C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 A6 trans swap - torque tube question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 05:58 PM
gfun
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 A6 trans swap - torque tube question

Hi Everone, I have a 2005 c6 with a bad trans and rear differential. I got a really good deal on a 2007 6l80 with the rear dif. My question is, will my 2005 torque tube bolt into the 6l80 trans without issues? or will I need a 2007 torque tube as well? I have searched all around and can find the answer. I believe 2005 has a different torque tube than 2007 (my new trans), but it's not clear if I will need to swap the torque tube as well.

Sorry if this is a basic question. I am a newbie Thanks
Old 08-18-2022, 10:03 PM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

I would be more concerned about the wiring. The 2005 has an entirely different ecm/wiring harness than the 2006+.. I don't think it's going to be as easy as swapping the torque tube/trans/diff.
Old 08-18-2022, 10:10 PM
gfun
4th Gear

Thank you. Besides the electrical and computer, would the torque tube bolt on?
Old 08-18-2022, 11:26 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 775 Likes on 504 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by gfun
Hi Everone, I have a 2005 c6 with a bad trans and rear differential. I got a really good deal on a 2007 6l80 with the rear dif. My question is, will my 2005 torque tube bolt into the 6l80 trans without issues? or will I need a 2007 torque tube as well? I have searched all around and can find the answer. I believe 2005 has a different torque tube than 2007 (my new trans), but it's not clear if I will need to swap the torque tube as well.

Sorry if this is a basic question. I am a newbie Thanks
Don't waste your time on this. By the time you were finished you'll end up paying WAY more than if you had just had your current parts rebuilt.

The wiring harness is different, the shifter is different, the PCM wouldn't talk to the transmission even if you did have all the wiring among other things.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:38 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,318 Likes on 1,609 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Don't waste your time on this. By the time you were finished you'll end up paying WAY more than if you had just had your current parts rebuilt.

The wiring harness is different, the shifter is different, the PCM wouldn't talk to the transmission even if you did have all the wiring among other things.
I have to say I agree but out of curiosity since OP already has half the parts, how hard would it be to swap to an e38 ECU/harness assuming he could find what he needs? I imagine it would be a chore getting it to communicate with the BCM. Like you said probably more hassle than its worth.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:36 AM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StayinStock
I have to say I agree but out of curiosity since OP already has half the parts, how hard would it be to swap to an e38 ECU/harness assuming he could find what he needs? I imagine it would be a chore getting it to communicate with the BCM. Like you said probably more hassle than its worth.
I agree with Subfloor.. OP said he got a really good deal on the parts. I'd sell all the parts and the car, then go buy a 6L80 car and be done. Even if it cost out of pocket, it'd be waaaay better than trying to get all that to communicate and work properly. EVERYTHING about the 05 is diff than 06 and up.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:41 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Originally Posted by da6speed
I agree with Subfloor.. OP said he got a really good deal on the parts. I'd sell all the parts and the car, then go buy a 6L80 car and be done. Even if it cost out of pocket, it'd be waaaay better than trying to get all that to communicate and work properly. EVERYTHING about the 05 is diff than 06 and up.
Yeah I have to say I agree as well, this is def one of those situations it might be best to cut losses and trade up to another car. My limited experience with 05 cars has been enough to tell me pretty much everythings a headache.... my unfortunate vast 4l60e experience is more than enough to tell me anything you can do to get away from them is worth it lol. OP I'd prob throw a stock unit back in yours to get it running and sold and look for an 06 (or if you can swing it 08) and up car.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:12 PM
gfun
4th Gear

Thank you. I appreciate everyones input on this. I understand all of the electrical related issues with the swap. My main question is around if it will physically fit and bolt on.

The car is a project car that is currently not on the road. It’s been sitting in my garage and I’m just now getting around to working on it. My intention is to completely swap out the engine as well. The car has over 200,000 miles on it and it was given to me by my brother.

if the torque tube can actually bolt up, then I was going to look into possibly replacing the engine along with the ECU and wiring. I know it seems like a lot, but it’s a side hobby I enjoy doing. I just don’t know a whole lot about Corvettes specifically.

Thank you guys again for your input. It’s been very helpful.
Old 08-19-2022, 12:17 PM
StayinStock
Safety Car

shoot if thats where your at, skip the auto, sell the a6 and look into doing a t56/tr6060 swap, ittl be more fun anyway
Old 08-19-2022, 02:21 PM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Thank you. I appreciate everyones input on this. I understand all of the electrical related issues with the swap. My main question is around if it will physically fit and bolt on.

The car is a project car that is currently not on the road. It’s been sitting in my garage and I’m just now getting around to working on it. My intention is to completely swap out the engine as well. The car has over 200,000 miles on it and it was given to me by my brother.

if the torque tube can actually bolt up, then I was going to look into possibly replacing the engine along with the ECU and wiring. I know it seems like a lot, but it’s a side hobby I enjoy doing. I just don’t know a whole lot about Corvettes specifically.

Thank you guys again for your input. It’s been very helpful.
I don't think you understand the complexity of wiring, computerS, body control moduleS and other moduleS (emphasizing on multiple computers and modules) on a C6. It's not as easy as swapping the engine, ecm and wiring harness and everything works. Everything has to communicate with each other for it to all work. There are multiple harnesses on these cars. Again, I would put whatever trans was in the car back in it and sell it, then go buy what you want.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:25 PM
gfun
4th Gear

Originally Posted by da6speed
I don't think you understand the complexity of wiring, computerS, body control moduleS and other moduleS (emphasizing on multiple computers and modules) on a C6. It's not as easy as swapping the engine, ecm and wiring harness and everything works. Everything has to communicate with each other for it to all work. There are multiple harnesses on these cars. Again, I would put whatever trans was in the car back in it and sell it, then go buy what you want.
yeah, I guess I’m too stupid to understand this stuff. Thanks anyway. I guess I’ll just keep my questions to myself and figure it out. Thanks anyway
Old 08-21-2022, 07:14 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Thank you. Besides the electrical and computer, would the torque tube bolt on?
I haven't measured them, but even if A4 and A6 had compatible bolt patterns their torque tubes are probably different lengths.

I say so because internally both torque tubes have the same input shaft and the same output hub, but a different driveshaft in the middle.

Last edited by torquetube; 08-22-2022 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2022, 11:33 AM
Undecided07
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The 05 cars (4L60) have a different torque tube assembly than every other C6 configuration. I’ve got an 07 car that I swapped from a 6spd manual to an RPM built 4L60E & it required the 05 torque tube assembly because of the 4 spd transmission. I’m not sure exactly what is different but it is specific to the 4L transmission cars. RPM Transmissions can answer any other specifics you might need concerning driveline assemblies. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:40 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Undecided07
The 05 cars (4L60) have a different torque tube assembly than every other C6 configuration. I’ve got an 07 car that I swapped from a 6spd manual to an RPM built 4L60E & it required the 05 torque tube assembly because of the 4 spd transmission. I’m not sure exactly what is different but it is specific to the 4L transmission cars. RPM Transmissions can answer any other specifics you might need concerning driveline assemblies. Good luck.
https://rpmtransmissions.com/
M-F, 8:00am - 5:00pm EST.

Closed Saturday & Sunday
Toll Free: 1-800-406-1109

1426 W 53rd St.
Anderson, IN 46013Camren Massengale
Rpm@rpmtransmissions.com

Jeremy Jones
jeremy@rpmtransmissions.com
Old 10-18-2022, 02:59 AM
minor t
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, I guess I’m too stupid to understand this stuff. Thanks anyway. I guess I’ll just keep my questions to myself and figure it out. Thanks anyway
sometimes it takes someone else to say the same thing everyone else is saying before finally hear what is being said! The thing you are thinking of doing CAN'T BE DONE! If you go down that road you will come to a dead end! I realize this reply is a little late, but in an effort to save you from yourself, I had to say it. Hope its not too late!

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 A6 trans swap - torque tube question

Quick Reply: 2005 A6 trans swap - torque tube question