C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight replacement with updated headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2023, 01:38 PM
paulr3579@yahoo.com
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight replacement with updated headlights

I'm sure a lot of people in the forum have updated their C6 headlights. I have seen where you can get C7 or C8 style headlight replacements, both of which look pretty cool. It's also possible to just replace the headlights with OEM. Has anyone used the C7 or C8 style headlights? If so, how do you like them?
Old 12-15-2023, 02:28 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

The C7 & C8 lights will not fit in the C6 opening. You have to go aftermarket if you want the C7 or C8 look.
Old 12-15-2023, 04:07 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 543 Likes on 375 Posts

Several forum members have replaced their headlights with C7/C8 style aftermarket headlights. They are all LED and most like them. Overtime, the OEM headlights will develop crazing or haziness on the acrylic cover requiring replacement of just the transparent cover or replacement of the entire headlight. You can find these by searching through the forum contributing vendors. Look at the menu at the top of the page and select "Marketplace". Sort for headlights.

As to style, that is up to you. They all look nice.

GD

Old 12-16-2023, 10:43 AM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

I just wish the price would come down. It's hard to justify $1k+ for a set of headlights on an almost 20yo car. If I drove it as a daily driver and/or at night I'd possibly feel better about taking the $$ hit. But I definitely get why some prefer the upgrade. It does give it a more modern look.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:46 AM
paulr3579@yahoo.com
Intermediate

I realize that I have to replace with aftermarket headlights. I was talking about the C6 replacements that are the C7 and C8 "style" headlights. I am more inclined to go with the C8 style as the C7 styles I have seen have the smoked glass and I prefer the clear glass. The reason I want/need to replace mine is that they have developed the crazing from the heat of the lights inside. At first I thought this was haze on the outside and could be buffed off but then I realized the the clear covers themselves were damaged.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:00 AM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

There's a member on here ("RLSebring" or something similar) that sells the replacement covers and it's a fairly straightforward prosess to replace. I believe you can also send him your headlights and he'll install the covers for you for additional cost. However if your preference is to upgrade to something more modern than it's probably worth it. You may be able to recoup some $$ by reselling your oem headlights as well.
Old 12-16-2023, 11:17 AM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 259 Posts

I bought mine on a very good sale and definitely would have had a hard time paying full retail. I opted for the c7 style because they had a 5 year warranty vs the 3 year warranty of the c8 lights. The c8 lights now have the same 5 year warranty. The gaskets on my 2 year old lights have started to peel up very slightly around the top (a very minor issue) I'll pull them close to the 5 year warranty expiration and get a new set through a warranty claim. Absolutely no regrets. Added led fog lights and it's a game changer for night driving

Old 12-16-2023, 11:20 AM
paulr3579@yahoo.com
Intermediate

Thanks! I have watched YouTube videos that show both replacing the covers and installing upgraded headlights. For the amount of work it takes to get the headlights out, I am inclined to upgrade. I have already replaced all of the stock bulbs with LED bulbs. I didn't realize that the original headlights, with damaged covers, were worth anything.
Old 12-16-2023, 01:38 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 543 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by paulr3579@yahoo.com
I have already replaced all of the stock bulbs with LED bulbs.
Fair warning. LED bulbs emit RF frequencies, especially some of the less expensive bulbs. I am referring to the individual replacement bulbs that members have swapped for their interior lights. I assume by your comment "all" that you mean interior as well. NOTE: The LED headlights & taillights are engineered to resolve this problem.

These cars make use of electronic modules that rely on RF signals to connect with your fob, specifically the RCDLR module. Be aware that you may experience some interference where the fob & RCDLR may fail to communicate resulting in fob not found messages or simply failure to be able to unlock or start the car due to RF interference. If you have problems of this type and post for help with resolution, it would be important to note this fact in any future comments. Could save some time and troubleshooting tips.

Enjoy your car...GD
Old 12-24-2023, 12:53 PM
grpweld
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

I have the C8 style on my base & really think they enhance the overall look. They have the black background & look great with my hood vent, led side marker light's & tinted windows. I appreciate how much brighter the drl's are on them also as the car is machine Silver & sort of blends into the asphalt. Night driving is truly amazing with these.
Old 12-29-2023, 01:31 PM
Dibiase
Heel & Toe

Changing them is kind of a pain and they are expensive, but as someone who never like the style of the OEM headlights even when they were new, I think the upgrade is worth it. Also they are much brighter at night.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:28 PM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Being a pain to change is subjective. A couple of hidden bolts and you work blind to unbolt the headlight assembly and bolt the new ones in. Plenty of youtube videos on doing it. It's really nothing more than unscrewing bolts and a couple hours. Contrary to what some might tell you, the tires can stay on (you'll have to turn the wheel) and the bumper does not have to come off. You just have to remove a few screws from it.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:00 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 905 Likes on 569 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Luxe King LED conversion for OEM headlights. The most useable light output currently available for the C6 Corvette

The following 2 users liked this post by wjnjr:
LightningBrett (12-31-2023), tommyc6z06 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 09:18 PM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wjnjr
Luxe King LED conversion for OEM headlights. The most useable light output currently available for the C6 Corvette

can honestly say I didn't have a problem with light output with the stockers. The way those stock housings look in the daylight though...... 🤮
Old 12-30-2023, 08:07 AM
robert.m.kalis
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Iowa
can honestly say I didn't have a problem with light output with the stockers. The way those stock housings look in the daylight though...... 🤮
I personally love the way the OEM lights look.
Wouldn't change them if you gave me a new set.
I also like the chrome wheels on my Grand Sport. Can't stand black wheels unless they are on a black car. The only thing I changed on mine was replacing the small black spoiler with a GM full width spoiler painted to match. The C6 is great, that it can be customized to each person's liking, or left stock, and still looks bad to the bone
The following 2 users liked this post by robert.m.kalis:
tommyc6z06 (12-31-2023), wjnjr (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 10:29 AM
Iowa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robert.m.kalis
I personally love the way the OEM lights look.
Wouldn't change them if you gave me a new set.
I also like the chrome wheels on my Grand Sport. Can't stand black wheels unless they are on a black car. The only thing I changed on mine was replacing the small black spoiler with a GM full width spoiler painted to match. The C6 is great, that it can be customized to each person's liking, or left stock, and still looks bad to the bone
I agree. Personal taste is great. Also not a fan of black wheels. Ran them for a year and couldn't take it anymore. Have a base but love the grandsport wheels. Was lucky enough to find a set of replicas long after they were discontinued.

The following 2 users liked this post by Iowa:
robert.m.kalis (12-30-2023), wjnjr (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 09:51 PM
sirdano
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by wjnjr

Do you have a link were you bought these or MFG and part number?
Old 12-30-2023, 11:52 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 905 Likes on 569 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Mine came direct from the manufacturer, Sharp Light Innovations:

C6 (05-13) Corvette (sharplightinnovations.com)
Old 12-31-2023, 11:00 AM
LightningBrett
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Went with the Luxe King from Sharp Light, LOVE them. Similar to aircraft landing lights, BRIGHT AF.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight replacement with updated headlights

Quick Reply: Headlight replacement with updated headlights