C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP closed back pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:15 AM
Ryoga23
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NPP closed back pressure

After a lot of digging regarding the NPP systems on the forums I'm left with a (hopefully) simple question I'd like clearly answered. But before that a quick backfill on what I'm wanting.

I have an 05 vette running a magnacharger with headers and a Borla exhaust system. Problem is I'm frequently making 4 hour each way road trips and it's time for more quiet time. To be honest I'd rather hear more of the music and occasional charger whine than exhaust these days as sacreligious as it may seem.

I've been offered a potential to swap my Borlas out for someone else's NPPs, but of course I'm not NPP optioned so I need to get the box to retrofit. Timing is crucial to for this, so I had planned to just temporarily wire the valve closed for the quiet setting for a couple weeks until I could install the needed extras for mild to wild etc.

So the question is this, is there any real risk of damage due to back pressure if I run this more ,restrictive configuration - I assume that valve closed is more restrictive than regular stock exhaust..
Old 03-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

It's more restrictive (when closed) and it won't hurt a thing.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:22 AM
Ryoga23
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent. What I was hopping to hear.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2016, 12:30 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Mine would go quite rich at WOT with the flaps closed for whatever that is worth
Old 03-29-2016, 01:28 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Looking a a stock LS3 (kinda) car with the valves forced closed, the dyno graph shows a big loss (40 HP peak) in power.

Last edited by Grimlock13; 03-29-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:11 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Grimlock13
Looking a a stock LS3 (kinda) car with the valves forced closed, the dyno graph shows a big loss (40 HP peak) in power.
That was a flawed test you're referencing, since the valves were not mechanically closed, but electronically closed and that apparently affected other areas of the ECM.
The following users liked this post:
Grimlock13 (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 04:10 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
That was a flawed test you're referencing, since the valves were not mechanically closed, but electronically closed and that apparently affected other areas of the ECM.
I did not realize that.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:32 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

The ECM doesn't even control the flaps.. so why was the test flawed?
Old 03-29-2016, 12:46 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by schpenxel
The ECM doesn't even control the flaps.. so why was the test flawed?
It does when it's the OEM system, which is what that dyno test was comparing, as there is no other way to determine 3,500 RPM and WOT. The flaps on that one questionable pull were closed with the Dashlogic device which accesses the ECM in an unknown manner.

When GM runs a controlled engine dyno test and only gets a 6 HP difference at 5,900 RPM, but someone with a product to sell gets a 40 HP change on a chassis dyno, you just know there is more involved than some muffler chambers. Nobody leaves that much HP on the table because of a muffler.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:47 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

No, it doesn't. There is a separate exhaust flap or NPP controller even from the factory that connects to the CAN bus and to the exhaust solenoid. Based on info it gets from the CAN bus, i.e. RPM/throttle, it opens/closes the flaps on it's own.

I'm not saying it gains or loses HP or whatever.. just saying that the ECM doesn't control the flaps, there is a separate controller that does that, even in stock NPP vehicles.

Last edited by schpenxel; 03-29-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:44 PM
0DashLogic
Former Vendor

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
No, it doesn't. There is a separate exhaust flap or NPP controller even from the factory that connects to the CAN bus and to the exhaust solenoid. Based on info it gets from the CAN bus, i.e. RPM/throttle, it opens/closes the flaps on it's own.

I'm not saying it gains or loses HP or whatever.. just saying that the ECM doesn't control the flaps, there is a separate controller that does that, even in stock NPP vehicles.
You are correct, in fact you can install the NPP system on a non-NPP car the exhaust works exactly like factory. I don't think the exhaust module has an effect on the PCM at all. My conclusion to this is that a factory non NPP muffer flows much better than an NPP in closed mode. Even running in factory stock form, the closed valves hurt even low end power, why would we assume it would not keep hurting as exhaust flow goes up?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:48 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks, I added the factory NPP controller to my car actually.

I was the guy that sent you guys the info on all the connectors you need to add the factory NPP controller to a non-NPP car.

I don't have a log to show, but I remember when I forced the flaps closed all the time it would go extremely rich at WOT. That told me it was flowing less air at the same amount of boost/fuel, which would = rich (was in SD mode, no MAF)
Old 03-29-2016, 01:48 PM
0DashLogic
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
but someone with a product to sell gets a 40 HP change on a chassis dyno, you just know there is more involved than some muffler chambers.
I don't see how posting that sheet sells anything. If you want peak power and care about nothing else, pull the fuse. The graph was posted for informational purposes only. Too bad we didn't wire the valves closed to show that the DashControl had zero effect on the outcome. At the time I never expected it would be so controversial, hindsight I guess.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:28 PM
Tennis_pr0
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

By the time the exhaust gases reach the mufflers I don't think there would be any difference in back pressure whether the flaps are open or closed. That's why when you add a simple axle back exhaust you don't see any power gains, because that far down the exhaust system is not going to be putting any restriction due to back pressure on the manifolds.

I know there are plenty of people running crazy high HP cars with the NPP's and I've never heard of it being an issue.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:36 PM
0DashLogic
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tennis_pr0
I know there are plenty of people running crazy high HP cars with the NPP's and I've never heard of it being an issue.
NPP is always open at WOT, I am not sure what you are trying to say?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Where is the NPP controller? I sold my NPP and I want to pull those parts and send them to the new user. Can I just remove it and that's it?
Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 PM
Tennis_pr0
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DashLogic
NPP is always open at WOT, I am not sure what you are trying to say?
OP was asking if the NPP exhaust would cause an issue with back pressure. Yes the flaps open above a certain RPM, but I was answering his question specifically when the flaps are closed, not opened. His question was about back pressure when the flaps are closed.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP closed back pressure

Old 03-29-2016, 03:08 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock13
I have a stock (kinda) LS3 (meaning it only has headers and a tune), and I routinely run with my NPPs forced "closed" by the Dashlogic device, just because I don't want to draw loud attention to myself most times.

Seat of the pants, I cannot tell any difference between fully open NPP and fully closed NPP. Even grabbing the gears, it feels about the same amount of wheel spin too.

So my bet is, it is not much of a HP loss between full open NPP and full closed NPP on an LS3, certainly not 40 HP

Now if I get to installing a supercharger, I'll monitor my AFR and compare to see what it is really doing to the engine, before I run fully closed for any period of time under load.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:09 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
Where is the NPP controller? I sold my NPP and I want to pull those parts and send them to the new user. Can I just remove it and that's it?
http://www.tonkinonlineparts.com/sho...roduct=6317892

Old 03-29-2016, 04:00 PM
0DashLogic
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
In one of the cubbies in the hatch area. The solenoid and reserve tank is under the car

Quick Reply: NPP closed back pressure