C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VMax Throttle Body - Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:47 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts
Default VMax Throttle Body - Opinions

Just curious if anyone has any real world experience with the VMax throttle body available for our C6's.

Did you notice any difference in your butt dyno? Any increase in throttle response, etc?

I have a Vararam intake and Borla exhaust.

I'm going to get a Diablew tune and would like to decide on the throttle body prior to that.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 PM
HP_atTheWheels
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the VMaxx TB on my 06 LS2 A6. I did VMax by itself with no tune for about 300 miles. I think the throttle response felt better...less lag. Then I added Hinson LT, HF cats, Callaway Honker CAI and tune from diabloLew and WOW!! I know its not scientific and I dont have any numbers to prve anything but I think the VMax was worth the money. Just my .02 hope it helps
The following users liked this post:
doomi (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:09 AM
GARY2004Z06
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 335 Likes on 247 Posts

Although I have not tried his TB, I had this to say back in 2013.

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06
We did a little R&D with the Vmax ring. Low end and mid-range worked fine. (Response was good.) Overall, a well designed product for very little dollars. Pete makes a lot of great stuff and is a pleasure to deal with.
doomi (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 09:47 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

On it's own, all it does is add a little better throttle response. Any ported throttle body will do that. I have a NW102 (which is ported/polished by default) and the throttle response was much better when that along with my cam and intake got installed. Definitely helps with shifting and rev-matching.

Just be careful if you try adding this and you already have a custom tune. I did this before my cam/intake/NW102 work, and the idle was bad and hung between shifts. It should be fine if you have a stock tune, but if not, you'll most likely need another tune to get the idle right.

Last edited by Must_Have_Z; 04-06-2017 at 09:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Must_Have_Z:
Cherokee Nation (04-15-2017), doomi (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 11:24 AM
doomi
Drifting

Well, I'm sold. Thanks for the input, all!

Thanks for the heads up on the tune Must Have Z. I just installed a DiabloSport tuner yesterday and did the 93 octane canned tune. I do intend to get a Diablew tune within the next month. That's why I was curious on the TB. Wanted to do that first if it makes a difference considering it's so cheap.

I believe I'll get the TB and custom tune and get rid of my Vitesse Throttle Controller at some point.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:35 PM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
On it's own, all it does is add a little better throttle response. Any ported throttle body will do that. I have a NW102 (which is ported/polished by default) and the throttle response was much better when that along with my cam and intake got installed. Definitely helps with shifting and rev-matching.

Just be careful if you try adding this and you already have a custom tune. I did this before my cam/intake/NW102 work, and the idle was bad and hung between shifts. It should be fine if you have a stock tune, but if not, you'll most likely need another tune to get the idle right.
doomi (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 01:37 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

I did the vmax and Airaid as my first mods. Throttle response did improve. I think it helped even more after I went full bolt ons, tune and throttle booster.
doomi (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by doomi
Well, I'm sold. Thanks for the input, all!

I believe I'll get the TB and custom tune and get rid of my Vitesse Throttle Controller at some point.
I will think you need to keep the Vitesse as just a throttle body itself will never overcome the built in LAG in throttle response that the Vitesse eliminates

Dave
Old 04-06-2017, 06:38 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I will think you need to keep the Vitesse as just a throttle body itself will never overcome the built in LAG in throttle response that the Vitesse eliminates

Dave
I really think that with both, you will be very happy!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:06 PM
doomi
Drifting

Good info, I'll keep the throttle controller. Doesn't hurt anything and it's not worth much to resell.

I really appreciate everyone's input. You guys are fantastic!

I do have another question. And I'm a novice when it comes to aftermarket tunes so it's a dumb one.

Why can you add a throttle body on a stock tune and be fine, but have issues with a custom tune? I'm guessing it's because a custom tune is much more precise; while a stock tune covers a broad range of conditions. But I've certainly guessed wrong before.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Good info, I'll keep the throttle controller. Doesn't hurt anything and it's not worth much to resell.

I really appreciate everyone's input. You guys are fantastic!

I do have another question. And I'm a novice when it comes to aftermarket tunes so it's a dumb one.

Why can you add a throttle body on a stock tune and be fine, but have issues with a custom tune? I'm guessing it's because a custom tune is much more precise; while a stock tune covers a broad range of conditions. But I've certainly guessed wrong before.
there is no need to tune when installing a throttle body , the ecm fuel trims can more than make up for any changes , if any , in airflow that a ported throttle body would add to a stock engine . Wot will not change either

Adding the 93 octane tune and if u have an auto, the trans tune set to firm will wake the car up !

Some turn off torgue management ... that really wakes the car up in 1st and second as tq limits the engine to 380 hp

Now add headers .... you will have more going in and more going out .... now u need a tune
drive the car for 75 miles to let the trims settle then log the car and send the log to Diablo Lew . Load the tune , drive it for 75 miles and do a wot run log , send him the log and load the one he sends you back ....

Log the car as much as you like and send to Lew to fine tune the tune

You will be happy with the result i can assure u
Dave
Old 04-12-2017, 11:24 PM
KW Baraka
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

V-max on the heads/cam LS3 in my '95 Impala.

No issues what-so-ever. Throttle response is very crisp, though.....no lag!

KW
Old 04-13-2017, 06:59 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Pete from VM knows his flow numbers and what makes sense. I had VMax Ring and It did seem to help the low speed drivability.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:53 PM
damascus1986
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

be sure you check which tb you have looks like you have a 08 as i do.
When i took my TB off i have a silver blade ( ls2) 09+ seems to be gold blade but the 08 first year of the ls3 seems to be a odd one. i believe they open in different directions although i think a tuner can fix it it may cause some problems if not tuned right away.

side not even the headers i bought said 05-08 6.0
Old 04-13-2017, 04:33 PM
doomi
Drifting

Originally Posted by damascus1986
be sure you check which tb you have looks like you have a 08 as i do.
When i took my TB off i have a silver blade ( ls2) 09+ seems to be gold blade but the 08 first year of the ls3 seems to be a odd one. i believe they open in different directions although i think a tuner can fix it it may cause some problems if not tuned right away.

side not even the headers i bought said 05-08 6.0
Yeah it's a silver blade. I was in communication with JDP Motorsports as they offer it, but their communication has been incredibly slow. I don't think I'm comfortable purchasing there.

Still looking to buy one though.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:30 PM
damascus1986
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ill be watching to see which one you go with one day i may do the same
Old 04-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 289 Likes on 270 Posts

Yeah it's a silver blade. I was in communication with JDP Motorsports as they offer it, but their communication has been incredibly slow. I don't think I'm comfortable purchasing there.

Still looking to buy one though.
Got my for my 08 from Corarado Speed"

Get notified of new replies

To VMax Throttle Body - Opinions

Quick Reply: VMax Throttle Body - Opinions