C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Brake Booster Front Vacuum Seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 08:21 PM
JonRogers
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Brake Booster Front Vacuum Seal

I have a 2008 Corvette Z51 (81k mi) and traced a hissing sound to my brake booster. The check valve was ruled out previously. Today I removed the master cylinder from the front of the brake booster and found that the "front vacuum seal" has a tear in it. Pictures of the bad seal are below, and the link shows a cross-section of a C3's brake booster, but it illustrates the seal (or grommet) I'm looking for.

The local parts stores came up empty, and I got in touch with Gene at Cultrag Performance who said they didn't have that part either. (Thanks to Gene for the quick reply on a holiday weekend!)

Has anyone had to replace this part? Right now, I don't see a reason to replace the whole brake booster since this seal is the problem. I'm planning to call the dealer parts desk on Tuesday or find a salvage yard.

Pics follow:

http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...ic_2_large.jpg

Front vacuum seal removed from brake booster.

Cracked seal on the side that faces the master cylinder.

Last edited by JonRogers; 09-04-2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Added plans for where to look next.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:51 PM
JonRogers
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found it!

For those who may run into the same problem, I was able to track down a "Brake Booster Master Cylinder Plunger" from Corvette Recycling. They even got it out the door the same day.

My local dealer said that GM only sells the brake booster as a unit, and there's no rebuild kit available either.

Quick Reply: Looking for Brake Booster Front Vacuum Seal