C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wasted ECU and starter...need new tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:11 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Default wasted ECU and starter...need new tune?

posted in GD:

Hello my friends:

Car barely turned over this AM. This has been a problem last few days, starter was "dragging.". I took the 2008 C6 MZ6 (man trans w/ Z51) to dealership and both starter and ECU are shot. My question is will the prior ECU flash tune (by J Formato) parameters be reinstalled or does the new ECU come with a GM LS3 stock tune? OR...is the tune stored in another area regarding air:fuel, spark tables, degree of timing, etc such that a new ECU will not change parameters and my prior tune will be maintained. I fully realize that by virtue of them disconnecting the battery (which I replaced last month) that long term and short term fuel trims will need to be relearned...no big deal. I am running a CAI, ported/polished throttle body, gutted/polished intake manifold, LG LT headers with x-pipe and NPP. My worry is if a factory stock LS3 ECU program is in place I should be running lean given the mods and will require a new tune to be performed.

Oh by the way...I got a new starter tonight from Napa for $119...dealer wanted $512 for the same thing. "But it's not a genuine GM product," the service writer says. "For $400 difference I don't give a $hit," was my response.

Please post up answers and add any detail you think might be pertinent, fellas. Thanks from Tampa!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:05 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Your tune is stored in the ECM so it's gone. Hopefully J Formato has a copy of it so that it can easily be restored. You should call him and find out his policy on re-flashes.

Quick Reply: wasted ECU and starter...need new tune?