C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help: LS3, bad starter, P0307, Service Traction System

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 09:09 PM
drclaw
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need help: LS3, bad starter, P0307, Service Traction System

Hey guys,

Need some help here. One week ago, car (2008 base C6 3LT Z51 MN6 with 77K miles) ran fine after sitting for 3 days. Drove in heavy stop and go traffic in 90° heat for 45 min, then parked for 45 min. Car wouldn't start--clicked once, then "run" mode with no crank. Replaced battery, same problem. Had car towed to indy mechanic who replaced the starter. All was well.

1 week later, driving home from work in heavy traffic, 98°. Car "shudders" a little bit when engaging 1st gear from time to time. If I'm more aggressive on the throttle, it more or less goes away. Shudder isn't like a stall; it's more like rear end is weak to engage.

Worst part of commute is over. I'm on a road going 55 and slow to let the car in front of me turn. When he's clear, I shift in to 2nd (going less than 20 mph) and the car shudders with what feels like limited power to the rear wheels. DIC displays "SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM," CEL flashes, and traction icon comes on. Car returns to normal; I have all the speed and control I'm used to, and after a few seconds the DIC and IP return to normal.

It happens a couple more times: losing power to the rear end, but no more lights.

As soon as I get home I check for codes (before I shut the car off) and get P0307--misfire in cylinder 7.

-Is this a high mileage car that needs new plugs and wires?

-Did my mechanic not ground properly when installing new starter?

-or is my clutch going bad?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:55 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

The wire could come loose and cause your issue, so might be a good idea to check them.
I would probably change the plugs and wires with 77k even though it calls for a change at 100k.
The following users liked this post:
drclaw (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 AM
drclaw
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Resolved: #7 plug was cracked, causing reduced output and I really felt it when getting on the throttle in a shift. Replaced all plugs and wires. Good call, extrapilot!
Old 07-26-2016, 01:05 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Need help: LS3, bad starter, P0307, Service Traction System

Quick Reply: Need help: LS3, bad starter, P0307, Service Traction System