C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer blew my engine.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 02:09 AM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Dealer blew my engine.

So today the selling dealer of my 2010 Grand Sport called and told me I needed to bring the car in so they could finish the PDI so the bank would fund my loan, told me it would take 1/2 to and hour. I told it down and they took it in the shop, of course I'm not leaving my baby alone with them so I wandered around looking at portly challengers (of course all automatics, wussy cars) while they had it. I went into the shop and they had it on the lift checking tread depth, I almost took it to the Chevy dealer who has several corvette techs to have the oil changed but there was 8% oil life left so I was going to either change it myself or take it to Chevy Monday. I almost told my salesman to not touch the oil but I didn't, my mistake. I walked outside just in time to see the techs pushing my car back into the bay. I'm like, oh no, that's not good. They shut the door, I walk in the man door and there's smoke rolling out of my car and a tech in my seat yelling at the other tech "dude, did you hydro lock it?" I asked the tech what he did and he told me he changed the oil. I asked how much oil did you put in? He said 10 1/2 quarts. I'm not sure where he figure that out from. This is a Dodge dealer. When he pulled the stick out of the sump reservoir, it was full to the top where the handle is and still looked used. He said it won't start. I said loudly, F%#k!!! I'm pretty sure he drained the small section of the oil pan but did not drain the sump and added 10 1/2 quarts in the valve cover like a moron and over filled my engine which as you know, blew up my engine. I was angry as hell, sick to my stomache and wanted to cry all at once! I had to walk away or I was going to snap. My salesman came and found me and told me the tech pulled a plug and shot oil every where but assured me my car was fine. I've been researching and reading all about the Z06, ZR1, GS for years. Dreaming of some day owning one. I know these cars inside out, upside down and everywhere in between and I knew it was not fine. They got it running somehow. The service writer came and got me and said the engine is smoking and knocking. They are taking it to the Chevy dealer Monday morning and having them look at it. I know the engine is done, you all know the engine is done.
My question is this,
Will my car getting a genuine GM performance parts LS3 crate engine devalue my car in the future? Will this show up on a car fax? 30 or 50 years from now, is numbers matching going to be an issue with my baby getting a heart transplant?
I have only had this car for 2 weeks and I fallen in love with every square inch of it. I don't beat on it or any of my vehicles. This car will not be daily driven but will be driven. Should I demand my original engine along with my crate engine and since the loan has not been funded yet, do they owe me for depreciation and if so, what would be fair?
2010 3LT manual GS with 21,000 miles. It's obivously been pampered and well cared for all its life and I intend to keep it that way.
I appreciate your time and opinion so please let me know.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:29 AM
geagle.2001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I think the best course of action is void the sale and get all your money back and buy another car. Take notes and write down everything you saw and heard the mechanics say. You mentioned something about the bank. That would suggest the sale hasn't been finalized yet? I would get all your money back and run. There are plenty of other pampered cars out there for sale. GM made enough of them.
What state are you in? There are many consumer protection laws that may be of assistance. I would contact a lawyer if necessary. I'm only licensed in Wisconsin but if that happens to be your state I may be able to help point you in the right direction.
The following users liked this post:
Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 03:36 AM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by geagle.2001
Sorry to hear that. I think the best course of action is void the sale and get all your money back and buy another car. Take notes and write down everything you saw and heard the mechanics say. You mentioned something about the bank. That would suggest the sale hasn't been finalized yet? I would get all your money back and run. There are plenty of other pampered cars out there for sale. GM made enough of them.
What state are you in? There are many consumer protection laws that may be of assistance. I would contact a lawyer if necessary. I'm only licensed in Wisconsin but if that happens to be your state I may be able to help point you in the right direction.
I'm in Washington state. I love the car though. I haven't decided what I'm going to do. This is my perfect car I've dreamed about. The Chevy dealer that will be taking care of it is very corvette oriented and has a reputation for being the go to corvette dealer and service department. I'll be going there mondaymorning to talk to them about it. Until they get the car in their hands and evaluate what all is damaged, I can't make a sound decision. If the Dodge dealer try's any sketchy crap, I will walk!
Old 05-01-2016, 06:30 AM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by geagle.2001
This advice is spot on.

He should walk away and find a new mistress, this one just asked him to marry her.
Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:43 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjhctrapp
So today the selling dealer of my 2010 Grand Sport called and told me I needed to bring the car in so they could finish the PDI so the bank would fund my loan, told me it would take 1/2 to and hour. I told it down and they took it in the shop, of course I'm not leaving my baby alone with them so I wandered around looking at portly challengers (of course all automatics, wussy cars) while they had it. I went into the shop and they had it on the lift checking tread depth, I almost took it to the Chevy dealer who has several corvette techs to have the oil changed but there was 8% oil life left so I was going to either change it myself or take it to Chevy Monday. I almost told my salesman to not touch the oil but I didn't, my mistake. I walked outside just in time to see the techs pushing my car back into the bay. I'm like, oh no, that's not good. They shut the door, I walk in the man door and there's smoke rolling out of my car and a tech in my seat yelling at the other tech "dude, did you hydro lock it?" I asked the tech what he did and he told me he changed the oil. I asked how much oil did you put in? He said 10 1/2 quarts. I'm not sure where he figure that out from. This is a Dodge dealer. When he pulled the stick out of the sump reservoir, it was full to the top where the handle is and still looked used. He said it won't start. I said loudly, F%#k!!! I'm pretty sure he drained the small section of the oil pan but did not drain the sump and added 10 1/2 quarts in the valve cover like a moron and over filled my engine which as you know, blew up my engine. I was angry as hell, sick to my stomache and wanted to cry all at once! I had to walk away or I was going to snap. My salesman came and found me and told me the tech pulled a plug and shot oil every where but assured me my car was fine. I've been researching and reading all about the Z06, ZR1, GS for years. Dreaming of some day owning one. I know these cars inside out, upside down and everywhere in between and I knew it was not fine. They got it running somehow. The service writer came and got me and said the engine is smoking and knocking. They are taking it to the Chevy dealer Monday morning and having them look at it. I know the engine is done, you all know the engine is done.
My question is this,
Will my car getting a genuine GM performance parts LS3 crate engine devalue my car in the future? Will this show up on a car fax? 30 or 50 years from now, is numbers matching going to be an issue with my baby getting a heart transplant?
I have only had this car for 2 weeks and I fallen in love with every square inch of it. I don't beat on it or any of my vehicles. This car will not be daily driven but will be driven. Should I demand my original engine along with my crate engine and since the loan has not been funded yet, do they owe me for depreciation and if so, what would be fair?
2010 3LT manual GS with 21,000 miles. It's obivously been pampered and well cared for all its life and I intend to keep it that way.
I appreciate your time and opinion so please let me know.
numbers matching in this car will never mean anything to anyone but you.it will never have any collector car value to anyone even if it had the original undamaged engine.If you end up keeping the car tell them the only acceptable solution would be a new crate engine.
The following 3 users liked this post by irok:
jp_tt_awd (05-02-2016), MBB (05-29-2016), Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I would ask for $8k off and take the opportunity to build a 416 CI out of that block.
Good luck.
Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 10:14 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

I would just get a new crate motor, BUT make sure that is a DRY SUMP HAND MADE LS3 not a regular LS3! few difference in both, or else Fack em, and take your money back! There is plenty fish in the sea! I wouldnt worry about motor number though, it aint a collection car!
Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 10:31 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Now is the time to get them to get you a big block crate motor!
Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 10:45 AM
Jake5670
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Now is the time to get them to get you a big block crate motor!
Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Void the sale and walk away.
The following 4 users liked this post by Biggus Blockus:
cashs_mom (09-29-2016), jwd (05-05-2016), Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016), SteveDoten@ARH (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 11:36 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Leave it.
It's always going to be in the back of your mind with this one.
Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 12:02 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus Blockus
This. There are plenty out there.
Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 12:32 PM
fevest
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would see if the chevy dealer is going with a new engine from chevy. The correct engine. I don't see it hurting your value as you can document the problem and a new engine from gm.
As for collector value. Unless you are planning on keeping the car for 35 or more years. It is not going to be collectable. Plus don't plan on driving it if that is your plan.
Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 01:37 PM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fevest
I would see if the chevy dealer is going with a new engine from chevy. The correct engine. I don't see it hurting your value as you can document the problem and a new engine from gm.
As for collector value. Unless you are planning on keeping the car for 35 or more years. It is not going to be collectable. Plus don't plan on driving it if that is your plan.
They can't do an oil change, what are the odds they will get an engine swap right.
The following 3 users liked this post by jashmore1234:
Geno94 (05-28-2016), Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016), SteveDoten@ARH (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 02:19 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Biggus Blockus
But I'd want compensation for the time and effort you will be going through to find a replacement. I'd also want a price difference adjustment for the new car too.

IMHO, I'd look for an '11 with the F55 option. Once you experience it, you'll never want anything less.
Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 02:23 PM
gbrtng
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjhctrapp
I'm in Washington state. I love the car though. I haven't decided what I'm going to do. This is my perfect car I've dreamed about. The Chevy dealer that will be taking care of it is very corvette oriented and has a reputation for being the go to corvette dealer and service department. I'll be going there mondaymorning to talk to them about it. Until they get the car in their hands and evaluate what all is damaged, I can't make a sound decision. If the Dodge dealer try's any sketchy crap, I will walk!
I would walk away, BUT if you insist on keeping the car, negotiate a comprehensive extended warranty paid for in full by the selling dealer. You need protection and peace of mind most of all.
Rjhctrapp (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 03:40 PM
77vette05
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks. Seems like most dealers chevy or whatever else have no clue what there doing. Good luck with.

Last edited by 77vette05; 05-01-2016 at 03:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer blew my engine.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:40 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

I won't settle for anything less than a genuine GM Performance Parts hand built LS3 crate engine. I'm going done tomorrow morning and talking with the Chevy dealer. It was not a Chevy dealer that sold me the car, it was a Dodge dealer, hence why I didn't want them touching the oil system in the first place. Roy Robinson Chevrolet has seasoned Corvette techs that know what they are doing. I trust them. If the Dodge dealer try's any crap, I'll take my business else where. Thank you all and I'll keep you updated.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Rjhctrapp
Racer

Originally Posted by fevest
This is my dream car so yes it will be with me the rest of my life and my wife's also. She also loves the car and is her dream car. She listened to me for 16 years about my love of the corvette and especially the C6 and I went nuts over the Grand Sport in 2010. That AZZ, I love that AZZ! The entire car is beautiful from every angle, but the rear is like a fine ladies rump! I love it! I miss it! I want it back!
Old 05-01-2016, 05:59 PM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Wait and see what the Gm dealer says, if they want to repair, run fast, if they say a crate engine, sure i would do it, the car sounds mint and is what you searched for. i would suggest putting the preasure on the Dog dealer, to let the Gm shop do the swap, as they KNOW what they are doing.
gl
Rjhctrapp (05-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Dealer blew my engine.