C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check for vacuum leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:45 AM
dentalfloss
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts
Default How to check for vacuum leak?

I have an 05 base coupe m6 and have a problem with the rpm's rising every time between shifts. It is worse when cold. If I disconnect the battery it is good for awhile. I am thinking I have a vacuum leak or at least want to check for one before I go further. I bought a smoke vacuum leak machine. I was thinking to seal the throttle body and send the smoke in the brake booster hose and see what happens. What do you think?
Old 10-27-2015, 07:50 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Supercharged or no?

I'd try smoke and you can add some compressed air too through the brake booster hose. I've used soapy water to spray all over everything they could leak before too (along with compressed air). Worked fine

Stock tune?
Old 10-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Paratrooper307
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Hook up a vacuum gauge and see what your reading is. A vacuum leak will read low or show fluctuation. You can also get a a propane torch and gently spray it around the manifold and vacuum lines and watch the RPM. Check the easy stuff first.

Get notified of new replies

To How to check for vacuum leak?

Quick Reply: How to check for vacuum leak?