C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up 2008 C6, question about a noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 11:35 PM
Brad-Vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just picked up 2008 C6, question about a noise

Hi guys,
Just picked up a Triple Black Vert C6 today. I have 2 questions for the technical pros:

1.) when trying to open the door, it doesn't always open all the way on the 1st try, the door gets partially unlocked, but i have to press it again to actually open the door. sometimes tho it does unlock all the way on 1st touch.

2.) when unlocking doors, or pressing the brake peddle (when car is off) i can hear some electrical sounds from under dash, kinda sounds like a laptop harddrive searching the drive. Here is the sound: https://*******/Vzue

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:36 PM
Brad-Vette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also while trying to recreate the sound when pressing the brake peddle, after pressing the brake peddle a few times, my emergency lights flash a few times, is this normal?
Old 04-17-2016, 12:36 AM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

1) I've had the same thing happen on my '06. I've equated it to I'm not pressing the button long enough to give it enough time to open fully.

2) I also had/have these noises. Used to happen when pressing brake pedal, using turn signal, turning car on and off, sometimes even just because it wanted to, almost any time I did anything in the car. Came close to returning car during the 5 day "take home and test it out" period because it was driving me crazy. Still happens when starting and stopping the car, but the rest of the times it used to happen magically stopped. Still don't know if it's supposed to happen at all, but just on start and stop I can deal with.

EDIT: Not sure about the emergency light thing.

Last edited by LifeInAVette; 04-17-2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Update to original post
Old 04-17-2016, 08:41 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

The door not opening on the first try is very likely caused by the door pad electrical board being corroded , it needs to be taken apart and cleaned...This happened on my C6 and cleaning the board solved the problem..There is a video showing how to fix this problem on youtube...WW

Last edited by WW7; 04-17-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:10 PM
jesse82nc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just hold the button longer when trying to exit the car. I had the same problem when I first got mine.

The sound you hear are the mechanical relays for things like the brake pedal to activate the brake lights. It just happens that they are in the passenger foot well, rather than somewhere out of the way from you hearing it. All cars have these.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:26 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by c5vette
Hi guys,
Just picked up a Triple Black Vert C6 today. I have 2 questions for the technical pros:

1.) when trying to open the door, it doesn't always open all the way on the 1st try, the door gets partially unlocked, but i have to press it again to actually open the door. sometimes tho it does unlock all the way on 1st touch.

2.) when unlocking doors, or pressing the brake peddle (when car is off) i can hear some electrical sounds from under dash, kinda sounds like a laptop harddrive searching the drive. Here is the sound: https://*******/Vzue

Thanks for the help!
Hey c5vette,

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing this door concern, in addition to the electrical noise. I know that you are reaching out for technical advice from other forum members, but I’d be happy to provide an additional layer of assistance as well.

Please feel free to send me your full contact info, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership if you’d like me to look into this further on my end.

Enjoy your day,

Corey K.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-18-2016, 03:34 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by LifeInAVette
1) I've had the same thing happen on my '06. I've equated it to I'm not pressing the button long enough to give it enough time to open fully.

2) I also had/have these noises. Used to happen when pressing brake pedal, using turn signal, turning car on and off, sometimes even just because it wanted to, almost any time I did anything in the car. Came close to returning car during the 5 day "take home and test it out" period because it was driving me crazy. Still happens when starting and stopping the car, but the rest of the times it used to happen magically stopped. Still don't know if it's supposed to happen at all, but just on start and stop I can deal with.

EDIT: Not sure about the emergency light thing.
Hey LifeInAVette,

I’d be happy to investigate this noise concern on your behalf if that’s something you’re interested in. I certainly understand how this could be frustrating, so please feel free to send me your full contact info, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealer in a private message.

I am always here to help!

Corey K.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Get notified of new replies

To Just picked up 2008 C6, question about a noise

Quick Reply: Just picked up 2008 C6, question about a noise