as I read all of it. Thanks guys!
It's crazy looking back at this thread. Kinda embarrassing to see how little I knew back when I started. You kinda take the little things that are maybe now considered rather obvious, for granted. Like fuel level in the tank, proper tire pressure, letting the car cool down between runs etc. Even being kinda blessed with being able to launch quite easily. It's something that came kinda natural and if you read through, you can see how quickly i got into the 1.4x with some proper guidance. I grabbed a friends Z last weekend who's best 60ft is 1.51 and I pulled out a 1.46 first and only pass lol. I'm glad you were able to read this thread and adsorb some of the details. Keep at it and good luck
Old 09-14-2017, 11:22 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

It's crazy looking back at this thread. Kinda embarrassing to see how little I knew back when I started. You kinda take the little things that are maybe now considered rather obvious, for granted. Like fuel level in the tank, proper tire pressure, letting the car cool down between runs etc. Even being kinda blessed with being able to launch quite easily. It's something that came kinda natural and if you read through, you can see how quickly i got into the 1.4x with some proper guidance. I grabbed a friends Z last weekend who's best 60ft is 1.51 and I pulled out a 1.46 first and only pass lol. I'm glad you were able to read this thread and adsorb some of the details. Keep at it and good luck
Very kewl stuff my friend. That's what these forums are all about. Threads like this make for great reads and can benefit a great amount of members who enjoy drag racing their vettes. I find that the people who are the most open minded and listen the best to just a few more experience racers progress the quickest.
The following 2 users liked this post by robz:
rpmextra (09-16-2017), Sébast19X (09-14-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 1/4 Mile Noob here!

Old 09-14-2017, 11:27 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I've gotten so much out of this forum over the years, I'm sad to see forums being killed by Facebook and now the fact that Photobucket wants $400/year to host our pictures.

Facebook is great for showing your friends what you had for dinner (i.e. useless news that is stale in a day). Since Facebook doesn't let you search for anything it's just a stream of consciousness (or unconsciousness sometimes).

These forums provide a searchable tool to share knowledge. If they die an important tool is going to be lost and I hate to see it.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:09 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robz
Very kewl stuff my friend. That's what these forums are all about. Threads like this make for great reads and can benefit a great amount of members who enjoy drag racing their vettes. I find that the people who are the most open minded and listen the best to just a few more experience racers progress the quickest.
Thanks again for all your input and helping me the way you did. I'm about ready to make another push toward a new goal and I wouldn't be on the door step to 9s had it not been for the help I recieved from yourself, Joe and of course Seb with the tuning and 1 on 1 coaching. All I wanted at first was a 10 lol......forget that!!!

I've gotten so much out of this forum over the years, I'm sad to see forums being killed by Facebook and now the fact that Photobucket wants $400/year to host our pictures.

Facebook is great for showing your friends what you had for dinner (i.e. useless news that is stale in a day). Since Facebook doesn't let you search for anything it's just a stream of consciousness (or unconsciousness sometimes).

These forums provide a searchable tool to share knowledge. If they die an important tool is going to be lost and I hate to see it.
These forums are great as a tool indeed. Your message almost sounds like you know something....is there talk about shutting down the forum?

Last edited by rpmextra; 09-16-2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:35 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks again for all your input and helping me the way you did. I'm about ready to make another push toward a new goal and I wouldn't be on the door step to 9s had it not been for the help I recieved from yourself, Joe and of course Seb with the tuning and 1 on 1 coaching. All I wanted at first was a 10 lol......forget that!!!

These forums are great as a tool indeed. Your message almost sounds like you know something....is there talk about shutting down the forum?
Naa, but photobucket essentially stiffing all of us by no longer hosting pictures means that posting pics to forums is now more painful... I’ve noticed a decrease in forum activity... but it could be me. I think it’s safe to say Facebook has taken a chunk out of forums, grabbing more of people’s internet time, and YouTube has also become a pretty good how to place.

I personally really like the forums for tech support plus the personal relationships we all form so I hope they don’t die!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile Noob here!