C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2006 quit, won't start, shows 0 oil pressure

Old 08-07-2016, 10:04 AM
Cindyanne
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2006 quit, won't start, shows 0 oil pressure

Hi, brand new to forum. Six weeks ago my car suddenly lost oil pressure (on gauge), read "reduced engine power", "low oil pressure", and then quit at the end of expressway ramp, at 10 pm, alone, and I'm such a girl!

No way to make this long story short, but I checked oil immediately. Of course it had been circulating, so saw just an oil-laden dip stick. No metal fragments, still caramel color, although was at 3% life till next change. Needless to say, it had plenty of oil. Next I threw my code reader on it and found a slew of codes. I had had knock sensor reading for ages, had the part in the car, check engine light on for awhile, but never had the time to get it changed. Lame excuse, I know, but I was working out of town 6 days a week and couldn't find anyone I could trust to stick their hands in the engine. Anyway, I couldn't get it started. Pushed the button and it tried to crank but no go. Can't remember all the codes; however, one was 0461, 0453, MAP, CAM, about 8 altogether. So, at the advice of my ex-husband, the car was towed to his buddy. Clearly a huge mistake. The guy had it for six weeks and he never called me once with updates. I called him 3x because the car was sold the morning it died! He kept telling me "don't worry, honey, I'll take care of it". Yeah, right. He took care of it all right. In six weeks he switched out the oil pump and a variety of sensors and oil sending unit. The thing would start but quit due to 0 oil pressure remaining on gauge. However, it was 60 lbs read manually. Plus reduced engine power continued to strobe in readout. He said pump was worn but no visible issues. Huh??? Okay, I'm a woman, and I do not unfortunately know exactly what's going on beneath the hood, but I've been driving dump trucks since I was 18, and pretty much have some common sense what's going on. Seeing as though there was absolutely no unusual noises (knocking, clanking, clunking) when it quit, and no metal fragments in oil or anywhere else, this thing most likely was an electrical issue. Especially when I had owned the car for five years and never ever had one single issue other that that knock sensor code. Which the engine ran amazing.

So, fast forward six weeks. My buyer still wants the car and has not questioned time frame due to his needing to sell his in order to purchase mine. Now he's ready, but my car is dead. I call the guy my ex referred me to. I tell him (nicely) if he can't fix it, I get it, but I have to take it elsewhere. What's he say? Don't worry, honey, I have a certified tech that knows these things. I'm taking it there later. Later? When and where?? Well, he wouldn't say. Instead he rushed me off the phone! Also I asked him my bill up till now and he wouldn't say! Anyway, I called my ex and he said "no!". He had had things like this happen to him and said it is unacceptable. Thank God he called the guy and said turn the car over. Here's the thing: one of my daughters works for a reputable Chevy dealer. She's the service coordinator. I would've brought it there to begin with but it was 100 miles away and I really didn't think it would lead to this nightmare. The car ran perfect till that moment!

What happens? The guy flipped because I was having it towed. He had a tow service and wanted to know why I wouldn't ask him. (I am not mentioning names here because I don't believe in bashing anyone to the public by name and oddly enough I feel bad because on a personal level, despite how annoyed I was, he seemed like a really nice person.) My rebuttal was because he always rushed me off the phone, he quits at 4 sharp, and quite frankly I didn't want to deal with him anymore. I've heard that six weeks is above and beyond ridiculous. So, he tells me I was crazy to pay $500 for a tow then the car ran great. What????? Last update was that it started but quit!! So, my other daughter dropped me off at his shop. Locked up tight at 4:15 pm, he's nowhere around. Good. Keys in cup holder. I start the vette, shows 0 oil pressure and reduced engine power! What?!! Okay, but it sounded perfect. Against my better judgment, I set out on 100 mile trip. I was over it. It ran perfect for about 10 miles still showing 0 oil pressure and reduced engine power. I pulled a hill, it hesitated around a corner, ran another mile, and then quit. This time I smelled something burning. Electrical, I was certain. Popped the hood and spotted a tiny plume of smoke on the driver's side of engine, coming from a gray wire that lead to what I believe was a spark plug. (Sorry, everyone. I'm a 4.0 in college, but not a mechanic!) Anyway, looking closer I touched that wire and all the neighboring reds and they were smoking hot to the touch. The smoke was minimal, but really?? Any smoke, to me, is bad! I'm thinking electrical all the way.

Now, mind you, this guy had the tech over and they ruled out the ECM or PCM whatever it is called for the c6. Okay, great. Glad he knew that or thought he knew that.

Fast forward to today. August 7, 2016. The car sits at a dealer awaiting Monday morning. I guess they have someone that knows vettes pretty good. I certainly hope so! My guy is flying here in the next week or two. Yes, I told him I am having it tuned for him and inspected, but, no, I haven't elaborated on what's happening because I have no idea how minor or major it is, so why lose the sale over it. I am just sick over it!

So, having said all that (sorry!), does anyone have any ideas? Again, the car ran amazing for ten miles.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Last edited by Cindyanne; 08-07-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Typos.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:03 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

oil pressure sensor, it's under the intake manifold, in the rear, manifold has to come off to access it, not a hard job, that's where I would go first. NO local tow should cost $500, $80 the most. 100 mile tow about $200-250 could be problem with wiring harness your smoke is the lead, need a good automotive electrical guy, your guy is jerking you around. your post shows no location, can't recommend a shop without that

Last edited by CMY SIX; 08-07-2016 at 11:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CMY SIX:
Cindyanne (08-09-2016), grinder11 (08-13-2021)
Old 08-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Cindyanne
6th Gear

Thanks for reply. I'm pretty sure he replaced the oil pressure sensor amongst others. Someone told him he needed GM sensors; therefore, he went back in and replaced the aftermarket one he put in. Still didn't work. I'm in Upstate NY. Car is currently at Chevrolet dealer.

Last edited by Cindyanne; 08-09-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:59 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

The dealer will be able to determine the cause of the issue pretty quickly once they get it in for service. This problem shouldn't be a major deal. Unless the manual reading wasn't actually taken and it truly is at 0psi. I think you just got jacked around by some shade tree mechanic for so long that its hard to see the light. Id give the dealer the time they need and see what they say. They have a whole team of engineers to call if they cannot figure it themselves.
The following users liked this post:
Cindyanne (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 01:35 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

It seems like a pinched wire perhaps the oil sensor harness itself I would definitely inspect those wires closely.

Like others said at the dealer will not take them long you should have your car back by now.
Cindyanne (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 05:18 AM
Cindyanne
6th Gear

Thanks Omega and xboostx! Well, I got the news very quickly Monday morning. I'm still trying to scrape my jaw off the ground! Unfortunately, it's not good. First and foremost I must stress that every single thing the first "mechanic" touched is damaged. I don't have the prognosis in front of me; however, I'll try to streamline. Wiring. Mice. I store the car in the garage of my newer home all winter; however, I leave the car parked all week where I work in the country. I've seen a lot of mice at the shop. In fact, one of the dump trucks was infiltrated earlier in the season. Smelled it baking every time I switched on the heater. Yuck. Anyway, mechanic #1 never mentioned a word about the teeth marks in the wiring. Apparently it was bad. Next, leaking oil pan; leaking everything he touched to replace an oil pump that allegedly never needed replacing. The list goes on. Professionals at dealer said I should've never attempted to drive like this. Stabilizer arm was also subject to issues due to dropping suspension. All told, initial estimate over $5,000! All I can say is the new owner should be in good shape, and I would never had forgiven myself if I sold a car with this underlying issue that happened to surface the day I made the deal over the phone. I feel good about that at least. As for mechanic number 1.... No words. The six weeks of shooting darts at my car sickens me and I feel as though I was taken advantage of. I would have appreciated it if he admitted it was over his head and handed my car back over day one. I had a diagnosis within two hours at the dealer. Lesson learned.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:54 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

A lot of multiple problems and codes can usually be as simple as a dirty or loose connector, or defective pin in the connector.
This area is one that can get overlooked and has been linked to passengers pushing on the upper floor carpet. Because the BMC unit and a host of other connections and fuse boxes, this should be checked out. It's right behind the upper floor panel on the passenger side; pulling down on the top of the carpet will reveal the hardware underneath, it looks like this.
Attached Images  
Cindyanne (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 10:51 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Cindyanne
Thanks Omega and xboostx! Well, I got the news very quickly Monday morning. I'm still trying to scrape my jaw off the ground! Unfortunately, it's not good. First and foremost I must stress that every single thing the first "mechanic" touched is damaged. I don't have the prognosis in front of me; however, I'll try to streamline. Wiring. Mice. I store the car in the garage of my newer home all winter; however, I leave the car parked all week where I work in the country. I've seen a lot of mice at the shop. In fact, one of the dump trucks was infiltrated earlier in the season. Smelled it baking every time I switched on the heater. Yuck. Anyway, mechanic #1 never mentioned a word about the teeth marks in the wiring. Apparently it was bad. Next, leaking oil pan; leaking everything he touched to replace an oil pump that allegedly never needed replacing. The list goes on. Professionals at dealer said I should've never attempted to drive like this. Stabilizer arm was also subject to issues due to dropping suspension. All told, initial estimate over $5,000! All I can say is the new owner should be in good shape, and I would never had forgiven myself if I sold a car with this underlying issue that happened to surface the day I made the deal over the phone. I feel good about that at least. As for mechanic number 1.... No words. The six weeks of shooting darts at my car sickens me and I feel as though I was taken advantage of. I would have appreciated it if he admitted it was over his head and handed my car back over day one. I had a diagnosis within two hours at the dealer. Lesson learned.
That's crazy that "mechanic" #1 missed that the wires had been chewed on from mice.
At least you have a answer to all the weird issues.

Last edited by extrapilot; 08-09-2016 at 10:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by extrapilot:
Cindyanne (08-09-2016), douglasjre (08-31-2021)
Old 08-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Dial In Corvette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rodent damage is a comp claim on your insurance. FYI
The following 2 users liked this post by Dial In Corvette:
Cindyanne (08-09-2016), douglasjre (08-31-2021)
Old 08-09-2016, 08:41 PM
Cindyanne
6th Gear

No. Seriously??
Old 08-09-2016, 09:13 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Dial In Corvette
Rodent damage is a comp claim on your insurance. FYI
yup, true statement. time to cash in on that policy before you cancel it.
Cindyanne (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 09:19 PM
Cindyanne
6th Gear

Wow. Thanks. Would have never known.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:56 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I was wondering just how long this saga was going to go on........not angry at your words, just the car thing. Hard to believe all those things going wrong from rodents as well as other causes/things. You really did get lucky driving the car as far as you did, such as to the dealer.

But, in the end, while I don't think you are one-in-a-million, for me it was refreshing to see you write that you got the car fixed right so that the next owner would have a decent vehicle. Even at great expense to yourself.

I hope no one reading this thread missed that part. It's what we all aspire to be, or should. Thank you.
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
Cindyanne (08-09-2016), johng99 (08-13-2021)
Old 08-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Cindyanne
6th Gear

Thank you. In real life it was just that, a saga. I didn't want to nag the first guy and it wound up causing a lot of anguish and stress. Looks like my insurer is going to cover the mice damage. Probably a portion of the bill; the rest will be fixing what the first guy botched. In the end all I care about is delivering a vehicle as close to perfect as I can no matter the cost. I would've made it right if it happened after he drove off as well. The guy is buying what he calls his dream car. I couldn't live with myself if I made it his nightmare. I plan on sending off to a detail shop after I get it back this week, before buyer picks it up. Massive filth including bird droppings from first guy. I wonder how he can sleep. Just saying.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:41 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Well Cindyanne I'm happy you get it done finally and that some one with the truth was there for you sorry about the bill congrats on been such stand up lady when so many man would fall far short on similar test.
Cindyanne (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 01:11 AM
RIKKI Z-06
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by xBoostx
Well Cindyanne I'm happy you get it done finally and that some one with the truth was there for you sorry about the bill congrats on been such stand up lady when so many man would fall far short on similar test.
Congrats on your integrity, we need more people like you in the world. Good Luck on your future endeavors!
The following 2 users liked this post by RIKKI Z-06:
Cindyanne (08-10-2016), grinder11 (08-13-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 05:04 PM
RPederson
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by russ472
yup, true statement. time to cash in on that policy before you cancel it.
Had the same problem with my C5. Mice in the air conditioning - twice. Insurance paid for it. I have a code saying one of my shocks is bad. I suspect mice in the wiring here also.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:47 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,605 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
The dealer will be able to determine the cause of the issue pretty quickly once they get it in for service. This problem shouldn't be a major deal. Unless the manual reading wasn't actually taken and it truly is at 0psi. I think you just got jacked around by some shade tree mechanic for so long that its hard to see the light. Id give the dealer the time they need and see what they say. They have a whole team of engineers to call if they cannot figure it themselves.
I agree with you. I find it hard to believe that any engine in any car, or any vehicle, that relies on hydrodynamic lubrication (read: pressurized plain babbit bearings) could travel 10 miles with truly zero psi oil pressure, so I don't think its really no oil pressure. You're right, the dealer will zero in on it, good or bad......
Old 08-13-2021, 01:53 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,605 Likes on 2,555 Posts

Originally Posted by RPederson
Had the same problem with my C5. Mice in the air conditioning - twice. Insurance paid for it. I have a code saying one of my shocks is bad. I suspect mice in the wiring here also.
Oooooh, didn't realize we're replying to a 5 year old 😳 post!! Little Cindy Anne has probably grown up to big Cindy by now!!

Get notified of new replies

To My 2006 quit, won't start, shows 0 oil pressure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 2006 quit, won't start, shows 0 oil pressure