C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual Front Tire Wear

Old 03-24-2016, 06:16 PM
dude1579
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual Front Tire Wear

I removed the front tires off my 2006 coupe with 26K miles and found the passenger side tire extremely worn on the inside. So much so that you could see the threads under the rubber (Goodyear Run Flats). I took it for alignment prior to purchasing new tires and was surprised to learn that the right front alignment was within specs for Toe, Camber, and Caster. The left front was significantly out of spec for Toe (0.30 degrees) with no visible tire wear. The right rear was also out of spec for Toe at 0.30 degrees, also with no visible tire wear.
What gives? I bought new tires and the car is aligned. I don't want to experience the same weird tire wear, so any suggestions on the possible cause will be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:38 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Can you post your new (current) alignment specs? And maybe the old ones too?
The following users liked this post:
dude1579 (03-25-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:02 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

If I read your post correctly you did a alignment before you put the new tires on? If so that was a total waste of money. The new tires will have a totally different shap too them. The alignment will be useless.
Put the new tires on, put your weight in salt bags in the drivers seat and align it. You will be all set.

Robin
dude1579 (03-25-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:16 PM
Tennis_pr0
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Toe and caster won't contribute to inside tire wear, but camber will if it has excessive negative camber. If the other tires were out of tow alignment, it could be putting extra drag on the opposing tires. Your best bet, like someone already said, is to get the car aligned with the new tires on.
dude1579 (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 09:55 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

that's NORMAL not unusual. I rotate side to side on the front at about 7000 miles or when I see the inside wearing more then the outside, the rears at about 10-12000 the fronts get rotated at least twice in their life usually 3 times

Last edited by CMY SIX; 03-25-2016 at 09:56 AM.
dude1579 (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 12:17 PM
zrracer
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11, '14

You can rotate side to side as long as you do not have directional tires.
Robin
dude1579 (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 01:35 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by zrracer
You can rotate side to side as long as you do not have directional tires.
Robin
take a deep breath, think about it.... wait for it.... you CAN rotate side to side with directional tires if you mount and dismount. you want to get the inside of the tire on the outside.
dude1579 (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 02:47 PM
dude1579
Heel & Toe

Default Alignment Specs

Originally Posted by RicK T
Can you post your new (current) alignment specs? And maybe the old ones too?
As noted further down the thread, I screwed up having it aligned before putting on the new tires . Oh well, what's a few bucks for re-aligning as compared to purchasing tires again. Here are the specs of the primary angles initial and final:
Front - left caster 7.6º and 7.6º; camber -0.6º and -0.7º; toe 0.30º and -0.05º. Front right caster 7.4º and 7.5º; camber -0.8º and -0.8º; toe 0.00º and 0.15º. Total 0.30º and 0.10º.
Rear - left camber -0.3º and -0.3º; toe 0.10º and 0.05º. Rear right camber -0.6º and -0.6º; toe 0.30º and 0.00º. Total 0.40º and 0.05º. Max. Thrust Angle 0.1º and -0.0º.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:50 PM
dude1579
Heel & Toe

Well, we learn from our screw-ups. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:32 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You need to get the alignment done again. You need to find a technician who will work with you and spend some extra time to get it right. These cars are sensitive to alignment settings and you have seen the result of simply "being within spec". They need to be done as "right as possible". If you don't already have a good shop with a good technician and don't know where to go, try going to the appropriate Regional Forum for your location and ask the local members for referrals:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-discussion-9/

Then when you find someone who will work with you and hopefully knows how to do Corvettes, use these well tested Pfadt Pure Street Specs and have the technician get it as close as he possibly can. There is no "range", just as close to right on. Many, many here have followed these specs and report great results for handling and tire wear:

http://www.pfadtracing.com/docs/camb...t-settings.pdf

Good luck, let us know how you do.

Last edited by RicK T; 03-25-2016 at 04:32 PM.
dude1579 (03-25-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 04:51 PM
dude1579
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RicK T
You need to get the alignment done again. You need to find a technician who will work with you and spend some extra time to get it right. These cars are sensitive to alignment settings and you have seen the result of simply "being within spec". They need to be done as "right as possible". If you don't already have a good shop with a good technician and don't know where to go, try going to the appropriate Regional Forum for your location and ask the local members for referrals:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-discussion-9/

Then when you find someone who will work with you and hopefully knows how to do Corvettes, use these well tested Pfadt Pure Street Specs and have the technician get it as close as he possibly can. There is no "range", just as close to right on. Many, many here have followed these specs and report great results for handling and tire wear:

http://www.pfadtracing.com/docs/camb...t-settings.pdf

Good luck, let us know how you do.
Rick T. - Thank you for enlightening me on this puzzling issue. I belong to the Texas Corvette Association out of San Antonio and we're having a road trip tomorrow. I will pick fellow members' brains to see if I can locate a good, competent Corvette technician to re-align my car, and I will print out the Pfadt Pure Street Specs for reference.
I will keep you posted on how this turns out.

Rolando
Old 03-25-2016, 09:10 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
take a deep breath, think about it.... wait for it.... you CAN rotate side to side with directional tires if you mount and dismount. you want to get the inside of the tire on the outside.
Yes, on some tires. No, on others. Most of the late model GS Vettes came with Goodyear Supercar F1 Gen2 tires that were assymetric and position-specific. Each tire has only ONE mounting position. You can't switch sides even if you demount the tires.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:38 PM
zrracer
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Ok,
After a deep breath and lots of thinking...........
I believe the answer is.........
Just because u can do something it does not make it right.

Robin
Old 03-26-2016, 10:30 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is absolutely 100% correct. I've done a few time already on my 05. My right front does the same thing. Next alignment we're going to tweak the camber or toe a degree or so. all the other tires are fine.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:44 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by icntdrv55
Yes, on some tires. No, on others. Most of the late model GS Vettes came with Goodyear Supercar F1 Gen2 tires that were assymetric and position-specific. Each tire has only ONE mounting position. You can't switch sides even if you demount the tires.
I just noticed on TireRack that they are now putting the word "asymetric" in the title of the tire. Asymetric means that the inside of the tire is different from the outside. You CAN switch it from side to side, as long as the inside of the tire stays on the inside.

If you choose tires that are only Directional tires, then as CMY says you can dismount and mount them on the wheels rolling in the opposite but now correct direction on the other side of the car.

If the tires are both DIRECTIONAL AND ASYMETRIC then, no, you can't switch it side to side because it will "roll" in the opposite direction in order to keep it asymmetric (inside of tire still on the inside) whether you dismount it or not. Not many tires today are both Directional and Asymetric.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:07 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I just noticed on TireRack that they are now putting the word "asymetric" in the title of the tire. Asymetric means that the inside of the tire is different from the outside. You CAN switch it from side to side, as long as the inside of the tire stays on the inside.

If you choose tires that are only Directional tires, then as CMY says you can dismount and mount them on the wheels rolling in the opposite but now correct direction on the other side of the car.

If the tires are both DIRECTIONAL AND ASYMETRIC then, no, you can't switch it side to side because it will "roll" in the opposite direction in order to keep it asymmetric (inside of tire still on the inside) whether you dismount it or not. Not many tires today are both Directional and Asymetric.
AORoads: Yup. This is the case exactly for the tires I referenced. The GY F1 Gen2 tires came with all the 2013 Grand Sports--both coupe and convertible--that were ordered with the M6 and F55 options. Tread is both assymetric and directional, and thus, position specific. Since you've gone to the Tire Rack site, you should have noticed that there are four listings for these particular tires: RF, LF, RR, LR. What's even funnier/odd is that the prices frequently listed for each side is a few dollars different L to R.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by icntdrv55
AORoads: Yup. This is the case exactly for the tires I referenced. The GY F1 Gen2 tires came with all the 2013 Grand Sports--both coupe and convertible--that were ordered with the M6 and F55 options. Tread is both assymetric and directional, and thus, position specific. Since you've gone to the Tire Rack site, you should have noticed that there are four listings for these particular tires: RF, LF, RR, LR. What's even funnier/odd is that the prices frequently listed for each side is a few dollars different L to R.
Yes, I did notice there were four listings total for RFT tires for the '13 GS. I also noted that the tires you mentioned, Gen 2, for the rear tires, are on "closeout." This is for a tire that was introduced at least several years after the GY F1 Supercar EMT which came standard on the Z51-optioned '05. Makes me wonder if there is something up with the newer tire model---maybe another model improvement. And, as I mentioned not many tires today are made w. both asymmetric and directional designations, 1 out of 7 for your car.

Get notified of new replies

To Unusual Front Tire Wear

Old 03-28-2016, 05:10 PM
zrracer
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Yes, just be sure to maintain the proper turning direction as indicated by the arrows on the sidewalls.

However, if the tires have an asymmetrical tread design, the side marked OUTSIDE must always be visible when standing beside the car.

We hope that your issue has been resolved or addressed to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 866-866-6605 (toll-free) between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. EST Monday through Friday or between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. EST on Saturday.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

Sincerely,
Dale
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
Old 03-29-2016, 09:00 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The alignment wasn't a waste just because it was done with a worn tire on it. There would have to be at least 4/32" difference from left to right to be of a concern.

Front and rear camber set to -0.45*
Caster between 7.50* to 8.00* with the right side being 0.30* higher
Front toe 0.10* total
Rear toe 0.00* total

Be very specific about camber being at -0.45* to -0.50*. Anything more than that and you'll end up with inner tire wear.

This has been a known problem with the c6 cars, especially the gs.

Unless you are an agressive driver, you'll end up seeing inside tire wear on the front using -0.80* camber. By agressive i mean take curves and corners quickly. This scrubs the outside of tires to match the amount of wear the insides will be getting.

Signed - the alignment guy

Last edited by mrr23; 03-29-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:06 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Tennis_pr0
Toe and caster won't contribute to inside tire wear, but camber will if it has excessive negative camber. If the other tires were out of tow alignment, it could be putting extra drag on the opposing tires. Your best bet, like someone already said, is to get the car aligned with the new tires on.
Toe will cause inside tire wear if it is negative

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unusual Front Tire Wear