C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Trick Flow 225ccs After a Broken Lifter...Opinions/Advice Please?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:05 AM
BigDaddyK
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Trick Flow 225ccs After a Broken Lifter...Opinions/Advice Please?

A few months ago my dropped oil pressure and was rattling real bad. Turns out a lifter had broke. It's at a shop now with the motor out. The previous owner had a cam in it already: 227 INT ; 23(?)9 EXH DUR@.050 lift .618 INT ; .623 EXH & lobe separation of 115. Supporting mods 1 7/8" with #3" with Hi-Flo Cats from Kooks Headers and ZR1 Bi-Mode mufflers. I think it has a few more mods but those are escaping me now and the build sheet's in the car at the shop.

Car dyno'd around 430rwhp with the mods. I like the lope and it had minimal bucking putting around in first. I think I'm going to add Trick Flow 225cc heads since the motor is out and torn apart. I've been reading about thinner gaskets, milling the heads, and lots of things. After the rebuild and heads this is the upper end of my budget for awhile so if I left everything alone (no porting, etc...) would I still see decent gains?

Are there better spec'd cams for this application? I'll probably add a Fast 102 and some sort of TB later. This is a daily driver with autocross and a track day once a year maybe. I don't mind a little bucking at slow speeds I just play with the clutch. I'd appreciate any opinions on the cam or whatever else.

Here's a quick clip of how it sounded prior.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Assuming LS2 and what are the ultimate goals and scope of the finished project will be helpful in assistance.

TFS heads make fantastic power, given the correct camshaft specification.

The camshaft you have most likely has too much duration split to be the most effective powerwise.

Typically these heads optimize with 3-4 degrees of split.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 PM
BigDaddyK
Cruising

Originally Posted by z06scentair
Assuming LS2 and what are the ultimate goals and scope of the finished project will be helpful in assistance.

TFS heads make fantastic power, given the correct camshaft specification.

The camshaft you have most likely has too much duration split to be the most effective powerwise.

Typically these heads optimize with 3-4 degrees of split.
It is an LS2 engine. End goal I suppose is 470-500rwhp. Like I said earlier this is a daily driver so I can't have something extreme. I assume there's a better cam to put in to match the heads right? G6X3? I'm having a hard time comparing cams to the one I have. Still trying to learn and read as much as I can. I'm a little time limited though.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:07 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

My advice is to call Brian Tooley Racing and speak to him about a set of TFS heads.

Brian helped design those heads for Summit racing/TFS. He can also speck you a camshaft to meet your goals.

My opinion is this TFS 220 LS1 with 62cc chambers opened to accept the lager 4" bore. The intake valves are 2.04" while the ls2 version of the 220 are 2.08". For a street driven car your better off with the smaller valve which will result in better low end throttle response.

Camshaft = 232/236

62cc chamber will bump the compression to 11.5

Until you add a FAST 92-102 the full extent of the combination will never be unveiled. I've learned this many times with the LS TFS heads.

With the above combo 470whp will be very easy even on the stingiest of dynos.

I'm not knocking LG by any means, but camshaft lobe grinds get better and easier on the valve train everyday. The G6X cams make great power, and so do newer designs but with much less aggressive designs by today's standards.

Best of luck.

Last edited by z06scentair; 08-30-2016 at 11:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BigDaddyK (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 06:04 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

The above information that Z06 gave you is spot on. I just installed a set of Tony Mamo TF casting 220 heads on my LS a few weeks ago. Mods before the heads were 230/234 .612/.598 114 cam, TSP 1 7/8 headers, FAST 102, port TB and a Halltech intake. During my head install I had my FAST ported and added Yella Terra rockers. I have not had it tuned yet but plan to this weekend if my tuner can fit me in. Here are a couple shots of those heads.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:51 AM
BigDaddyK
Cruising

Originally Posted by Brandon619
The above information that Z06 gave you is spot on. I just installed a set of Tony Mamo TF casting 220 heads on my LS a few weeks ago. Mods before the heads were 230/234 .612/.598 114 cam, TSP 1 7/8 headers, FAST 102, port TB and a Halltech intake. During my head install I had my FAST ported and added Yella Terra rockers. I have not had it tuned yet but plan to this weekend if my tuner can fit me in. Here are a couple shots of those heads.
Looks good Brandon. What kind of power were you making before the new heads? Where did you buy your cam from and how's it drive around town. Sound clip?

Last edited by BigDaddyK; 09-01-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:14 AM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyK
Looks good Brandon. What kind of power were you making before the new heads? Where did you buy your cam from and how's it drive around town. Sound clip?
Before the heads my car made 425 rwhp on a random dyno with a street tune. For reference a stock C6 Z06 on the same dyno puts down 418 rwhp. I purchased my cam through Peaks Speed Shop, specs are 230/234 .612/.598 114. Here is a sound clip with the cam and my bolt ons. I purchased this cam for its balance of power and drivability. This cam drives great no surging at all and I was very happy on my purchase.

Here is a quick idle video of my car after the head swap, the Bimode muffler were closed.

Last edited by Brandon619; 09-01-2016 at 08:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BigDaddyK (09-01-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Adding Trick Flow 225ccs After a Broken Lifter...Opinions/Advice Please?

Quick Reply: Adding Trick Flow 225ccs After a Broken Lifter...Opinions/Advice Please?