C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help please!! Z06 not shifting properly

Old 09-05-2016, 05:54 PM
seanvi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help please!! Z06 not shifting properly

So for awhile my 2006 Z06 has not wanted to shift into 1st gear from neutral while stopped, it would grind. I had been putting it into 2nd and shifting into 1st and it was fine. Last night while driving home and getting on the highway the car would not let me go into ANY gear. I pulled onto the shoulder of the road, shut the car off and put it in 1st. I was able to drive it home but the car will now pretty frequently grind going into second. There are also weird metallic/grinding noises coming from under the vehicle with my foot off the pedal (clutch engaged) while the car is running. The transmission is also grinding going into 2nd from neutral with the car stopped and engine running. While driving the car will very randomly jerk/shudder while driving in 1st gear (feels to me like the clutch is engaging/disengaging) until I push the clutch in. So all that being said does anyone have any clue what is going on here? I'm thinking the clutch may be dragging but the car does not move by itself with the clutch pushed in, in 1st gear.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:58 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Sounds like it's going to have to come apart regardless. It does sound like the clutch is not disengaging to me. Best case it's the master cylinder, but that wouldn't account for the grinding noises when the clutch is engaged and you're just sitting there. That's either torque tube bearings or throwout bearing IMO, either of which means the transmission/rear/torque tube have to come out to get to them.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:09 PM
seanvi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Sounds like it's going to have to come apart regardless. It does sound like the clutch is not disengaging to me. Best case it's the master cylinder, but that wouldn't account for the grinding noises when the clutch is engaged and you're just sitting there. That's either torque tube bearings or throwout bearing IMO, either of which means the transmission/rear/torque tube have to come out to get to them.
Is it common for bad torque tube bearings to cause shifting issues?
Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

With car stopped and clutch fully disengaged the shaft inside the torque tube isn't spinning regardless, so I don't think that's the cause of your shifting issues, but is probably the cause of some of the noise

Does the pedal feel any different? If you pump the clutch a few times will it go into gear any easier?
Old 09-05-2016, 06:15 PM
seanvi
Intermediate

With car stopped and clutch fully disengaged the shaft inside the torque tube isn't spinning regardless, so I don't think that's the cause of your shifting issues, but is probably the cause of some of the noise

Does the pedal feel any different? If you pump the clutch a few times will it go into gear any easier?
Pedal feels fine, pumping the pedal doesn't seem to have any affect.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:17 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I assume you've checked the obvious like fluid level?
Old 09-05-2016, 06:24 PM
seanvi
Intermediate

I assume you've checked the obvious like fluid level?
I've checked the clutch fluid, it is dark but the level is fine. I haven't looked at the transmission fluid yet, that was changed to Redline fluid about 3-4 months ago. One other thing, when you accelerate slowly in 1st gear the shifter starts to move forward and backward, around 3k RPM it will pop out of first gear into neutral.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:57 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,002 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Originally Posted by seanvi
I've checked the clutch fluid, it is dark but the level is fine. I haven't looked at the transmission fluid yet, that was changed to Redline fluid about 3-4 months ago. One other thing, when you accelerate slowly in 1st gear the shifter starts to move forward and backward, around 3k RPM it will pop out of first gear into neutral.
Trans was abused (Sling shot shifting), and time for it to be pulled apart and rebuilt.

As for when you get the car back, make sure to shift the trans correctly, Hence it take a micro second for the sync's to mesh the gears correctly and the trans to slip into gear smoothly, and if you sling shooting the trans through the gears again, then your going to cause the same problem again (wear to the syncs, and even to the pads on the shifter forks as well).

Get notified of new replies

To Need help please!! Z06 not shifting properly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help please!! Z06 not shifting properly