C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 EBCM No Comm message

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 07:30 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 427 EBCM No Comm message

Finally got the car running. Replaced the entire factory engine wiring harness.

Used the VCX Nano to read the car. Everything came up normal except got a No Comm with the EBCM. Car runs, but there is no ABS. Service Vehicle Soon, Traction Control and Active Handling.

So, bought a brand spanking new EBCM from Amazon. Exactly the same. Wife and I Installed it and still the exact same message.

Is there a ground wire somewhere for the EBCM?

Not throwing any codes. Just No Comm.

Anyone else ever go through this? We have a trip planned to the NCM and we both wanted to take the Corvette.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Last edited by KBoltz; 05-07-2021 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:15 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

For any module “ no comm” you always have to check power and grounds...there is normally 2 power feeds...a battery and an ignition feed...and then one or two grounds. There should also be 2 fuses for the EBCM...were they checked ??...I only have Service Info up to 2007...maybe someone can help you out with the wiring !!...also you should check these power and grounds with the circuit. “loaded”....ie...running or cranking !!
Old 05-07-2021, 11:30 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
For any module “ no comm” you always have to check power and grounds...there is normally 2 power feeds...a battery and an ignition feed...and then one or two grounds. There should also be 2 fuses for the EBCM...were they checked ??...I only have Service Info up to 2007...maybe someone can help you out with the wiring !!...also you should check these power and grounds with the circuit. “loaded”....ie...running or cranking !!
Found the ground!!! Damn thing was hiding.

Now I have Comm but still show Service ABS/Traction Control/Active Handling.

I cleared those DTC's with VCX Nano/Tech 2 - however it won't let me clear the DTC on the EBCM

Should I take it for an extended drive at a moderate pace to let it all settle in or is there another route?

Last edited by KBoltz; 05-07-2021 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:30 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

What number is the EBCM DTC?

EBCM has a few direct sensor off it, and would dare to guess that is either the sensor, or wiring off the EBCM to the sensor that is causing the problem.

If it turns out to be one of the rear wheel sensors, check the C180 and C184 connectors for corrosion. They are behind the battery/oil tank on a dry sump car on the passenger fender wall inside the engine compartment.
The following users liked this post:
KBoltz (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 08:26 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dano523
What number is the EBCM DTC?

EBCM has a few direct sensor off it, and would dare to guess that is either the sensor, or wiring off the EBCM to the sensor that is causing the problem.

If it turns out to be one of the rear wheel sensors, check the C180 and C184 connectors for corrosion. They are behind the battery/oil tank on a dry sump car on the passenger fender wall inside the engine compartment.
Dano - codes are as follows:

C0569 System Configuration Error
U0104 Lost communication with Cruise Control
C0561 Invalid Serial Data Received

Everything else is good. No other codes.

Since this is a new EBCM, maybe try and put the old one back in, since the problem was a missed ground?
Old 05-08-2021, 10:37 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

On the new EBCM, it has to be flashed to the car to not only program it to the vin, but to security code match it to the BCM as well (either tis2000 if 2009 or older, or TDS for all year modules).
So if new EBCM was not flashed to the car with SPS, then put the old EBCM back in, since it is already flashed/security key coded to the BCM.

Hence DTC's look to be EBCM is not security code handshake matching with the BCM and the problem at hand.
Old 05-08-2021, 12:33 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Put old one back.

All the codes are GONE! The only thing showing up is service traction control.

Is there someplace in Tech 2 to just shut it off? I'm thinking that the switch inside the car might be bad 👎
Old 05-08-2021, 01:23 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by KBoltz
Put old one back.

All the codes are GONE! The only thing showing up is service traction control.

Is there someplace in Tech 2 to just shut it off? I'm thinking that the switch inside the car might be bad 👎
Can’t shut it off with a Tech 2...I believe there is not even a Data PID that will show the AH/TC being active or not with the Tech 2...did you see if you have any stored DTC’s ??...you’d have to go to Chassis and look there...that’s where there at on my C5.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:41 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
Can’t shut it off with a Tech 2...I believe there is not even a Data PID that will show the AH/TC being active or not with the Tech 2...did you see if you have any stored DTC’s ??...you’d have to go to Chassis and look there...that’s where there at on my C5.
NO stored DTC - went to chassis and looked there.

I ordered a new T\C button - 15 bucks delivered on Tuesday. Take the console out Monday night and get it all back together on Tuesday.
Old 05-13-2021, 02:40 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Button didnt do a damn bit of good - the only error I am getting is one where the serial number of the EBCM is off at the last digit by one number. I can cxommunicate with the EBCM, test the ABS Motor and did the BPP reset so it can talk to each other. It is still giving me a Service Traction Control and Active Handling. It runs fine and when I scroll past the two errors on the DIC they do not reappear and just the Traction Control light is illuminated.

ABS works - I am thinking to disable all the TCS stuff with HP Tuners and see if that will at least shut off the damn idiot light. It's not like I am going to go out and drive like a freaking maniac. That's what HPDE and autocross are for.
Old 11-06-2023, 06:21 PM
the_slo_vette
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Where was the ground hiding??
Originally Posted by KBoltz
Found the ground!!! Damn thing was hiding.

Now I have Comm but still show Service ABS/Traction Control/Active Handling.

I cleared those DTC's with VCX Nano/Tech 2 - however it won't let me clear the DTC on the EBCM

Should I take it for an extended drive at a moderate pace to let it all settle in or is there another route?
Old 12-11-2023, 07:46 PM
Jon-D
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by the_slo_vette
Where was the ground hiding??
same question if somone can help.

I'm experiencing the same issue, no comm. It was a steady no comm, then after a trip to higher elevation (cold outside) the fault disappeared for a week but then reappeared, steady. The scanner also says the vertical and horizontal seat g sensors are not reading as well, which I believe is part of the system.

I am doubting it may be a ground since im in a southern state and there is no Corrosion anywhere else on the car. Thinking it might be the connections between thr BCM and the EBCM?
Old 12-30-2023, 09:00 PM
Jon-D
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Checked the ground by the battery tray and also engine ground just below the ebcm and they look good. So I removed the module connection and a couple of the smaller pins looked like they had a bit of Corrosion so I cleaned them up and reconnected the harness. Hopefully that was the issue but I'll know in time.

Get notified of new replies

To 427 EBCM No Comm message

Quick Reply: 427 EBCM No Comm message