C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra- Yes or No? Any isues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 01:00 AM
1FastAzzC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra- Yes or No? Any isues?

Hi everybody, it's been awhile sence I've been on as I've been highly upset over my Corvette being vandalised. Im constantly arguing bk and forth with usaa over getting my C6 painted CORRECTLY & not blended as talking with dozens of paint experts , they hv told me it's virtually impossible to PERFECTLY match my paint as it is the Monterey Red tint coat. Some a...hole vandalized my car keying most of the front including my hd lt lenses, lower lenses and most of the right side. Anyway, praying they will listen to reason and it gets done correctly so my value won't be ruined my point is this.... Has anyone installed a clear bra and it start to EITHER yellow, bubble up, corners peel up or just any problems at all? Researching about them, i learned that after awhile clear bras WILL one way or another deteiorate in ways that show its obvious it's installed. How long that is, I've no way of knowing and considering they haven't been on the market to very long (that i know of)I'm betting no one knows either because not enough time has passed for them to hv any problems either. Even if i come out of pocket substantially to mk sure my car is perfect, i want to mk damn sure the front is protected to its full extent . Any ADVICE or warnings against problems or alternative solutIons wud be super appreciated. Thanks. Sorry if there are dozens of posts related to this as i didn't hv time to resesrch it. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:30 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastAzzC6
Hi everybody, it's been awhile since I've been on as I've been highly upset over my Corvette being vandalized. I'm constantly arguing bk and forth with usaa over getting my C6 painted CORRECTLY & not blended as talking with dozens of paint experts , they have told me it's virtually impossible to PERFECTLY match my paint as it is the Monterey Red tint coat. Some a...hole vandalized my car keying most of the front including my hd lt lenses, lower lenses and most of the right side. Anyway, praying they will listen to reason and it gets done correctly so my value won't be ruined my point is this....

Has anyone installed a clear bra and it start to EITHER yellow, bubble up, corners peel up or just any problems at all?

Researching about them, I learned that after awhile clear bras WILL one way or another deteriorate in ways that show its obvious it's installed. How long that is

I've no way of knowing and considering they haven't been on the market to very long (that i know of)

I'm betting no one knows either because not enough time has passed for them to have any problems either.

Even if I come out of pocket substantially to make sure my car is perfect, I want to make damn sure the front is protected to its full extent . Any ADVICE or warnings against problems or alternative solutions would be super appreciated. Thanks. Sorry if there are dozens of posts related to this as I didn't have time to research it. Merry Christmas to all.
Hello 1FastAzzC6,

Clear Bra or Paint Protection Film has come a LONG way in the last 10 years. It's been around a long time, since Vietnam (helicopter tape). Since then and more recently its become a lot better. Everyone has a favorite or specific company they prefer. Each may have their own advantages or disadvantages.

I can tell you one thing that is the most important note, find an installer that you feel comfortable leaving your pride and joy with to get the film installed. A seasoned installer is absolute key with paint protection film installation. Regardless of which manufacturer you go with, find a good installer.

That being said, XPEL ULTIMATE is warrantied for 10 years against yellowing, staining, cracking, blistering and delaminating. Full warranty information available: Here. If the film does any of the above, its covered under warranty, which includes film and labor. Meaning the installer will be paid to remove and re-install the film.

Once installed, XPEL ULTIMATE is nearly invisible. If it's installed correctly, the film will have wrapped edges (where possible), meaning that the film will wrap over the edge of the hood, fender, etc. A fellow corvette forum member, AllFlash, has posted many times of his beautiful C7 that he has taken all over the country and it still looks brand new.

If you have any questions, please let us know. We are here to help
Old 12-12-2016, 05:52 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have it on my Mustang and not sure I would do it again.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:11 PM
BLUEMEANIE
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Got the 3M film and it works as it's self healing with heat from a hair dryer.

saved my entire front end from,
  • people cutting grass or weed whacking next to busy highways
  • The resident undocumented trash collector truck dropping metal scrap
  • Bird poo
  • Rocks from road rash
I wish I did headlights too. looking for that next season.

I've had it wrapped for 4 years and no signs of yellowing or peeling. I do keep the car garaged.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:29 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
I have it on my Mustang and not sure I would do it again.
Why? What did you use and who installed it?
Old 12-12-2016, 10:42 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

A big thumbs up here. Had my car 3M clear bra'd 4 years ago. Still looks like new. NO CHIPS! Did the entire front end, rockers and rear quarter panels. I'm not saying 3M is the best just that getting the car clear bra'd, any brand, was a great move IMO.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:00 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

If you stop 1/2 way on a panel as opposed to doing the entire panel you will end up seeing where the film stops after a while.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I've had about five cars with it. I'm with Tim; I'm not sure I'd do it again, either. Several reasons tho, from it does get damaged to little things like some of the edges do get "loose."

If I were OP, I'd start looking around for an excellent painter. But just recognize as much tech as there is in painting cars today (whether original factory or aftermarket), it is still an art. To really get a color right doesn't just take a computer scan; it could very well take several or more tries to get the right texture below the surface, color, tint, etc. It isn't easy. Time is money. Artistic talent isn't given out to everyone. Painting a whole car is much easier than one panel, or one part of one panel. Start saving up.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:46 PM
cseaman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Just to give you some insight from an ex-USAA auto adjuster. They don't owe you to paint the whole car. Competent shops will be able to match your paint...and you sound dramatic saying you've talked to "dozens" of "paint experts" - if you've used that line on USAA I'd be shocked if it's getting you anywhere at all. I pretty much guarantee you haven't and I'm sure the adjuster feels the same way.

You need to give them a chance to fix it per your policy. If they screw it up or it doesn't work out, they are more likely to be be willing to paint more/all of the car. But I absolutely guarantee that will not be the first step. Nor would it be with any other major insurance company.

Just some unbiased insight. Good luck.

Last edited by cseaman; 12-13-2016 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:35 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Hi everybody, it's been awhile sence I've been on as I've been highly upset over my Corvette being vandalised. Im constantly arguing bk and forth with usaa over getting my C6 painted CORRECTLY & not blended as talking with dozens of paint experts , they hv told me it's virtually impossible to PERFECTLY match my paint as it is the Monterey Red tint coat. Some a...hole vandalized my car keying most of the front including my hd lt lenses, lower lenses and most of the right side. Anyway, praying they will listen to reason and it gets done correctly so my value won't be ruined my point is this.... Has anyone installed a clear bra and it start to EITHER yellow, bubble up, corners peel up or just any problems at all? Researching about them, i learned that after awhile clear bras WILL one way or another deteiorate in ways that show its obvious it's installed. How long that is, I've no way of knowing and considering they haven't been on the market to very long (that i know of)I'm betting no one knows either because not enough time has passed for them to hv any problems either. Even if i come out of pocket substantially to mk sure my car is perfect, i want to mk damn sure the front is protected to its full extent . Any ADVICE or warnings against problems or alternative solutIons wud be super appreciated. Thanks. Sorry if there are dozens of posts related to this as i didn't hv time to resesrch it. Merry Christmas to all.
Clear bra's are worth it to me. You will need to decide as it will be 50/50 here.

MR is no harder to match up than CRM or MRT, or Silver for that matter. A "good" painter can match the colors up with no issues. I reputable shop will make sure you are satisfied with the paint job as well. Do your research and find a reputable shop to fix the car. Ask if you can talk to other Vette owners that have had their car repaired. It should not be a big issue.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

In 2008, I had "Ventureshield" installed on the entire front nose/bumper, full hood and arches behind each wheel. I keep my car garaged and clean. At the time of install, I was told to keep the clear bra clean and use a sealer to prevent dirt from embedding into the clear bra, especially when under hot sun. Eight years later, the clear bra looks as good as new and you still cannot even tell it is on my CRM corvette. No yellowing, no peeling, no blisters, etc. Today, I'm sure the products have only improved.

Find the most experienced and competent installer, best product materials along with some common sense maintenance and you will have a long lasting, undetectable clear bra.

It's expense, but you pay for what you get.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 12-15-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:53 PM
hitekcm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a total 2011 ZR! , only needed front bumper and its parts plus a fender. The hood when I got it had big scuffs and what looked like scratches as if a tree branch hwent over the hood. I thought hell here goes a couple grand to do the body work and paint.
To my surprice it had a clear bra application on the entire hood. I pealed it off and the hood looked like new !!!l . I did not have to do anything. !
So you bet your *** i put clear bra over the entire front end after making the other repairs. I say go for it !!!
Old 05-24-2019, 07:39 PM
Tom Gilfoy
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Clear Bra starting to get spots

I have an 05 Millineum Yellow. I'm the 3rd owner and one of the previous owners put a 3m clear bra on the front bumper, half the hood and the mirrors. I don't know how long it's been on there but in 2015 when I bought it the bra was fine. Now I see black spots on it. I tried to clean them but won't come off. I think there underneath the plastic. So now I'm thinking of peeling it off.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:10 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Tom Gilfoy
I have an 05 Millineum Yellow. I'm the 3rd owner and one of the previous owners put a 3m clear bra on the front bumper, half the hood and the mirrors. I don't know how long it's been on there but in 2015 when I bought it the bra was fine. Now I see black spots on it. I tried to clean them but won't come off. I think there underneath the plastic. So now I'm thinking of peeling it off.
Tom,

Go to a local installer and see if they can get it off. Even if it wasn't their original work, they may be able to remove the spots. If not, then you'll be in a place to talk about removing and replacing the material for brand new XPEL (hopefully) ULTIMATE PLUS clear bra. Which, if it were to ever get spots or weird stains for up to 10 years, we will pay parts and labor to replace it for you for FREE. Check out our XPEL Certified Installer Locator Here -- https://www.xpel.com/locator/search/.../United_States
Old 05-25-2019, 02:14 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

[QUOTE=Tom Gilfoy;1599461930]I have an 05 Millineum Yellow. I'm the 3rd owner and one of the previous owners put a 3m clear bra on the front bumper, half the hood and the mirrors. I don't know how long it's been on there but in 2015 when I bought it the bra was fine. Now I see black spots on it. I tried to clean them but won't come off. I think there underneath the plastic. So now I'm thinking of peeling it off.

Go Xpel or Suntek and a reputable installer. Either of those is a better product than 3M.
Half of my daily driver has been covered in Xpel for 1.5 years. Front end of the Vette is Suntek for last 3 years. No issues on either.

Last edited by Curt D; 05-25-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:14 PM
hitekcm
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a totaled out 2011 ZR1 . The front end was toast, left front fender and the hood looked as though it hit a tree and I figured I would be in for and expensive paint job. during disassembly I discovered the previous owner had applied the clear bra on the entire front end. when I peeled it off the hood I was astounded that there was only a few mars that were easily buffed off. So once I completed the repairs I had it installed on the entire front end !!! Swear by it !!! Expensive but well worth it .
The following users liked this post:
XPEL (05-28-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 11:21 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

I've got the Xpel Ultimate Plus on my SUV. I will be having it put on the Vette.
XPEL (05-28-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 11:40 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

What is the alternative to a clear bra? Getting your painted body parts nicked up by road debris, give me the clear bra every time
XPEL (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:56 AM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Default Yes

Originally Posted by 449er
What is the alternative to a clear bra? Getting your painted body parts nicked up by road debris, give me the clear bra every time

Get notified of new replies

To Clear Bra- Yes or No? Any isues?

Quick Reply: Clear Bra- Yes or No? Any isues?