C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deep vibration at 75 and above...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 12:12 PM
deaton76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deep vibration at 75 and above...

Hey guys I have an 09 m6 with 30k miles on it. Car's been great, but noticing now(which it didn't used to) a really low deep vibration coming from the car... it's noticeable at 80 and above. Also, the vibration is still there with the engine at idle and clutch disengaged at that speed. The steering wheel doesn't shutter, and this doesn't really feel like unbalanced tires as I know what that feels like. Also, I've noticed vibration when accelerating hard, especially if I'm changing lanes and the car loads that side(can feel the vibration come from that side) which at the time was the passenger side... It's not exactly the same vibration at cruise but think they may be related since they are a very low frequency... Anyone have an opinion? It seems to be coming from the rear, so I'm thinking rear axle, bent hub, or bent rim... maybe the differential...
Old 04-26-2016, 01:22 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

Only a guess but are the lugnuts tight? Also, has there been any suspension work done to the car?
Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Had very similar problem on my 08 at 20,000 miles. It was the right front wheel bearing. Car was under extended warranty and the dealer gave me all kinds of excuses because they couldn't identify it on the rack and said they could not legally drive the car above the speed limit. They finally changed the wheel bearing (hub assembly) under warranty after I threated to pull all our company business(shame to have to resort to that).

Originally Posted by deaton76
Hey guys I have an 09 m6 with 30k miles on it. Car's been great, but noticing now(which it didn't used to) a really low deep vibration coming from the car... it's noticeable at 80 and above. Also, the vibration is still there with the engine at idle and clutch disengaged at that speed. The steering wheel doesn't shutter, and this doesn't really feel like unbalanced tires as I know what that feels like. Also, I've noticed vibration when accelerating hard, especially if I'm changing lanes and the car loads that side(can feel the vibration come from that side) which at the time was the passenger side... It's not exactly the same vibration at cruise but think they may be related since they are a very low frequency... Anyone have an opinion? It seems to be coming from the rear, so I'm thinking rear axle, bent hub, or bent rim... maybe the differential...
Old 04-27-2016, 10:32 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by deaton76
Do you remember hitting anything, large pot hole? If not, I doubt anything is bent; CV joints, bearing/hub assembly comes to mind.

Last edited by extrapilot; 04-27-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:36 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Wheel bearings are first that comes to mind.

Easy enough to check each one. Just jack up the wheel. Front wheels can be checked at the 12:00 & 6:00 position on the tire. PUSH PULL the tire and see if you can feel any SLOP in the wheel hub assembly. Theoretically, you should NOT feel any lost motion but you may feel a very little bit.

On the rear wheels, you can also PUSH PULL at the 3:00 & 9:00 position.

Rotate each front tire/rim assy and see if you feel any abnormal vibration/roughness or noise. The rear tires can not easily be rotated unless both tires are off the ground and drivetrain in out of gear.

Even though they may pass the above test, doesn't always mean that they are NOT still an issue as the bearing inside the HUB could be damaged and the issues only show up when the wheel is dynamic.

This statement points directly at a wheel hub/bearing issue!

" especially if I'm changing lanes and the car loads that side(can feel the vibration come from that side)"

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 04-27-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:19 PM
deaton76
Intermediate

I did hit a pothole pretty hard a couple weeks ago, but that was the front... The vibration feels like it's coming from the rear, but if it's a hub bearing, I probably wouldn't be able to discern where the vibration is coming from...
Old 04-27-2016, 02:21 PM
deaton76
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Wheel bearings are first that comes to mind.

Easy enough to check each one. Just jack up the wheel. Front wheels can be checked at the 12:00 & 6:00 position on the tire. PUSH PULL the tire and see if you can feel any SLOP in the wheel hub assembly. Theoretically, you should NOT feel any lost motion but you may feel a very little bit.

On the rear wheels, you can also PUSH PULL at the 3:00 & 9:00 position.

Rotate each front tire/rim assy and see if you feel any abnormal vibration/roughness or noise. The rear tires can not easily be rotated unless both tires are off the ground and drivetrain in out of gear.

Even though they may pass the above test, doesn't always mean that they are NOT still an issue as the bearing inside the HUB could be damaged and the issues only show up when the wheel is dynamic.

This statement points directly at a wheel hub/bearing issue!

" especially if I'm changing lanes and the car loads that side(can feel the vibration come from that side)"

Bill
Thanks for the tip. I will do that and see if I notice anything out of the ordinary.

Get notified of new replies

To Deep vibration at 75 and above...

Quick Reply: Deep vibration at 75 and above...