C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 C6 Coupe TPMS Sensors Intermittant

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:19 AM
ultraman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2011 C6 Coupe TPMS Sensors Intermittant

2011 C6 coupe with 13,500 miles.

Have 2 sets of tires winter/summer. Had my winter tires on all summer (but didn't drive much < 500 miles) because of nail in one of my OEM summer tires and didn't have time to repair. When I finally took my tire in for repair, tech noted significant "channel cracking" in tire and suggested having a Goodyear place take a look. Goodyear dealer replaced all 4 OEM tires (cracking was present in all) for the cost of mounting/balancing (yea Goodyear!).

Put summer wheels/tires back on Vette and reset the TPMS system with the tool. System reset with no issue and all sensors report the actual tire pressure matching my tire gauge within 1 psi. While driving, after about 30 minutes or so, the TPMS light comes on and the right rear tire reports XX on the dic. The other tires report normally. Continue driving, now one of the front tires reports XX. Continue driving, now the front tire is back to reporting the pressure of 34. At the next stop, I turn off the car and turn it back on. All sensors report actual pressure TPMS light off.

Take home and perform reset again. Everything resets normally. On the next road trip, pretty much the same scenario plays out with the RR tire sensor reporting XX and then one of the fronts eventually reports XX and then eventually reports normally again. This time turning car on/off, the TPMS light stays on, but all the sensors are reporting pressure.

1. Is it likely the TPMS sensor batteries are dying at 4 years and around 8000 miles of use? (2 sets of tires/wheels)
2. Is there a scan tool (maybe the Dealers?) that can determine battery level in the TPMS sensors?
3. Is it most likely that there is just something wrong with the TPMS system/computer?

Appreciate any insight that can be provided.

Last edited by ultraman; 11-13-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-13-2015, 09:24 AM
ultraman
Advanced

Also, if there is some troubleshooting that I could do with them, I actually have a new set of TPMS sensors still in the boxes.

I bought these to go in my winter wheels, since they actually have the older version of the sensors for the C6 and don't work with my 2011 system. I got tired of being in "reduced handling mode" with my winter tires, so I decided to finally replace the sensors, but haven't done so yet.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:33 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

As far as the TMPS sensors, in 4 years, they should all be still working with lot's of life left in the batteries. I have a 2006 with the original sensors, and they are still working without issues or lights etc.
You must have a sensor that's not working correctly.

It was great that Goodyear replaced all 4 tires due to the cracking. I personally would never get GY summer performance tires again, because they are noisy, don't do well in rain, and they wear out prematurely and are way over priced.
Since you got them for a song, then it makes it a bit better.
GL with the sensor issue
Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 AM
GS057
Safety Car

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Any updates? I am having the same issue as you.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:06 AM
ultraman
Advanced

Originally Posted by GS057
Any updates? I am having the same issue as you.
My problem seemed to be interference from my ezpass that I had near the rear view mirror. The receiver for the tpms is within the mirror electronics if I remember what I read correctly.

I just pulled the ezpass from the windshield and keep it in the console. So far it has still been read properly in that location.

Other electronics can also interfere with the tpms apparently so if you have anything else that you can temporarily remove to see if it fixes the problem I would try it.

Keep in mind that you may not see the problem for at least 20 to 30 minutes of driving since the system waits that long to check the tpms.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 C6 Coupe TPMS Sensors Intermittant

Quick Reply: 2011 C6 Coupe TPMS Sensors Intermittant