C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about caliper and bracket bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 05:15 PM
sbrunkow
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about caliper and bracket bolts

I have a set of C6 brakes I'm putting on my 71 Cutlass I'm restoring. I bought them as caliper attached to bracket, pads and rotors.

I didn't get the bolts to mount the brackets to the car. Can someone tell me what the specs are on them or the part number front and rear? Also, if anyone knows the length of the bolts minus the heads so I can make sure they will be the right length.

It looks like blue loctite is used on the caliper to bracket bolts, do you use it on the mounting bolts as well? Also what are the torque specs?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-06-2015, 10:47 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,173 Posts

Here you go for large bracket bolts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
If you're talking about this caliper bracket bolt:

That bolt has GM part# 14084051 and has a spec of M14x2x47. I believe it's the same bolt that's used on all C5/C6 Vettes.

So, it's got a 14mm diameter shank. The head takes a 21mm wrench, and it's about 23.5mm across the points on the head - so that should help with your washer selection.

The torque spec is 129 lb-ft with blue loctite, and I've never heard of anybody have them back out, so I'm not sure why you need nord lock washers on them

The Service Manual says to use new ones every time, but I've taken the calipers on/off my C6 Z06 many times and use the same bolts time after time. I used to use a brush to remove old loctite and then apply more when reinstalling them, but I don't even bother with that anymore, and I've still got to bang them loose with a dead-blow mallet on my box-end wrench.

Bob
As for the smaller bolt of the caliper to the bracket guide rods themself, the torque spec for those are 23 ft/lbs.

Here is a break down of the different brakes with part numbers, and the base brakes are just JL9's.
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co...=0&searchTerm=

Last edited by Dano523; 09-06-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:11 PM
sbrunkow
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Here you go for large bracket bolts

As for the smaller bolt of the caliper to the bracket guide rods themself, the torque spec for those are 23 ft/lbs.

Here is a break down of the different brakes with part numbers, and the base brakes are just JL9's.
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co...=0&searchTerm=
Thank you very much.

Get notified of new replies

To question about caliper and bracket bolts

Quick Reply: question about caliper and bracket bolts