C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic balancer install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Hittinboost
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic balancer install question

Well I got the rack out and about to install a ATI balancer, pinned, with an ARP bolt. But I'm getting some conflicting info from the forum as far as install goes.

Some say to use the stock bolt to draw the balancer on and torque to 240ft-lbs. Then install new bolt to 37ft-lbs and 140 degrees.

Others say since its being installed with an ARP bolt, just to seat the balancer (I rented a balancer install tool) and simply torque the ARP bolt to 235ft-lbs using loctite and thats it. Not to do the 37ft-lbs and 140 degree turn cause its not a stretch bolt like factory.

How should I go about this?
Old 04-23-2016, 06:07 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Try checking the ARP website for a definitive answer. I went 37# plus 140 degrees but that was with a GM torque to yield bolt. Pretty sure that 235# is more in line for the ARP based on what I have seen recently.
I have also read that ARP suggests using their lube instead of Loctite.
I have no positive answer but if I were you, I would get the correct info from ARP. You don't want that grenade going off down there.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 04-23-2016 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:45 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Try checking the ARP website for a definitive answer. I went 37# plus 140 degrees but that was with a GM torque to yield bolt. Pretty sure that 235# is more in line for the ARP based on what I have seen recently.
I have also read that ARP suggests using their lube instead of Loctite.
I have no positive answer but if I were you, I would get the correct info from ARP. You don't want that grenade going off down there.
Sounds right.
DO NOT use a bolt to run up the HB on the crankshaft, use the correct install tool.
APR Instructions from their web site;
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
APR INSTRUCTIONS.pdf (104.5 KB, 328 views)
Old 04-23-2016, 09:08 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

If you are going to pin the damper just use ARP thread lubricant and all you need is 130 lbs torque. Of course more won't hurt anything but it ain't coming lose though.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:53 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

ARP recommendation is 235 ft lbs for their bolt if memory serves. I sure as hell wouldn't leave it at 130 ft lbs.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:26 AM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 393 Posts

yup, use their lube and 235 ft. lbs. even with the pinning.

Also make sure to get the red RTV on both sides of the washer.

And ditto on NOT using the factory bolt to draw the hub on. Great way to yank the threads out of the crank. You said you rented a balancer install tool, so use that to draw the hub on. I heated mine in the oven to 250 degrees for 30 minutes thinking it might help, nah, I dont think it did anything.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:13 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Hittinboost
Well I got the rack out and about to install a ATI balancer, pinned, with an ARP bolt. But I'm getting some conflicting info from the forum as far as install goes.

Some say to use the stock bolt to draw the balancer on and torque to 240ft-lbs. Then install new bolt to 37ft-lbs and 140 degrees.

Others say since its being installed with an ARP bolt, just to seat the balancer (I rented a balancer install tool) and simply torque the ARP bolt to 235ft-lbs using loctite and thats it. Not to do the 37ft-lbs and 140 degree turn cause its not a stretch bolt like factory.

How should I go about this?
once installed with hb installation tool remove and seat with your old hb bolt.remove old bolt and discard.then install ARP bolt with loctite and torque to 240-250 ft/lb. you do not use the torque to yield procedure with the ARP bolt

Last edited by irok; 04-24-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:50 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah, already been stated.. but I'll say it again, DO NOT use the stock bolt to pull the balancer on. Use a balancer install tool

You can use the old bolt to ensure the balancer is seated all the way by installing it and torquing it to 240 ft lbs or whatever, then remove it and install the ARP bolt for the final go. But don't use the old bolt to try to pull the pulley on.. there are surprisingly few threads engaged even with the balancer IS installed all the way.. much less when it's not.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:21 PM
Hittinboost
Intermediate

Ok. Let me ask this...from what I understand the balancer doesn't get fully seated flush to the crank snout. There needs to be a certain hub snout depth. That's understandable. And to achieve that proper depth I'll use an install tool to draw the balancer on. But what is keeping the balancer from seating flush, or even seating a bit further on the crank when the final crank bolt is torqued down. You'd think that'd draw the pulley on even more and screw up the hub snout depth.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:02 PM
irok
Safety Car

Default this

Ok. Let me ask this...from what I understand the balancer doesn't get fully seated flush to the crank snout. There needs to be a certain hub snout depth. That's understandable. And to achieve that proper depth I'll use an install tool to draw the balancer on. But what is keeping the balancer from seating flush, or even seating a bit further on the crank when the final crank bolt is torqued down. You'd think that'd draw the pulley on even more and screw up the hub snout depth.
yes the hb seats on the crank snout.you can not seat it any deeper than it has to go as the crank snout will stop it from going any deeper.the measurement 2.40-4.48mm given is to make sure it is fully seated measuring from the front face of the installed balancer bore to the crank snout.if your measurement is not in this range your balancer is not seated

Last edited by irok; 04-25-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:45 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

It does not seat against the crank snout. There's a gap between the end of the crank snout and the balancer... like you just said.

The back of the balancer will seat up against the lower timing gear which stops it from going any further once you get it on all the way. The point of all the torquing is to get it to seat all the way down so it doesn't move later.

Last edited by schpenxel; 04-24-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:47 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Back of the balancer will be against the lower timing gear once it's on all the way. That is the point of all the torque with old bolt, remove, install new bolt etc, i.e. to get it seated all the way down BEFORE doing the final torquing.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:41 PM
irok
Safety Car

Originally Posted by schpenxel
It does not seat against the crank snout. There's a gap between the end of the crank snout and the balancer... like you just said.

The back of the balancer will seat up against the lower timing gear which stops it from going any further once you get it on all the way. The point of all the torquing is to get it to seat all the way down so it doesn't move later.
the opposite end not the end where you take your measurement.regardless you can not install it any deeper than it has to be

Last edited by irok; 04-24-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:44 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
ARP recommendation is 235 ft lbs for their bolt if memory serves. I sure as hell wouldn't leave it at 130 ft lbs.
My damper has come lose with red thread lock and 240 lbs torq but not with pins and blue thread lock at 130 lbs torq as recomended by Innovators West fot their pinned damper is possible ATI may recomend different but will nice to know what they say.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:47 AM
Hittinboost
Intermediate

Thanks allot fellas, you've been great help!

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic balancer install question

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer install question