C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Widen 18x10.5 to 11.5 Rim,tire size

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 11:22 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I assumed he would launch with 450 hp and the 275's would easily handle that. Then after he's rolling, he'd hit the spray.
He'd need to run 315's with lower pressure than 275's to have an advantage if he sprayed on the launch, so he better have more hp to carry him through the traps. I'm 1.48-1.50 with a whole lot less power on 275's at 18-19 psi on a 9.5 x 17.

If you're hooking hard, you need to either launch harder or raise pressure.
student in progress working on it
Old 10-18-2015, 12:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by LS2KING
Actually 50/50 i was just at Street Car Takeover and my 285 street tires were practically worthless. Street rolls was practically all i could perform with on behalf of my crap launches. Looking for both pal, if i can get a 2nd set of rear wheels too throw on for track it be nice too have a 10 sec Vette as my Dailey but cant do that with current tires.
The 50/50 you want, is the compromise you currently have. If you want max performance for the track, then forget appearance, since there are no bonus points on a timeslip for good looks. If you want appearance, then buy whatever you think looks good, but don't expect them to work well at the track.

Don't get hung up on wide or tall tires. Bigger is not better for what you need at the track.
The ideal tire for drag racing a door slammer has a tall sidewall, is lightweight, and has as hard a compound and is as narrow as possible, while still able to dead hook at a high pressure. You're looking for the longest, narrowest footprint at rest. Now if you had a '53 Corvette, almost any tire would dead hook, since it didn't have enough power to spin a bicycle tire on dry pavement.
With a C6, the stock suspension limits you to a 17" wheel, and the stock gear ratio demands a short tire, so the sidewall size is pretty small. Now a ~400+ HP, 3500# car will require a pretty soft compound in the sizes available and to get the longest contact footprint, we're restricted to drag radials. Because the lightest weight available happens to be Hoosier, our choices are limited to only five and the smallest and largest don't match up well with our HP. Theoretically, the 245/45 would be the best and if I had an extra $600 burning a hole in my wallet I'd try them, just because nobody else has. So far, we have eliminated all but 2 tires and the evidence, aka track results, has shown them to the best. The general consensus is that the switch from 275/40 to 315/35 happens at the 600 HP point. In the process, the additional width requires lower pressure to maintain the same length contact patch for the launch, but is overshadowed by the extra HP available for the MPH on the high end.

And there you have the drag tire 101 short course for a C6. Anything less is a compromise.
The following users liked this post:
c5wolf (10-18-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 01:02 PM
LS2KING
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The 50/50 you want, is the compromise you currently have. If you want max performance for the track, then forget appearance, since there are no bonus points on a timeslip for good looks. If you want appearance, then buy whatever you think looks good, but don't expect them to work well at the track.

Don't get hung up on wide or tall tires. Bigger is not better for what you need at the track.
The ideal tire for drag racing a door slammer has a tall sidewall, is lightweight, and has as hard a compound and is as narrow as possible, while still able to dead hook at a high pressure. You're looking for the longest, narrowest footprint at rest. Now if you had a '53 Corvette, almost any tire would dead hook, since it didn't have enough power to spin a bicycle tire on dry pavement.
With a C6, the stock suspension limits you to a 17" wheel, and the stock gear ratio demands a short tire, so the sidewall size is pretty small. Now a ~400+ HP, 3500# car will require a pretty soft compound in the sizes available and to get the longest contact footprint, we're restricted to drag radials. Because the lightest weight available happens to be Hoosier, our choices are limited to only five and the smallest and largest don't match up well with our HP. Theoretically, the 245/45 would be the best and if I had an extra $600 burning a hole in my wallet I'd try them, just because nobody else has. So far, we have eliminated all but 2 tires and the evidence, aka track results, has shown them to the best. The general consensus is that the switch from 275/40 to 315/35 happens at the 600 HP point. In the process, the additional width requires lower pressure to maintain the same length contact patch for the launch, but is overshadowed by the extra HP available for the MPH on the high end.

And there you have the drag tire 101 short course for a C6. Anything less is a compromise.
Wow man that was a great response. Thank you very much. Actually everybody on here have been extremly helpful. Looks like ill be getting a 315
Old 10-18-2015, 02:03 PM
C6David
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

My old 275 hoosiers dead hooked on motor at the track (1.46 60ft)hooked up great on the street. My 315s did good spraying a 200 out of the hole. 1.42 60ft but my converter wasnt really working great for that much spray.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:11 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by LS2KING
Wow man that was a great response. Thank you very much. Actually everybody on here have been extremly helpful. Looks like ill be getting a 315
I think you missed the point. Since you're not spraying on the launch, which is the primary need for drag tires, you don't have 600 HP requirements and the 315 size will slow you down, compared to the 275's. When your 450 HP NA launch is over and you are rolling, the 275's can easily handle the additional 150 HP. You've already experienced that the roll racing part can be handled with your current tires.
Tire size overkill is a losing proposition.

Tires are like shoes. Some you wear for dancing, some for rock climbing, and some for everyday use. You never wear size 13 if your foot is a size 9, because the performance suffers. They might look good for bragging, but sooner or later the pants come off and the truth is exposed.

I'll be at WHP for the ADRA #10 race on Oct 31st if you want to meet up there. I have a friend who might be willing to sell a pair of C5 Z06 9.5 x 17 wheels (excellent for drag tires), if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Widen 18x10.5 to 11.5 Rim,tire size