C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

watch what oil filter you use

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:55 AM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
So this part # is an LS9 filter that will screw right on to my LS3? And it's better because it's larger and/ or synthetic? Is this an OEM GM part or otherwise?

Why is my OLM dropping so quickly?(dropped 40% on an 1200 mile highway trip)

Do I need to look for a specific oil certification? What oil do you recommend? I will be doing a lot of track days (2x-3x/ month) with this car as soon as I get it sorted.

Sorry for the barrage of questions but I just bought the car and am trying to get all of this sorted ASAP as I have a track day coming up quickly.
this is what livernois motorsports sent me with my heads and cam package. I use a royal purple HPS and Royal Purple filter, and these are my dash readings are with 4hrs of driving to hot the strip. so It's more than warmed up.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:13 PM
myc7z51
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
Low Oil Pressure on V8 Engines
August 10, 2015
A Service Engine Soon (SES) lamp may be illuminated or low oil pressure may be indicated on the instrument cluster with DTC P0521 (Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Performance) stored on some 2007-2013 CTS-V, Escalade, Avalanche, Camaro SS, Colorado, Corvette, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Canyon, Sierra, Savana, and Yukon models equipped with a V8 engine (RPOs L20, L77, L94, L96, L99, L9H, LC8, LC9, LH9, LMF, LMG, LY6, LZ1). In some cases, these conditions may have started shortly after an oil change.

If DTC P0521 and/or low oil pressure is indicated on the instrument cluster in cold or hot weather on a Gen4 V8 engine and the engine is currently equipped with a PF48E oil filter, determine if the engine has been properly repaired and cleaned following the procedure used in the latest version of Bulletin #10-06-01-008. The bulletin covers engine oil consumption on engines with Active Fuel Management (AFM). If the engine has not been properly repaired, update the engine with the components outlined in the bulletin.

If the engine has been properly repaired and cleaned, inspect the left rocker cover (square baffle) (Fig. 3, #1 – old design; #2 – new design with square baffle) and verify that the baffles can hold water and do not leak. If any leaks are found, clean and seal the edge of the baffle with RTV, if possible, or replace the valve cover. Thoroughly clean and dry the valve cover before installation and/or resealing.

In addition, change the engine oil and replace the oil filter with a PF48E filter.
He had everything right except the filter - it should have read 'replace with UPF48R' here's the bulletin...

https://www.obd-codes.com/pdf/gm-tsb-pip5276d.pdf
Old 08-21-2017, 07:03 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I put Purolator on mine from local Advance auto.. They already have rust inside them right out of the box. (really) and they have coarser thread to spin on faster... (not true)
I actually have seen them with rust inside and told the store...

Last edited by carls2004; 08-21-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:09 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

If you are going to use Purolator, you may want to use the PUR-1 line. They are better made filters and have more filter surface area than their standard brand.

Quick Reply: watch what oil filter you use