C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Journey to 436whp

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 04:08 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by danielwebb
ive been looking at the fast 102. It seems like the reviews are mixed. Some people saying it makes no real appreciable difference while others say the dyno numbers don't tell the whole story.
A lot of mixed reviews out there on the FAST product and some that even claim a loss. I don't know what to think. Some magazines tested and seemed to have good results and also posted other manifolds that didn't make power so it seems like they were being legit.

I just sent my stock manifold on a 500 rwhp LS3 to Gwatney. I felt the guy was really straight forward when he said "I'd expect 10-14 rwhp gains with your set up." I thought that was a fair honest answer when I had another vendor tell me "20-25 rwhp". Uh huh, sure. Also Gwatney was a fair price at $250. That's a solid value for 10-14 rwhp.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:08 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
A lot of mixed reviews out there on the FAST product and some that even claim a loss. I don't know what to think. Some magazines tested and seemed to have good results and also posted other manifolds that didn't make power so it seems like they were being legit.

I just sent my stock manifold on a 500 rwhp LS3 to Gwatney. I felt the guy was really straight forward when he said "I'd expect 10-14 rwhp gains with your set up." I thought that was a fair honest answer when I had another vendor tell me "20-25 rwhp". Uh huh, sure. Also Gwatney was a fair price at $250. That's a solid value for 10-14 rwhp.
With your setup I will be very interested to see what gains you get.

Please do post up your results!
Old 09-28-2016, 05:19 PM
C6David
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I was going for the bolt on record which was the only reason I got the 102. But seeing what it did on my car made me a believer. Had great gains at the track on my friends cam only car too. Not on the dyno though.

I wish I could feel that seat of the pants feel with mods. When we put a 100 shot on my friends stock ls2 we both couldn't tell if it was any faster lol.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe_G
With your setup I will be very interested to see what gains you get.

Please do post up your results!
I am going to redyno it within the next couple of months, the problems is I have a few small changes making it impossible to tell specifically what the ported manifold will provide.

For one, the shop that tuned my car said the program screwed up and they were not able to recover my final dyno numbers with the Halltech which was 501 rwhp. They could only recover the Vararam intake numbers which was 496, I think.

To top it off I have the following changes as well:

Swapped from NPP to Corsa, 0-7 rwhp gains I've heard.
Swapped to 4.10s, 10-20 rwhp LOSSES I've heard.
Gwatney intake manifold, 10-14 rwhp gains I've heard.
Planned: Adding IM insulation, 0-7 rwhp I'd expect.
Planned: Improved racing windage tray with crank scrapers, 4-9 rwhp they claim.

So where will I end up? Hopefully it will dyno 500 whp. We'll see. I will definitely post once I get it back on the dyno.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 09-29-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:35 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I am going to redyno it within the next couple of months, the problems is I have a few small changes making it impossible to tell specifically what the ported manifold will provide.

For one, the shop that tuned my car said the program screwed up and they were not able to recover my final dyno numbers with the Halltech which was 501 rwhp. They could only recover the Vararam intake numbers which was 496, I think.

To top it off I have the following changes as well:

Swapped from NPP to Corsa, 0-7 rwhp gains I've heard.
Swapped to 4.10s, 10-20 rwhp LOSSES I've heard.
Gwatney intake manifold, 10-14 rwhp gains I've heard.
Planned: Adding IM insulation, 0-7 rwhp I'd expect.
Planned: Improved racing windage tray with crank scrapers, 4-9 rwhp they claim.

So where will I end up? Hopefully it will dyno 500 whp. We'll see. I will definitely post once I get it back on the dyno.

are you the 501whp running the spin cam?
Old 10-03-2016, 12:37 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

are you the 501whp running the spin cam?
I wish I had that cam installed.

I have a very small (219/ 227) cam that was installed be the previous owner and the cost and trouble to swap it, isn't something that I can justify. It's a 'midrange' cam and peaks at about 6100 rpm which makes me very sad. It does drive like a stocker however.

My power was made on Ethanol which is why I have a bit higher number for the mods as it adds 17 rwhp over 93 octane.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:50 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

I wish I had that cam installed.

I have a very small (219/ 227) cam that was installed be the previous owner and the cost and trouble to swap it, isn't something that I can justify. It's a 'midrange' cam and peaks at about 6100 rpm which makes me very sad. It does drive like a stocker however.

My power was made on Ethanol which is why I have a bit higher number for the mods as it adds 17 rwhp over 93 octane.
if you had it to do over, what cam spec would you go with? I'm lurking somewhere between lingfenfelter gt11 and lg g6x1
Old 10-11-2016, 07:40 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

if you had it to do over, what cam spec would you go with? I'm lurking somewhere between lingfenfelter gt11 and lg g6x1
There is an older Super Chevy article where they compare multiple cams on the LS3. If you can look at it really carefully you will see that the smaller cams actually have the highest average horsepower. When I studied it about a year ago I really liked the Katech Torqued cam. It's a bit bigger than mine but it's not huge.

You can certainly get larger Peak numbers with bigger cams but I think there's an offset to that, and you lose significant low-end. And drivability, and fuel economy.

Good luck!

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 10-11-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:42 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

There is an older Super Chevy article where they compare multiple cams on the LS3. If you can look at it really carefully you will see that the smaller cams actually have the highest average horsepower. When I studied it about a year ago I really liked the Katech Torqued cam. It's a bit bigger than mine but it's not huge.

You can certainly get larger Peak numbers with bigger cams but I think there's an offset to that, and you lose significant low-end. And drivability, and fuel economy.

Good luck!

I have spent literally 10 hours with my eyes on that article and those graphs. I'm glad you said that because I've been really pondering that katech torquer cam.... You may have just pushed me over the edge.

I Think that's like a 460ish whp cam with headers on a manual, right? Wonder how close I could get to 500 with that, heads, and all the little 5whp "last mile" mods.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:43 PM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have spent literally 10 hours with my eyes on that article and those graphs. I'm glad you said that because I've been really pondering that katech torquer cam.... You may have just pushed me over the edge.

I Think that's like a 460ish whp cam with headers on a manual, right? Wonder how close I could get to 500 with that, heads, and all the little 5whp "last mile" mods.
You might also check out the cams from 21st Century. I'm running their CMC-30 with long tubes and couldn't be happier. I'm just over the 460 rwhp mark, trapping 123 in the 1/4 without launching the car at all (part of a standing mile run, so easing off of the line), and hitting 174 in the standing mile. All in a package that I still daily drive. I'm sure most of the drive-ability is in the tune, but it's a fantastic package.

Oh yea, mine is an 08 LS3 MZ6.

Last edited by 98Pace; 10-11-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by 98Pace
You might also check out the cams from 21st Century. I'm running their CMC-30 with long tubes and couldn't be happier. I'm just over the 460 rwhp mark, trapping 123 in the 1/4 without launching the car at all (part of a standing mile run, so easing off of the line), and hitting 174 in the standing mile. All in a package that I still daily drive. I'm sure most of the drive-ability is in the tune, but it's a fantastic package.

Oh yea, mine is an 08 LS3 MZ6.

I will give those a look. What should I search for if I want to price out a cam plus all of the other necessary parts for a cam install? Any forum vendors currently offering a "package deal" for parts and labor? I'm in the nc area. I know in looking at older threads, lots of vendors were offering 1800 dollar turn key packages, but not sure whats out there now....
Old 12-11-2016, 06:19 AM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by irok
your car will run 11's the way it sits now with no further mods required
you are correct. My first time out I ran 12.2 at 117 with a 2.0x 60' and a full tank of gas. If I could just cut a decent 60' I'd be at 11's with the setup I described above. Very happy with this car as it sits now. I think headers this winter will keep me happy next year and then head/cam next winter. Looking at the Katech torquer
Old 12-16-2016, 12:22 PM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

you are correct. My first time out I ran 12.2 at 117 with a 2.0x 60' and a full tank of gas. If I could just cut a decent 60' I'd be at 11's with the setup I described above. Very happy with this car as it sits now. I think headers this winter will keep me happy next year and then head/cam next winter. Looking at the Katech torquer
I agree with you guys the most important thing is seat of the pants dyno, if it doesn't feel it's any faster that's no fun.
One mod that i did to my ls2 was the Vitesse throttle controller!
I don't know if you guys have heard about it. Easy fast install, and couldn't believe the seat of pants fell I got from it.Best mod for $180 iv'e found.
If you want to cut 2/10 to 3/10 of your quarter time? This will do it, not to mention the fun it is to crank this thing to sport setting 9. It has eco and sport mode 17 settings. putting in eco setting is great for
driving in heavy traffic. Do a search on this site and read up on it.
A lot of info about it. I have and recommend it.
Tim
Old 12-18-2016, 01:15 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by yellowmnm
I agree with you guys the most important thing is seat of the pants dyno, if it doesn't feel it's any faster that's no fun.
One mod that i did to my ls2 was the Vitesse throttle controller!
I don't know if you guys have heard about it. Easy fast install, and couldn't believe the seat of pants fell I got from it.Best mod for $180 iv'e found.
If you want to cut 2/10 to 3/10 of your quarter time? This will do it, not to mention the fun it is to crank this thing to sport setting 9. It has eco and sport mode 17 settings. putting in eco setting is great for
driving in heavy traffic. Do a search on this site and read up on it.
A lot of info about it. I have and recommend it.
Tim
is this like the cow booster?
Old 12-18-2016, 05:29 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Similar, yes.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:32 PM
Bigwebb
Drifting

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Similar, yes.

I was thinking about this mod. I wonder if it would be beneficial for blipping the throttle on heel toe down shifts...
Old 12-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I was thinking about this mod. I wonder if it would be beneficial for blipping the throttle on heel toe down shifts...
CowBooster certainly is.

Here's my thoughts on that. I'd been lamenting the lousy throttle response on my c6 from the day I got it until I got the Cow booster as I like to heel & toe.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-buck-mod.html
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (12-21-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Journey to 436whp

Old 12-18-2016, 09:06 PM
yellowmnm
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

is this like the cow booster?
With the Vitesse throttle controller,
1. You don't have to disconnect your ECU and mail it to Cow, and wait a week to get it back, and reconnect it.
2. Cow sets your throttle for better response which is better for sure, but you have just one setting the one he programs, that's it.
The Vitesse you have no down time, drive your car until it arrives in the mail. It takes 5 minutes to install. Gives you 17 settings and you can do it instantly. Having all those settings is great for different types of driving, Like Heavy traffic, around town, long trips for better gas milage, or sporty driving, or track, or the drags strip. I love it. That's my humble opinion.
Tim
Old 12-21-2016, 03:00 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Not actually.....

Originally Posted by yellowmnm
With the Vitesse throttle controller,
1. You don't have to disconnect your ECU and mail it to Cow, and wait a week to get it back, and reconnect it.
2. Cow sets your throttle for better response which is better for sure, but you have just one setting the one he programs, that's it.
The Vitesse you have no down time, drive your car until it arrives in the mail. It takes 5 minutes to install. Gives you 17 settings and you can do it instantly. Having all those settings is great for different types of driving, Like Heavy traffic, around town, long trips for better gas milage, or sporty driving, or track, or the drags strip. I love it. That's my humble opinion.
Tim

Incorrect. You send your vin # and I build a different pcm and ship it to you. You swap the pcm which is about the
same time as it takes to install other Chinese products and run the wires and mount the module.

Ours is invisible, THE ONLY 100% safe solution, infinitely adjustable by us and can have 2 or sometimes even
3 modes selectable via the TC button. More power, better response, and CAN NOT fail leaving you in a very unsafe
situation. NOBODY waits a week for CoW BOOSTER!. There is no waiting whatsoever.

Many people have tried the competitors product.... and switched to mine. After driving them both the difference
is VERY clear. Search the forum for answers.

Additionally, regarding the supposed 17 settings. Totally ridiculous as anyone that drives it uses only 1 or 2 settings

ever after trying them all. Most of the 17 are useless and of no value.

That's not just my opinion, but the opinions most of the people who switched to me.

Chuck CoW
Old 12-21-2016, 03:16 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Joe. You're a trooper! Set em Straight!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
CowBooster certainly is.

Here's my thoughts on that. I'd been lamenting the lousy throttle response on my c6 from the day I got it until I got the Cow booster as I like to heel & toe.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-buck-mod.html
Joe. You're a trooper! Set em Straight!

You're well respected around here and you got plenty of experience with the 2005 3 mods booster!

Glad you like it!
Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: Journey to 436whp