C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking sound from rear suspension: 2006 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:28 PM
TexasandBeyond
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Creaking sound from rear suspension: 2006 coupe

Hello all-

Recently (in the past 6 months or so) I've started to hear a lot of creaking and popping from the rear of the car, presumably from the suspension. The sounds are not isolated to driving; as with the car parked, I can push down on the rear and hear a few "pops", then if I get under the car and push up, it lets out more creaks.
(The car makes the same creaking sounds when driving at slow and high speeds as well).
The sounds occur regardless if the car is hot/cold/recently driven/parked for days.

After doing some online searching for people with similar problems, it appears a common thread people noted were the rear sway bar end links or potentially the bushings on the sway bar. Well, tonight I went ahead and disconnected the end links and pulled off the sway bar--I then proceeded to push up and down on the rear of the car and the same popping/creaking was occurring. So, I don't believe this has anything to do with the endlinks/swaybar.

If anyone has any suggestions, please advise.

This is a 2006 coupe 6spd with 53k miles on it, non Z51 and non Z06.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-23-2016, 11:51 AM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

My experience has the end links causing "rattles and clunks", and the sway-bar bushings causing "squeaks and creaks".

Nothing to say you aren't experiencing both as they are both common noise-makers.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:51 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

shocks may be going bad ..
Old 02-28-2016, 07:10 PM
silver ls2
Instructor

Grease the end links and spray some wd40 on your swaybar busings.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:09 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by C6topless
shocks may be going bad ..
I agree
Old 02-28-2016, 11:11 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

End links will sound more like a popping noise and be especially bad when you go over speed bumps at an angle.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:15 PM
badass7
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I am having identical Creaking and Popping Pass side rear in my '06 Z06 w only 23k miles. I've lubed every joint and still no solution!!

Did you ever resolve your creaking ?? Please any advice is greatly appreciated!

TA
Old 05-21-2016, 11:17 PM
badass7
Pro

I even did a bottle jack to lift leaf spring and Hit it with Valvoline Synthetic grease inside and around! I too can push on it and make it pop then pull up from rear bumper and will CReAK right behind Brake Rotor!!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:09 AM
badass7
Pro

Anyone??
Old 05-22-2016, 10:10 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

End links?
Old 05-22-2016, 02:07 PM
badass7
Pro

OK.....100% Fixed gone Adios !!! I jacked up Rear, removed wheel and went to Lowering Bolt and RAISED that Focker 1.5 Turns. GONE !!!! Not a peep Not a Creak Not a Pop Nothing!

My car was pretty much slammed in rear.
The following users liked this post:
TexasandBeyond (05-20-2017)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:17 AM
badass7
Pro

Originally Posted by TexasandBeyond
Hello all-

Recently (in the past 6 months or so) I've started to hear a lot of creaking and popping from the rear of the car, presumably from the suspension. The sounds are not isolated to driving; as with the car parked, I can push down on the rear and hear a few "pops", then if I get under the car and push up, it lets out more creaks.
(The car makes the same creaking sounds when driving at slow and high speeds as well).
The sounds occur regardless if the car is hot/cold/recently driven/parked for days.

After doing some online searching for people with similar problems, it appears a common thread people noted were the rear sway bar end links or potentially the bushings on the sway bar. Well, tonight I went ahead and disconnected the end links and pulled off the sway bar--I then proceeded to push up and down on the rear of the car and the same popping/creaking was occurring. So, I don't believe this has anything to do with the endlinks/swaybar.

If anyone has any suggestions, please advise.

This is a 2006 coupe 6spd with 53k miles on it, non Z51 and non Z06.

Thanks so much!
OP, get back in there take off rear wheel. Put a jack on Leaf Spring where Lowering bolt is on A-Arm. Jack leaf spring up and shoot Valvoline Synthetic Grease in, around, and underneath lowering bolt.

If your car is lowered, mine was slammed all of my noise disappeared with about 2 Full Turns RAISING suspension.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:36 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I had creaking for a very long time and it was the leaf spring adjusters binding on the arms

worn ball joints can cause creaking and popping as well

obviously the first and easiest thing to check is the endlinks

Old 09-13-2016, 09:15 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine started doing this right after a clutch install. Everything was out. I went over all the bolts and they are to spec. I will try to lube the sway bar and links and I will try and lube the lowering bolts.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:21 PM
TexasandBeyond
Heel & Toe

Sorry for the much delayed response....
And thanks for all the input guys!

The creaking noise on my car was for sure coming from the "raise/lowering" bolts in the rear of the car. I sprayed a lubricator on them and rotated them just a tad ( less than a 1/8 of a turn) and lubed them again-- this makes the creaking instantly go away. ( When the creaking is present, I can push up and down on the rear of the car and hear loud popping).
My problem is that after a few months, the creaking is back and I have to repeat the lube/bolt adjustment.....which isn't a horrible deal, but it would be ideal to rid of the noise for a much longer period of time. ( If I lube the bolts without adjusting them, the creaking is gone for only a few days).

The guy I bought my car from 7 years ago, previously had the car lowered ( I have it at stock height). I'm not positive if the bolts on my car are stock....perhaps if I swap them out for the stock ones, I could keep it from creaking as a long term solution?...

I attached a few pictures-- can anyone tell if these are stock bolts/bushings? and if not, where could I buy them?

Thanks all!

Old 05-23-2017, 07:29 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

you are missing the rubber portions

solutions:
ma motorworks or eklers sells oem style
lingenfelter and vansteel sell delrin ones
zip corvette and eibach make poly ones
and finally the cheapest solution - zip also makes poly pads that just slide over the metal flats

at this point the stock adjusters could break off after begin stressed like they have been (one of mine did) so I wouldnt go the slip on poly pad route unless the budget is tight

Last edited by el es tu; 05-23-2017 at 07:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
TexasandBeyond (07-18-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 08:51 PM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

i have this issue on my 08 and it's driving me crazy. i've had it for years but seems to be getting worse. i've tried all the remedies except changing the diff fluid. sprayed motorcycle chain grease every where including the lowering bolts and all the suspension pivot points. changed the end links. car was never lowered and all parts are stock. guess i'll change the diff fluid. if that doesn't work, i'm out of ideas.

Last edited by mmorse; 05-24-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:16 PM
Macman74
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking noise aroma rear end

Originally Posted by mmorse
i have this issue on my 08 and it's driving me crazy. i've had it for years but seems to be getting worse. i've tried all the remedies except changing the diff fluid. sprayed motorcycle chain grease every where including the lowering bolts and all the suspension pivot points. changed the end links. car was never lowered and all parts are stock. guess i'll change the diff fluid. if that doesn't work, i'm out of ideas.
My 2008 C6 would creak on the smallest of bumps. It has 100,000 miles. After reading blogs I checked axle nuts and the right rear was loose, I changed hubs with bearings, rotors and brake pads. I put new end links with grease fittings and I STIILL HAD THE CREAKING. I got a great deal on 2 new CV axles and while waiting for them to arrived I found out my rear hatch was not closing completely UGH. YAY I fixed the problem NO MORE Creaking and my Vette loves all the new parts so I don’t feel bad about the labor to install them. Hope this helps someone.

Get notified of new replies

To Creaking sound from rear suspension: 2006 coupe

Quick Reply: Creaking sound from rear suspension: 2006 coupe