C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help found something in my oil.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 01:26 AM
kricket
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help found something in my oil.

I was changing my oil tonight to send in an oil analysis and when I pulled the second plug it had a little tiny spring on it. I'm guessing it came from a valve seal? Some smaller metal shavings too. I was going to have the oil analysis done to see how my WCCH heads with bronze valve guides are doing. The rebuilt heads have about 3000 miles on them now. Any advice on my next steps to take would be great 07 Z06.

Last edited by kricket; 07-08-2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:54 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,012 Likes on 2,171 Posts

Spring for either a Valve oil seal, or the spring for the timing chain cover seal for the HB or rear main seal.

And yes, you get to strip the entire engine down to figure out the problem and damage, as well as replace a lot of oil cooling parts that there is no way to flush the debries out of them.

With luck, it one of the valve oils seals, and get to put the cost of the repair back on how every did the head work. Hence part of working on LS-7 heads is to check the vavle guides to vavle stems wiggle, and if there is a ton of lash that the new SS vavle steams are not re-solving, then the heads need to have the vavle guides replaced isntead. Hence with the vavle having way to much lash/wiggle, it going to trash valve guide seals.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:08 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

There are no springs on the crank shaft seals...That could only come from the valve stem seal. It is a fairly easy fix, if you're handy. If you pull the valve covers, you should be able to see which one is missing a seal. Might be a good idea to make sure none of the other ones are close to coming loose as well.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:24 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
There are no springs on the crank shaft seals...That could only come from the valve stem seal. It is a fairly easy fix, if you're handy. If you pull the valve covers, you should be able to see which one is missing a seal. Might be a good idea to make sure none of the other ones are close to coming loose as well.

One of the easier repairs if your good at turning wrenches. Need some special tools though, air compressor would help and on head type valve spring compressor. Might be able to do without the air compressor if you bring the piston to TDC in the cylinder that you are working on. This way the valve may only drop so far when releasing the spring and retainer.
Or rip the heads off and have them do it all over again.
With the metal, I'm not to sure that came from the seal.

Last edited by extrapilot; 07-08-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:48 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by extrapilot

One of the easier repairs if your good at turning wrenches. Need some special tools though, air compressor would help and on head type valve spring compressor. Might be able to do without the air compressor if you bring the piston to TDC in the cylinder that you are working on. This way the valve may only drop so far when releasing the spring and retainer.
Or rip the heads off and have them do it all over again.
With the metal, I'm not to sure that came from the seal
I could deal with a bad valve seal at 3K miles, but those metal fragments tell a much bigger problem exists. Before you do anything, contact WCCH and/or anyone else who was involved when the heads were done. Unless you do all your own work and have the time to do it, pulling that engine and striping it to the max will not come cheap.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:15 PM
kricket
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found an exhaust valve seal destroyed by looking through the springs. Called WCCH and they were very helpful. Looks to me like the valve seals have a metal casing around them? Could that be the metal shavings? Springs are still on. I'm going to wait till Monday and see further what WCCH wants to do.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:27 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by kricket
I found an exhaust valve seal destroyed by looking through the springs. Called WCCH and they were very helpful. Looks to me like the valve seals have a metal casing around them? Could that be the metal shavings? Springs are still on. I'm going to wait till Monday and see further what WCCH wants to do.
Probably, the seal got crushed under the retainer when it slipped off the top of the guide.

Get notified of new replies

To Help found something in my oil.

Quick Reply: Help found something in my oil.