C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Procharging my C6

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 11:46 AM
smiley88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Procharging my C6

Guys I have a 09 LS3 and looking to procharge it...The shop that would be doing the work is very reputable out here in Ca. And I have dealt with them quite often..The owner of the shop is very educated to high performance cars and the tuner is a tunning genious but I just would like to 100% know all that is considered....my motor is all stock other than current Cai and custom tune. .I do not track it however it is my daily driver and I do like to get on it light to light or on the freeway every now and then.And just have the power there when I want it..I just want to make sure it will be a reliable daily driver still and any input on pros and cons.It gets to 100° out here in california so at stop lights i want to make sure no heating problems...Will my car run hotter , cooler ,gas mileage stay the same ?cannot find anything negative from anyone on forum so wanted to ask for myself. .I like the idea that these ls3s are bulletproof and you can squeeze a reliable 750 easy horsepower out of them. How fun ...thank you for all your input and time into educating me on this topic...
Old 03-12-2016, 04:31 PM
Impulse20098
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I currently reside in Houston. The weather in the summer is well hot to say the least. I have an 08 ls3 with an ECS kit. I do not daily drive the car. But I can run the ac full blast in the summer and the car runs great all day long. Racing or just cruising the car is amazing.

Intake temps are a little high, I would definitely suggest a methanol injection. ( just installed mine last week). But no issues at all with the actual cooling of the motor or excessive heat anywhere else.

My fuel mileage actually got a little better. But I did remove the cats entirely and got all new exhaust.

Last edited by Impulse20098; 03-12-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:11 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

S/C and Meth kit go hand and hand.

The meth kit will cool the air pressure boost going into the intake so you don't run into heat problem from the hot boost after a few runs on boost, and it increases the octane rating in the fuel so you don't run into detonation problems from the boost as well.

Meth kits can use the windshield washer tank since you will get a light in the dash if goes low, or it can have it own tank with a warning light on it own instead.

Windshield washer fluid is around 20 meth/80 water, while with the meth kit, your going to run a 50/50 mix isntead. Read yes, can use the meth mix to clean the windshields out of the windshield fluid tank as well.

Pre-mix meth is expensive due to shipping cost of shipping high concentrations of methanol, while you can buy methanol by the gallons locally for around $8 dollars to mix with distilled water to make your own meth mix instead. So the way to look at it, even with hard play on boost for daily driving on the streets, two gallons of DIY meth mix with distilled water will last a few weeks and only around $4.50 a gallon in the end. Plus since you will have a few extra distilled water bottle in the end, easy to keep a extra gallon of meth mix in the rear cubby if you run low out on the road isntead.

As for high speed road coarse work, 3 gallons of meth will last around a hour on the track instead.

As for the meth kit, if the shop has any talent, they should be able to build a meth kit installed for around $600. If they don't and have to go store bought kit instead, then will come in around a grand installed instead (will have parts that will also come with your super charger kit, like a 2 or 3 bar map sensor). As for the meth kit, will be part of the tune on the car, and it in the tune will be a fail safe if the meth kit drops out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ll-w-pics.html

http://www.alkycontrol.com/#!product...f-aa53c100507d
Old 03-13-2016, 03:16 AM
smiley88
Advanced

Man thank you guys for taking the time to educate me on this little scenario I'm about to come across. I will definitely call the mechanic in the tuner Monday and ask them about the meth kits I know I hear them talk about it quite often so it sounds like it might be a possibility thank you so much gentlemen for the info
Old 03-13-2016, 07:45 AM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by smiley88
Man thank you guys for taking the time to educate me on this little scenario I'm about to come across. I will definitely call the mechanic in the tuner Monday and ask them about the meth kits I know I hear them talk about it quite often so it sounds like it might be a possibility thank you so much gentlemen for the info
I approached the same problem by going to my speed shop, telling them my power goals and following their advice. I told them i wanted mid 500's for HP. They suggested a Procharger kit, D1SC head unit pulled for 7-8 psi, 1 7/8" headers, high flow cats, upgraded intercooler, upgraded bypass valve, Ati Damper.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:24 AM
smiley88
Advanced

Originally Posted by jashmore1234
I approached the same problem by going to my speed shop, telling them my power goals and following their advice. I told them i wanted mid 500's for HP. They suggested a Procharger kit, D1SC head unit pulled for 7-8 psi, 1 7/8" headers, high flow cats, upgraded intercooler, upgraded bypass valve, Ati Damper.
And we're you happy with the outcome? Any problems so far ? I've already dynoed with my Cai and tune at almost 500 with the ls3 so I'm hoping for a significant amount of more. Was yours with the ls2 , is that why only 500 range? Was it problem free for you ?
Old 03-13-2016, 12:04 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jashmore1234
And we're you happy with the outcome? Any problems so far ? I've already dynoed with my Cai and tune at almost 500 with the ls3 so I'm hoping for a significant amount of more. Was yours with the ls2 , is that why only 500 range? Was it problem free for you ?
I think there's some confusion on how your measuring HP. Most people on here and most shops measure RWHP, the HP that is actually being put to the ground after all the drivetrain losses. Smiley88, I'm guessing you are measuring flywheel (how the factory rates) as there's no way an LS3 is going to make 500RWHP with just a CAI and a tune. If you haven't had it dynoed, you need to so you'll know how much you really gain. Any of the centri blower setups out there (A&A, ECS or Procharger) should all put you in the 550-600RWHP range, which is going to be 650-700HP flywheel. Definitely get the meth setup. Also, since you're in CA, you may want to look at A&A. As far as I know they are the only add on centri blower kit for Corvettes that meets CA CARB requirements. Would really suck to drop several grand on a blower and then not be able to have your car pass inspection...
Old 03-13-2016, 12:20 PM
smiley88
Advanced

Originally Posted by Evan70
I think there's some confusion on how your measuring HP. Most people on here and most shops measure RWHP, the HP that is actually being put to the ground after all the drivetrain losses. Smiley88, I'm guessing you are measuring flywheel (how the factory rates) as there's no way an LS3 is going to make 500RWHP with just a CAI and a tune. If you haven't had it dynoed, you need to so you'll know how much you really gain. Any of the centri blower setups out there (A&A, ECS or Procharger) should all put you in the 550-600RWHP range, which is going to be 650-700HP flywheel. Definitely get the meth setup. Also, since you're in CA, you may want to look at A&A. As far as I know they are the only add on centri blower kit for Corvettes that meets CA CARB requirements. Would really suck to drop several grand on a blower and then not be able to have your car pass inspection...
yes sir I know exactly what you mean he says it will definitely pass smog but I will be calling Monday with questions about the meth kit and all of that stuff he never mentioned anything like that I just want to make sure reliability is my main concern don't want to wrench on my car everyday
Old 03-13-2016, 12:27 PM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

HP was based on what the general consensus of what a stock LS3 motor and A6 transmission can handle without grenading. I probably add meth and turn up the boost a couple of psi, but I suspect 550HP'ish will be enough to get my heart beating.

What is either your HP or track time goal? Mine was low 11 ' in the quarter.

Mine hits the dyno for its maiden voyage tomorrow, so I can't tell you if it will be reliable. If it blows, I'll build it bigger
Old 03-13-2016, 12:28 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

LS3 is very reliable with a blower. Lot's of guys on here with them, and lot's in my area (Dallas). I've had my A&A on now for almost 2 years and probably 15K miles. While I take good care of the car and don't drive like a hooligan all the time, I do hammer on it on a regular basis (including doing a 1/2 mile event last fall). Meth is not a "must have" but it's definitely worthwhile. If you don't do meth, I'd strongly advise getting an upgraded radiator. I initially skipped the meth as my A&A kit (for dry sump) came with an upgraded Dewitts radiator which helps a lot with handling the extra thermal load. Since then I've added meth and a smaller pulley for more boost and am making 672RWHP.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:52 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

where are you in CA, take it to A&A in Oxnard Ca everybody uses their kits!
Old 03-13-2016, 11:00 PM
smiley88
Advanced

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
where are you in CA, take it to A&A in Oxnard Ca everybody uses their kits!
I'm in fresno I use performance dyno tunning in oakdale...dudes are monsters at tunning and getting cars set up...thank you though...
Old 03-15-2016, 01:18 AM
smiley88
Advanced

[ QUO TE=s miley8.8;1591765463]I'm in fresno I use performance dyno tunning in oakdale...dudes are monsters at tunning and getting cars set up...thank you though...[/QUOTE]

Well guys talked to tuner and the mechanic today he said if the budget allows they would definitely run the meth kit can get me a meth kit for about 450 or 500 get a custom bottle that fits custom inside my car hatch and get it all done at the same time if the budget does not allow then we can ProCharge first and then come back up during the summer and add the kit later. ProCharger and meth kit are pretty pricey but once again my main focus is just on reliability and being a daily driver and making my motor last thank you for all your input fellows
Old 03-15-2016, 08:02 AM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

[ QUO TE=s miley8.8;1591765463]I'm in fresno I use performance dyno tunning in oakdale...dudes are monsters at tunning and getting cars set up...thank you though...
Well guys talked to tuner and the mechanic today he said if the budget allows they would definitely run the meth kit can get me a meth kit for about 450 or 500 get a custom bottle that fits custom inside my car hatch and get it all done at the same time if the budget does not allow then we can ProCharge first and then come back up during the summer and add the kit later. ProCharger and meth kit are pretty pricey but once again my main focus is just on reliability and being a daily driver and making my motor last thank you for all your input fellows[/QUOTE]

Still have my ECS kit that we talked about for sale. Will save you some cash over the procharger kit!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Anthony s
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys I have a 09 LS3 and looking to procharge it...The shop that would be doing the work is very reputable out here in Ca. And I have dealt with them quite often..The owner of the shop is very educated to high performance cars and the tuner is a tunning genious but I just would like to 100% know all that is considered....my motor is all stock other than current Cai and custom tune. .I do not track it however it is my daily driver and I do like to get on it light to light or on the freeway every now and then.And just have the power there when I want it..I just want to make sure it will be a reliable daily driver still and any input on pros and cons.It gets to 100° out here in california so at stop lights i want to make sure no heating problems...Will my car run hotter , cooler ,gas mileage stay the same ?cannot find anything negative from anyone on forum so wanted to ask for myself. .I like the idea that these ls3s are bulletproof and you can squeeze a reliable 750 easy horsepower out of them. How fun ...thank you for all your input and time into educating me on this topic...
I recently (6 months ago) got the ECS KIT & ARH headers installed on my 08 A6 . Wow! Tuned conservatively & no meth it has 540 RWHP. I had the same concerns. It is my fair weather daily driver. I am thinking about the meth & tires. The Michelin A/S ZPs cannot hold it. The cars gets sideways easily . If I may ask , what tires do you guys recommend ? Nitto's, MT or Toyo? I'll keep the Michelins as winter tires & have the others for the summer. Is my thought . I haven't track the car (yet). Thanks!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:23 AM
smiley88
Advanced

Originally Posted by ls1wolf
Well guys talked to tuner and the mechanic today he said if the budget allows they would definitely run the meth kit can get me a meth kit for about 450 or 500 get a custom bottle that fits custom inside my car hatch and get it all done at the same time if the budget does not allow then we can ProCharge first and then come back up during the summer and add the kit later. ProCharger and meth kit are pretty pricey but once again my main focus is just on reliability and being a daily driver and making my motor last thank you for all your input fellows

Still have my ECS kit that we talked about for sale. Will save you some cash over the procharger kit![/QUOTE]

I appreciate the offer I'm still doing my research to see what the difference between ProCharger and ECS are I'm kind of new to this high-horsepower stuff all my high horse power stuff is on boats anyways going to talk to my mechanic and tuner today to ask why there are so for the ProCharger and nothing else I think because they do so many of them with no problems... but definitely will be checking on the difference because with these cars I'm all about saving a few bucks LOL
Old 03-15-2016, 10:28 AM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Still have my ECS kit that we talked about for sale. Will save you some cash over the procharger kit!
I appreciate the offer I'm still doing my research to see what the difference between ProCharger and ECS are I'm kind of new to this high-horsepower stuff all my high horse power stuff is on boats anyways going to talk to my mechanic and tuner today to ask why there are so for the ProCharger and nothing else I think because they do so many of them with no problems... but definitely will be checking on the difference because with these cars I'm all about saving a few bucks LOL[/QUOTE]

Check the link below for a lot of the details on the kit I'm selling. Plus, as you will see, you can save 800$ right now buying my kit!

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.co...ategory_id=135

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about Procharging my C6

Old 03-15-2016, 10:47 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Anthony s
I recently (6 months ago) got the ECS KIT & ARH headers installed on my 08 A6 . Wow! Tuned conservatively & no meth it has 540 RWHP. I had the same concerns. It is my fair weather daily driver. I am thinking about the meth & tires. The Michelin A/S ZPs cannot hold it. The cars gets sideways easily . If I may ask , what tires do you guys recommend ? Nitto's, MT or Toyo? I'll keep the Michelins as winter tires & have the others for the summer. Is my thought . I haven't track the car (yet). Thanks!
You're heading down a slippery slope. 540RW you could probably live with really good street tires (not all A/S), something like Michelin PSS. If you add meth and get close to 600RW, you're going to want to seriously consider running something like the Nitto NT05R drag radials.

I appreciate the offer I'm still doing my research to see what the difference between ProCharger and ECS are
For centri blowers on Corvettes (C5/C6/C7), A&A and ECS are the best, with ProCharger coming in slightly behind those two. Procharger is a good kit, but A&A and ECS are more focused on the Corvette platform. It really comes down to what you installer sells or is comfortable installing/supporting. If you're lucky enough (like I am in Dallas) to have shops dealing with all three, then you can pick which one you think is best of the three (personally my ranking was A&A, ECS then Procharger), but if you only have one shop close by and they do Procharger, then that's what I'd go with.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Dave502
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Had a Procharger on my C5 Z06 and had to put a heat releasing hood on it to keep my temps down.....Have an A&A Vortech (installed about 3 weeks ago on my 2010 GS). putting 606 rwhp which is about 698 hp to crank with long tube headers and 7 1/2 lbs boost.....the Procharger intercooler Was 2 piece and were under each corner of front end....the A&A supercharger intercooler is dead center of the custom radiator and shuts down a lot of flow to the custom radiator.....driving around town even with 160 degree thermostat I'm still around 195 deg. Without running AC heavy traffic around 215 deg and this is spring.....I've been told that here in South Fl it will be pretty common to run 220 deg????...looking into a radiator fan and possibly another hood.....Do your research and talk to people about overheating problems

Last edited by Dave502; 03-15-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:52 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dave502
Had a Procharger on my C5 Z06 and had to put a heat releasing hood on it to keep my temps down.....Have an A&A Vortech (installed about 3 weeks ago on my 2010 GS). putting 606 rwhp which is about 698 hp to crank with long tube headers and 7 1/2 lbs boost.....the Procharger intercooler Was 2 piece and were under each corner of front end....the A&A supercharger intercooler is dead center of the custom radiator and shuts down a lot of flow to the custom radiator.....driving around town even with 160 degree thermostat I'm still around 195 deg. Without running AC heavy traffic around 215 deg and this is spring.....I've been told that here in South Fl it will be pretty common to run 220 deg????...looking into a radiator fan and possibly another hood.....Do your research and talk to people about overheating problems
I'm guessing you have an auto as the A&A for manual (dry-sump) Grand Sports comes with an upgraded Dewitts radiator with integrated engine oil and tranny cooler. Mine here in Dallas, TX is very well behaved with the Dewitts and runs very similar temps post blower as it did when stock. Yes, I can hit 220 sitting in traffic during the middle of summer with the AC on a little faster than when I was stock, but that's not an issue (these cars were designed to hit that sitting still on a hot day and have seen those temps when bone stock). As soon as I start moving the temp drops immediately and never go over 220 once the fans ramp up. The other big benefit of the Dewitts is that it gives you more thermal capacity for repeated full throttle pulls on the street. I can easily do half a dozen repeated full throttle pulls (from 60 in 3rd to top of 4th) without any issues (during the middle of TX summer). And when I say repeated, I mean no cool down in between runs other than slowing down to 60 and hitting it again. The final benefit is that after getting the temps up (on coolant and oil) from repeated runs, it doesn't take long at all for them to drop just by backing of and cruising at low rpm for a little bit.

Quick Reply: Questions about Procharging my C6