C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California legal C6 motor upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 01:05 AM
sethracer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default California legal C6 motor upgrade?

My 2005 Corvette, LS2 6-sp, is now getting older, coming up on 12 years. It runs fine. But I am thinking of replacing the motor with a stronger, newer LS motor. My motor is a 24/slot position sensor motor, most of the LS3s and later are 58/slots. Also, I live in California, so I have to maintain smog legality. No long-tube headers, etc. I thought about the following combination. Go to a slightly larger displacement motor, 6.2L with the crank retaining the 24/slot sensor, ported LS3 heads and install a heartbeat blower kit from Magnuson. I would install a complete LS7 exhaust system manifolds to exhaust tips, as well as the stock LS7 cam. The thrust of this is to have a powerful motor which will still pass all California smog requirements. Any thoughts? Who might build this motor for me? Am I asking too much?
Old 04-01-2016, 12:32 AM
Flyr282
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Contact Cunningham Motorsports or Synergy Motorsports. Both good shops in Ca. Synergy is up in your area. I have a Z06 and I have a CMS cam in my car. You can notice there's a cam but its not that aggressive. Both shops offer a "smog" cam that will still pass a sniffer test, although most of ca did away with that. You could go with a Fast or msd intake, they come with CARB stickers. Also a bigger throttle body. I may also have a full Z06 exhaust for sale too off my car, right now I have the factory H pipe and mufflers for sale. Changing up to long tubes soon.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Awesome suggestions. Are the MSD fully CARB certified yet? I just bought my LS7 MSD 3-4 months back and it was still "CARB Certification Pending" with no sticker.

Just FYI.

Last edited by Is2scooby; 04-04-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Flyr282
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure I've got a ported fast 102 on my car and it came with a sticker.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:07 AM
sethracer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default California motor

Thank You great ideas.

Originally Posted by Flyr282
Contact Cunningham Motorsports or Synergy Motorsports. Both good shops in Ca. Synergy is up in your area. I have a Z06 and I have a CMS cam in my car. You can notice there's a cam but its not that aggressive. Both shops offer a "smog" cam that will still pass a sniffer test, although most of ca did away with that. You could go with a Fast or msd intake, they come with CARB stickers. Also a bigger throttle body. I may also have a full Z06 exhaust for sale too off my car, right now I have the factory H pipe and mufflers for sale. Changing up to long tubes soon.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:51 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

Might never get checked, but...
Ca smog laws do not allow you to change the engine, unless you comply with the Y/M emissions of that engine if later than the chassis, IIRC.
Why not just do the same mods to your LS2? Many folks here are running those to great HP numbers with reliability too...
Originally Posted by sethracer
My 2005 Corvette, LS2 6-sp, is now getting older, coming up on 12 years. It runs fine. But I am thinking of replacing the motor with a stronger, newer LS motor. My motor is a 24/slot position sensor motor, most of the LS3s and later are 58/slots. Also, I live in California, so I have to maintain smog legality. No long-tube headers, etc. I thought about the following combination. Go to a slightly larger displacement motor, 6.2L with the crank retaining the 24/slot sensor, ported LS3 heads and install a heartbeat blower kit from Magnuson. I would install a complete LS7 exhaust system manifolds to exhaust tips, as well as the stock LS7 cam. The thrust of this is to have a powerful motor which will still pass all California smog requirements. Any thoughts? Who might build this motor for me? Am I asking too much?
Old 04-06-2016, 03:22 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Chiselchst
Might never get checked, but...
Ca smog laws do not allow you to change the engine, unless you comply with the Y/M emissions of that engine if later than the chassis, IIRC.
Why not just do the same mods to your LS2? Many folks here are running those to great HP numbers with reliability too...
If you can get past the visual test you can swap motors without issue.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:31 PM
seevi
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't believe you can change the 58 tooth LS3 reluctor wheel, and even if you could it would ne a lot of work. Best to replace your E40 with an E38 ECU.
The following users liked this post:
sethracer (04-10-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 09:40 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by seevi
I don't believe you can change the 58 tooth LS3 reluctor wheel, and even if you could it would ne a lot of work. Best to replace your E40 with an E38 ECU.
Yes, you can easily swap the reluctor wheel.

Although the crank has to be out of the motor to change it, doing it that way would be a LOT easier than trying to change the PCM and all the associated electronics.
The following users liked this post:
sethracer (04-10-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To California legal C6 motor upgrade?

Quick Reply: California legal C6 motor upgrade?